Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aphong2681

Creating Your Own Collection Catalogs

After years of collecting, how do you keep track of all of your collection? How can you
be sure that the model you bought is not the one you already have? Why not make better
use of our mobile phone?

Spoiler:

For me, I would prefer to snap at least 1 photo for each of my collection. It's easy, simple yet very helpful to me especially when I'm hunting for variants.

Spoiler:

Once you had taken all the photos, you can upload it into your pc to rename the files. I have my own naming convention which is: year_of_production+card_number (08001.jpg for 08 FE '07 Shelby GT-500). You can even group all the cars for the same year into 1 folder.

Spoiler:

Once it's done, download it to you mobile phone! Walla' you have just created your own HW
catalog. cheers

Spoiler:

I used this because official catalog by the big M never include recolors or variants. Rolling Eyes

Hope this be useful! Razz

good idea ...

since we hav so many software expert here .. maybe they can write some open software for all of us ....

Well, I'm not software expert, and it's not that sophisticated (although with my new Blackberry I could do it!), but I'm just using my photobucket.
Snap the pic and upload it there.
Ok I don't have access all the time (well, I could enable the browser..) , but I'm Ok with that.

hehe...
ur style same like mine larr aphong...
easier to hunt with those pics in hand...
coz last time before using that method...
always double purchase...
Embarassed

i keep track of my hauls by taking pics & catagorizing/labeling them by the date i bought it..

SanLino wrote:
i keep track of my hauls by taking pics & catagorizing/labeling them by the date i bought it..

real collector here.. CoolCoolCool

i always double purchase ( and sometimes even triple )

but later just rape slaughter those doubles ... Twisted EvilTwisted Evil

So do I..bought doubles if possible, but the problem is that I collect variant as well. So sometimes bought the wrong one thinking that I haven't got the variant yet. So to me, this method helps Very Happy

I bring my walking catalog/database, my son, Impavido. He practically remembers every model and color variant that he/we have, unless i bought without telling/showing him!

BoneShaker wrote:
I bring my walking catalog/database, my son, Impavido. He practically remembers every model and color variat that he/we have, unless i bought without telling/showing him!

Wow, father & son team up together! cheers Great! Ya, I do agree wif u, kids do remember better than us adults hahaha..

Hehe...
nice lar boneshaker...
got walking catalog also...
I hope one day I have kids like that too
haha
Wink

thanks for the idea mr aphong... keeping the photo in your handphone is very handy when go hunting...

mine's nokla.. 3310.. how to snap pic... Razz

great idea...

BoneShaker wrote:
I bring my walking catalog/database, my son, Impavido. He practically remembers every model and color variant that he/we have, unless i bought without telling/showing him!

yup Impavido knows every piece there is to their collection. nuts! bounce

kids could remember everything.. their mind still "bersih"

jhc7598 wrote:
gonna make my own "walking catalog" someday.. Razz

zint3000 wrote:
lol jhc...
lets all make walking catalog someday~
haha
Smile

Wah, like this the club gonna double in size in no time!

haha.. but i really take time.. huhu.. gonna need at least 4-5 years for our walking catalog to be functional. huhu.. and of course the catalogs will be joining this club. HW never die, Smile

I find it easier to rely on the catalog and pure memory. Constant reference to the catalog will also help to memorise the cars that we already have and those in the pipeline. I've tried using photos in the handphone but when under real circumstances at the toy dept, coupled with the stress, duress, hustling and bustling around when others are also looking for cars, no time to dilly dally with the handphone, one has to decide there and then whether to buy or not to buy and pick up whatever you can before it dissapears before your eyes and more often than not ended up having doubles or triples. Thank goodness Mattel Malaysia is slow in getting out the cars onto the maket to allow us time to register the cars that we have in our memory and catalog, otherwise kaput, you get doubles or triples very often. It will also be useful if one can design a simple personalised catalog by allowing variations to be recorded as some cars look the same when your eyes are betraying you and you tend to miss out. There's no fix and fast rule as to how the personalised catalog should look like but as long it suits you then fine.

Besides that, regular trip to your favourite toy departmental store (s) will also help as it would allow you to identify new cars on the shelf much easier, relying on the catalog and memory of the cars that you already have. If one doesn't drop by the toy shops often, you'll get something like; "I don't have that, no wait a minute I think i have that, but again no I don't", so we end up buying the same car and have to be slaughtered eventually as someone has mentioned earlier on.

Just my personal opinion on the whole matter after some costly mistakes made over the years. If the photos in the camera suits you, fine why not it's easier to handle that way instead of stack of papers to carry. It's purely a personal choice.

Cheers.

im still prefer using my own brain memory. since some of u guys here were always go out hunting, there is no way for u forgot which cars u have buy or not yet, rite....? Wink after all human brain is the greatest weapon....

renji's rite but sometimes we human also makes mistakes...
so in case forget...better have some extra options...
but training the brain to remember every cars is worth it~
Wink