Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Problems with my neighbors

Guest Guest

Well, I'm not in agony, but this problem has been occurring and still occurs with my neighbors, especially the ones I still didn't met. For some this problem can be solved, but here it really can't be sorted out just like that, especially when neighbors are extremely greedy and rude.

It all started when I received my adorable Luna, June 2008. I've got her as a gift from my aunt, after my leg was operated in Belgrade hospital. She was more then adorable, we got bounded to each other right after she came to my home with my mom. We loved her and treated her as family. She was really small, about half a meter long, so she was really the most cutest thing owner can possess. Then that day came, time for her first walk. She didn't want to move lol, so it took us 1 month of training in the yard to accomplish what we've desired - for Luna to learn to walk. The 1st time I've took her on a walk was trough my street, all the way to a little shop which was 500m from our house. All yards in those 3 streets were full of dogs, so it wasn't long before they all began to bark and cause chaos among the street. Then right after a massive rottweiler began to bark, most of the neighbors went out in their yards and began to yell at me and Luna. I've felt embarrassed and ran home with her. The only dog she was bff with was one Irish setter next to our yard, named Lena. Luna and Lena were really good friends, and they still are. But the chaos between the neighbors and me with luna didn't end. Later, however, they got friendly, so there were no more problems with other dogs. One day, Luna met face to face with a cat. She went close to it, sniffed it, and continued walking. After that close encounter, she began to hate cats, like all other dogs do.

Today, Luna is 2 years and 2 months old. She was born back in 22nd of April 2008, and she showed much progress during these years. Today, she's a very strong female dog, when I take her to walk, I can barely hold the leash, and that always makes me smile. But... she hates cats more then ever. When she hears cats fighting, she runs all around the yard and tries to find the source of the noise. Not to mention when she sees them. When she's on a leash, I can barely manage to keep balance and not fall from her strength. We have an old grandma neighbor with a yard full of cats. When we pass next to that yard, she always pulls me towards it just to check if there are any cats lurking. The old neighbor one day started to yell at me and told some bad words just to warn me. About what, you ask? In our country, there has been some illegal activities regarding he dogs and cats. If people don't feel comfortable with some animals, they come one day with some bacon with poison (yes you heard it right, poison) and poison animals just to keep them out of their sight. My sisters beautiful doberman was poisoned by salami and we were extremely sad, her name was Boa. My brother-in-law loved her like a daughter. That's why he didn't bury her, he put her in a river and left her to go where the river wants to. And that's exactly what I don't want to happen to my dog. Luna hates the old woman's cats and always wants to chase them. The old woman saw luna 3 times chasing her cats and warned me that she will take things into her own hand. That's why I am scared, I don't want Luna to be poisoned.

Does anyone have any advices regarding this situation, please post them here. I will be more then happy to listen to them because I am quite stressed about the whole situation. I love my dog more then everything, more then myself, and I don't know if I could handle anything like her being poisoned... Dogs hate cats for god sake!!! They're natural enemies for crying out loud!!! Sad

Guest Guest
Ugh that s*cks.. it's really something out of your hand to do alone since it deals with many other people.

is it necessary for you to pass by her house? or is there any possible shortcuts or other paths you can take? cause the only way i see a solution is to simply avoid it. but if you can't then well.. bummer.

unless you can get a trainer to train your dog to not freak out at the cats, this is some difficult situation you got. Sad

and the poisoning?!?! that's just, i'm speechless... well it seems like you won't be able to talk to her about it. Have you tried to already? Sad

Guest Guest
Riuna wrote:
Ugh that s*cks.. it's really something out of your hand to do alone since it deals with many other people.

is it necessary for you to pass by her house? or is there any possible shortcuts or other paths you can take? cause the only way i see a solution is to simply avoid it. but if you can't then well.. bummer.

unless you can get a trainer to train your dog to not freak out at the cats, this is some difficult situation you got. Sad

and the poisoning?!?! that's just, i'm speechless... well it seems like you won't be able to talk to her about it. Have you tried to already? Sad

There is no way to get around that house because that house is on the way to the shop (where I always take her for a walk). I've talked with that woman once, she said: "Are you the kid who walked that dog yesterday who scared off my cats?" I've said yes, then she gave me a friendly warning. Now she's just plain rude. We don't have dog trainers in our country, only in Belgrade I think... And belgrade is 100km away from here. The poisoning is absolutely unbelievable! I don't know why people want to poison their neighbors dogs just to make them feel better. Sad

