Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
f11k11n

DIY Paint Spraying Booth - UPDATED PIC

This used to be my spraying table, no exhaust and it's dangerous for my respiration, if it's inhaled in long term can cause lung cancer. so thinking of buying a spray booth for safety reason.

Original factory made ( don't know what brand ) paint spray booth cost around RM400, Tamiya brand cost more than that.
Saw a post in other forum about using cardboard to built a spray booth, then I search youtube for tutorial for DIY spray booth, see one video using big box plastic container as the booth, but this is quite expensive, so i bought triplek for cost saving.

This is what i do

From the big triplex cut into smaller pieces, then assemble into this

This is for the base

First i try to use it as my booth base, but my booth is quite heavy since i use 12mm triplex. in my opinion, better use thinner triplex and use only thick triplex (12mm) as the framework, use the thin triplex (3mm) as cover for lighter spray booth. But later I change it to the iron base from unused table i found in my house.

For the exhaust, I used 2 pcs of unused 12cm unsused computer fan and bought an adaptor since computer fan is using direct current and have the seller modify the connector for me.

This is the result

This is the hive to trap the overspray paint before being exhausted, made from cardboard

ATTENTION, for DIY work, please wear safety google and safety gloves all times when doing things, or else you'll end up like this. I cut my finger accidentally when cutting cardboard to make the hive, the wounds is 4 days already and still wet till today.

I'll post out the exhaust pic tomorrow, forgot to take the pic. This project takes me 2 weeks to complete, actual working hour around 12 hours to complete

Cost damage compare to original factory make:
Brandless factory made : RM 400
Tamiya brand : maybe around RM 600

My booth material:
- triplex (1,2meter x 2,4meter RM45, use only half of it ) RM 25
- Fee to ask carpenter to cut the triplex into my custom dimension RM 20 ( I do own an electric jigsaw, but the result is not very good compare to the carpenter using Rotary sawblade, can use manual jigsaw also, i don't recommend this, can take a long time )
- screw used RM 10
- fan for exhaust Free
- adaptor for fan RM 10
- the iron base Free
- the exhaust cover RM 20
- 1 can of white paint RM 5
- cardboard to make hive Free
- glue for making hive RM 3

Total damage more or less RM 100, the satisfactory feeling PRICELESS.......... lol!

A quater of the triplex also during cut into custom dimension to build a DIY Oven for fast drying, will post it out when it's done.

This is the exhaust cover, I install electric connector at the roof of the booth to connect my compressor, the exhaust fan and the lamp.

Booth without lamp, depends on the lamp outside

Since I'm usually painting at night, I decided to install a lamp inside the booth

The different between lamp on and lamp off

Today I just tried the fan after installing the hive, but seem the hive is too far and the fan suction is not very strong, maybe because of the booth too open ( Not too vacum ), will try to move the hive nearer the fan and attach some cover on the booth. Will update later with the video when all is done.

But anyway, i'm already satisfied with the booth also some fumes still run away, but the smelly odour has decreased a lot.

Thanks for sharing on this.

But I wonder if those fans are strong enough to draw out the fumes?

sinclair wrote:

Will upload the video to show to you guys hehehe i've tried it and no problem, too strong suction also no good as it will cause turbulence when you spraying.

I got proposal for u overspray hive ... the final layer u wrap with fish tank filter ... it works 98 percent

enyomic wrote:
I got proposal for u overspray hive ... the final layer u wrap with fish tank filter ... it works 98 percent

Yes, I have see it in the factory built model, but i just afraid it will become too thick and the fan won't be strong enough to suck the fumes.
Until now i haven't tried my booth because of my finger wound haven't cured yet, afraid of the thinner if i try to paint. Later on will try which one better, with or without the filter.

f11k11n wrote:
sinclair wrote:

Will upload the video to show to you guys hehehe i've tried it and no problem, too strong suction also no good as it will cause turbulence when you spraying.

Yes, makes sense not to have too strong a fan. Appreciate your video.

Fukun ... I suggest u upgrade the fan to those used in the toilet ..... those exhaust fan .. will give u more POWER .... will built mine soon once i clear up my workshop space

bro, the wound on ur finger is quite bad la... better if u get some stitches. or at least a proper wound dressing from clinic. so that can heal faster, and do ur customs faster.. Razz

enyomic wrote:
Fukun ... I suggest u upgrade the fan to those used in the toilet ..... those exhaust fan .. will give u more POWER .... will built mine soon once i clear up my workshop space

toilet exhaust fan is quite big, the smallest size i can find here is 8" or around 24cm x 24 cm square. too big already hehehe i think i'll just put my hive nearer to the fan so that it can suck the fumes stronger. I think the using of hive is to protect the fan for not being sprayed with fan directly.

danny_sp15 wrote:
bro, the wound on ur finger is quite bad la... better if u get some stitches. or at least a proper wound dressing from clinic. so that can heal faster, and do ur customs faster.. Razz

10 days already and the wound already healing and dried, I just cover it with handyplast and replace it everytime i take a bath or when i accidentally make it wet when i wash my hand. Just keep it dry all the time prevent it from infection. Thx for the suggestion hehehe