Guest Guest
you need to... MOVE TO A BETTER PLACE. MOVE TO pet society. YEAH!!

if only it was that easy.

i'm sorry i couldn't help much, it seems like most of the possible solutions are unavailable to you. Sad

Edit: i was thinking maybe you can muzzle your dog when you pass the house of cats, so your dog doesn't bark at them or w/e, but idk if you'd want to do that. it could only be temporarily until you finish walking past the house, but idk how well it'll work either

Riuna wrote:
Edit: i was thinking maybe you can muzzle your dog when you pass the house of cats, so your dog doesn't bark at them or w/e, but idk if you'd want to do that. it could only be temporarily until you finish walking past the house, but idk how well it'll work either

that would be awful! poor luna Sad

did your parents try talking to the grumpy granny?
maybe they could solve it..

Guest Guest
yeah i didn't think you'd wanna muzzle it for the dog's sake, :/ but i think it's better then risking the chance of poisoned food. X____X

Guest Guest

I've tried to put the muzzle once and ended up being kicked on the floor and licked to death
Don't get me wrong, I love my dog and wish her only the best, but muzzles are not going to work Sad

This probably won't help much, but you could start by reading books on training dogs and try and train her yourself. This will require a lot of effort, time, and patience on your part though....but if you really think your dog is in danger, can't you tell the police or something? That wouldn't work here, but I don't know how the laws are where you live. Though I don't think threatening your neighbor is the best thing. But one thing is that she has cats herself. She should know that her cats can be poisoned just as easily as a dog. Maybe she won't do anything and she's just trying to scare you. I'm sorry you are in such an awful situation. Sad

This is an awful situation hun and I can understand why you are so upset.

I used to have a dog and cats (yep at the same time lol) so I can understand this from both sides.

Yes cats and dogs are natural enemies but it is your job as Lunas owner to try and train her not to go for cats. Imagine if your Luna was a cat and someone kept walking their dog past your house and their dog kept going for Luna? Imagine how you would feel then!

Sorry hun, just trying to get you to see things from this womans point of view as well.

Dogs can be easily trained not to attack/go for cats. I did it with my dog very easily and he was a huge dog (I had a weimeraner). I suggest you look it up on line then get to work with Luna...and if you cant train her then she should be muzzled whether she likes it or not...sorry Ashamed

Guest Guest
hinapasha wrote:
This probably won't help much, but you could start by reading books on training dogs and try and train her yourself. This will require a lot of effort, time, and patience on your part though....but if you really think your dog is in danger, can't you tell the police or something? That wouldn't work here, but I don't know how the laws are where you live. Though I don't think threatening your neighbor is the best thing. But one thing is that she has cats herself. She should know that her cats can be poisoned just as easily as a dog. Maybe she won't do anything and she's just trying to scare you. I'm sorry you are in such an awful situation. Sad

Thank you so much for your kind words. I will try to train her, it'll be hard though... Ashamed

Guest Guest
lea75 wrote:
This is an awful situation hun and I can understand why you are so upset.

I used to have a dog and cats (yep at the same time lol) so I can understand this from both sides.

Yes cats and dogs are natural enemies but it is your job as Lunas owner to try and train her not to go for cats. Imagine if your Luna was a cat and someone kept walking their dog past your house and their dog kept going for Luna? Imagine how you would feel then!

Sorry hun, just trying to get you to see things from this womans point of view as well.

Dogs can be easily trained not to attack/go for cats. I did it with my dog very easily and he was a huge dog (I had a weimeraner). I suggest you look it up on line then get to work with Luna...and if you cant train her then she should be muzzled whether she likes it or not...sorry Ashamed

It's not going to be easy, but I'll try it... Thank you Lisa Ashamed The old woman feels really protective about her cats, just like me to Luna, so I understand your words ...

Lazar wrote:
hinapasha wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I will try to train her, it'll be hard though... Ashamed

You can do it! congratulations Just keep it up and remember that dogs are very smart!

Maybe you and you mother can go talk with the woman.You have to see it from both sides.She is worried about her cats and you fear for your dog.If she is still making serious threats talk to the police.I am not sure about the laws there,but the laws here are very strict on animal abuse.

Through my 34 yrs my dogs have always gotten along with cats.I have had some that do not like stranger's dogs or cats,but I have trained them when walking to ignore other pets.My grandmother had a kennel,when she retired from nursing and raised show dogs and cats. They were always trained well,not to fight ,so I was taught that the "old wives tale of natural enemies",is false.

my cats use my little dog as a pillow now lol.......I am not fussing at you,I am just an animal lover and want you to know that they really do get along well.

ask your parents for help.Bring a female with you to talk to the woman,because if you bring a man ,it may make her feel the need to just defend herself.

huge hugs!!! I know you love Luna and I would be crushed for you ,if something happened to her.

OMG what a crazy old woman!!! Poor Luna But why that woman wants to poison your dog? Sad Try to talk with her, if she won't listen ask you parents to do that or maybe even police... As I understood animals poisoning is illegal, so police would talk with her and everything would be back to normal...
If that seems too much for you (police) try to warn her too! Don't let your dog be poisoned... I think she'll understand and won't talk with these bad words and won't try to poison Luna
Just keep confidient! I mean you can warn her too (ofcourse you'll be talking bull*hit, but she can believe in you)
So good luck and hugs for Luna!!!

There is a tv show about a guy who help any kind of dog problems, its called "Dog whisperer", google it, he has written some books too, he has a page too, maybe you can find tips there congratulations

Guest Guest
bunnyfuzzyness wrote:
Maybe you and you mother can go talk with the woman.You have to see it from both sides.She is worried about her cats and you fear for your dog.If she is still making serious threats talk to the police.I am not sure about the laws there,but the laws here are very strict on animal abuse.

Through my 34 yrs my dogs have always gotten along with cats.I have had some that do not like stranger's dogs or cats,but I have trained them when walking to ignore other pets.My grandmother had a kennel,when she retired from nursing and raised show dogs and cats. They were always trained well,not to fight ,so I was taught that the "old wives tale of natural enemies",is false.

my cats use my little dog as a pillow now lol.......I am not fussing at you,I am just an animal lover and want you to know that they really do get along well.

ask your parents for help.Bring a female with you to talk to the woman,because if you bring a man ,it may make her feel the need to just defend herself.

huge hugs!!! I know you love Luna and I would be crushed for you ,if something happened to her.

Aww Kathy thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
You all know I wasn't online yesterday after 7 pm. Well I've took Luna for another walk, and she saw 2 cats. 1 orange-white, and one black. Coz it was sunny she went first for the black cat. But then I pull the leash with luna towards me and pet luna and she calmed down!!!!!!

PPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW

At least that's a step. All I have to do now is to distract her when she walks next to cats. It's pretty easy, like Lisa said...

Ill keep everyone updated on this. Let's hope that talking to that woman won't be necessary. If we make progress, I hope Luna will get used to not hating cats... Smile

Guest Guest
sinenomine wrote:
There is a tv show about a guy who help any kind of dog problems, its called "Dog whisperer", google it, he has written some books too, he has a page too, maybe you can find tips there congratulations

Oooh, there are so many pages and selections there. I better start browsing for more tips Thank you Rocio

aw!!!!!! Laz what can i say, well it depends on the dog, to be honest cause we always had dogs and cats and our dog got along with cats, a little jelous but they can be friends and yes poisoning poor innocent animals is not a solution, maybe if you are sure who is doing that call the police! we did once, when all of the sudden from the 30 cats we had in 2 weeks period had 10!!!!!

Guest Guest
Fashionista wrote:
aw!!!!!! Laz what can i say, well it depends on the dog, to be honest cause we always had dogs and cats and our dog got along with cats, a little jelous but they can be friends and yes poisoning poor innocent animals is not a solution, maybe if you are sure who is doing that call the police! we did once, when all of the sudden from the 30 cats we had in 2 weeks period had 10!!!!!

That is seriously cruel. And people do it often here Sad

i know it's horrible but once we called the police they stopped! cause they got scared!

Guest Guest

Well since the old woman only warned me I am going to train my dog not to go for cats. Then calling the police is not needed Smile

even better!!!!! congratulations we had to do that cause they tried to poison our dog to that didn't do anything! Sad

Guest Guest
Fashionista wrote:
even better!!!!! congratulations we had to do that cause they tried to poison our dog to that didn't do anything! Sad

That's so sad SadSadSadSad

i know poor dog with meetballs! and only ours and the neighbors dog and cats! mean people!

Guest Guest
Fashionista wrote:
i know poor dog with meetballs! and only ours and the neighbors dog and cats! mean people!

But you did a really right thing by calling the police SmileSmileSmile

~huge hugs~

That is a good start,Lazar.By distracting Luna and bringing your attention to you,very good!!!When you walk her,bring some dog treats with you.When you see a cat,pull her closer to you and call her name.At that time give her like half of the treat.Continue walking ,when she sees a cat ,pulls leash "tell her no,luna" and grab her attention and even if you have to do so, lean down to her level.Pet her gently and tell her no.Try to walk again.IF she walks and ignores the cat give her a treat and tell her "good Luna".If she doesn't show her the treat ,but put it back in your pocket and say ,"no ,Luna".pull her close again and try to continue walking.

it takes patience and practice.I have total faith in You and Luna!The both of you can do this.

luv ya!

Guest Guest
treats are definitely some of the best ways to train the dog in the beginning. i think kathy's advice is really worth trying if you haven't already done so!

hope you do well in training your dog and hopefully the problem will soon cease for you Lazar.

Guest Guest
bunnyfuzzyness wrote:
~huge hugs~

That is a good start,Lazar.By distracting Luna and bringing your attention to you,very good!!!When you walk her,bring some dog treats with you.When you see a cat,pull her closer to you and call her name.At that time give her like half of the treat.Continue walking ,when she sees a cat ,pulls leash "tell her no,luna" and grab her attention and even if you have to do so, lean down to her level.Pet her gently and tell her no.Try to walk again.IF she walks and ignores the cat give her a treat and tell her "good Luna".If she doesn't show her the treat ,but put it back in your pocket and say ,"no ,Luna".pull her close again and try to continue walking.

it takes patience and practice.I have total faith in You and Luna!The both of you can do this.

luv ya!

OMG Kathy I will definitely try this. Sorry for missing this post... Thank you so much!!!! You are one of my most loving and caring friends!!!!!!!

:lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox:
:lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox:
:lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox:
:lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox:
:lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox:
:lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox: :lovebox:

Guest Guest
Riuna wrote:
treats are definitely some of the best ways to train the dog in the beginning. i think kathy's advice is really worth trying if you haven't already done so!

hope you do well in training your dog and hopefully the problem will soon cease for you Lazar.

Holly you are one of the most greatest friends Lazar can possess

Guest Guest
i'm so honored to be!

Guest Guest
Riuna wrote:
i'm so honored to be!

Here are some for you

well,when we trained my dog we did the same as Kathy said
she gave really good advice for me it worked and now Bony just don't notice cats

If you you can't train Luna to not dislike cats. Try caring her when you are close to that woman's house if Luna isn't to heavy try carrying her. I was babysitting a puppy (Which couldn't be in one place for a second) i must to carry her when a barking dog walked nearby. I am that worried for (my) 2 stray dogs if one CRAZY and EVIL person comes and bullies them (kicks them and threatens them) and the dogs bite them and someone calls the dog catchers. The world is full of evil people.

Guest Guest
Tromo3 wrote:
If you you can't train Luna to not dislike cats. Try caring her when you are close to that woman's house if Luna isn't to heavy try carrying her. I was babysitting a puppy (Which couldn't be in one place for a second) i must to carry her when a barking dog walked nearby. I am that worried for (my) 2 stray dogs if one CRAZY and EVIL person comes and bullies them (kicks them and threatens them) and the dogs bite them and someone calls the dog catchers. The world is full of evil people.

Luna has 25 kg lol... She's pretty heavy and only my niece can carry her (she is 1.86m tall) coz she's strong

Guest Guest

Some bad news: My neighbors dog got poisoned. Someone threw a piece of food to her and she died. I am now so sad and so scared for Luna that we've decided to keep her in her house when we are not around. Before she was free to wonder around my lawn.

Sad

That is bad news about neighbors poisoning each others' pets.

When my husband was young, his neighbors used to shoot each others' pets! One of his cats and one of his neighbors' dogs was shot! When we were dating he would tell me stories of how bad that was in his neighborhood as a boy.

Now after hearing that I only keep my pets inside my house where no one can hurt them. But so far in my neighborhood everyone is tolerant to each others' pets and no shooting or poisoning has happened. I hope it stays good like this.

Training dogs is hard work but it can be done and dogs learn very well when you get the hang of it. You can find a lot of good dog training videos on YouTube. I will not post a url because it is against rules but I will see if the site admin will let me give you a url of a dog training video that is very useful later.

Cats are epic. But that Grandma has problems. Hopefully by "Ill take matters into my own hands" She means like calling the cops, not poisening Luna. If she did call the cops, they couldnt really be mad at you. Unless Luna has seriously injured 1 of the cats, you could even call the cops on her.