Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

David Cook brings rock n roll to Central Florida

Guest Guest
SOURCE<~links to pictures at the end of article here.

When a band is 150 dates into their tour you would think the time on the road would start to show. Not the case with 2008 American Idol winner David Cook and his band the Anthemic. The Idol winner rocked central Florida this past weekend with a pair of high energy first class shows. Cook’s “Declaration Tour” made its way into St Petersburg at the Mchaffey Theater on Friday and the Hard Rock Live at Universal City Walk in Orlando on Saturday. Having seen David & Co for the first time last July I was pleasantly surprised to see that the band appeared more relaxed and even more of a cohesive unit then I remember from my first go round.

Fridays show at the Mchaffey Theater had an odd mix in attendance which made for an slightly awkward evening at times. A good portion of the crowd seemed older then what one would expect at a typical Friday night rock show. It seemed as if many came out to see “David Cook the American Idol” rather then “David Cook the Rockstar.” The crowd, which remained slightly stuffy through a majority of the set, hesitantly rose from their seats at Cooks’ urging (and a promise of a visit to the back of the venue by Cook himself by the end of the night).

I was lucky enough to be seated near the front of the venue but unfortunately had to witness the clash of the “David Cook Super Fans” and some of those who didn’t seem to share the same over-the-top enthusiasm for the bands. Things took a nasty turn with security visiting the center rows of the pit section multiple times to tame the situation. If I may give a bit of advice; ladies, while your love and dedication of the “Cookie” (and his support acts) is appreciated the negative attitude, cursing and simple disrespect of others around you was not. Your behavior does reflect on the artists. Keep in mind you just never know who is watching.

As for Cook he was exceptional giving every bit of vocal power seen on Idol and combining that with his inner hard rocker. While the music from his debut album is pop/rock it appears that Cook is most comfortable on hard rocking tracks including music from his pre-Idol album Analog Heart, the hidden track on his current effort “Kiss on the Neck” and the song “Souvenir” which didn’t make the album cut.

One of the big highlights of the evening was Cook singling out little Lindsey Rose from Tampa. Lindsey is the young girl who’s father Charley Belcher, a reporter from the Tampa FOX affiliate, interviewed Cook in 2008 telling him about his daughter’s battle with the leukemia and her love of the Idol finalist. After the interview Cook called Lindsey and also sported the orange band in support of her during his Idol run. Cook has remained friends with the family and he told the crowd he tries to spend time with them when he returns to the area.

Even though he didn’t perform anything from his Idol season he did perform two covers including Cutting Crews “Died in your Arms Tonight” and Johnny Hates Jazz “Shattered Dreams.” The later of which he mentioned is currently on a featured poll on the website zaptoit.com where he encouraged fans to vote. The night concluded with Cooks promised visit out into the crowd during his hit song “Light On.”

Saturday nights show was more the type of crowd I was expecting; mainly women in their 20’s & 30’s having a girls night out. That sprinkled with a variety of teens (both guys and gals) and families throughout the Hard Rock Live. The screams and squeals were in full force and the crowd loved what they saw. The crowd was fired up and Cook delivered. With a different set list (doing my research I found out he has had over 140 different set lists in just over 150 shows) Saturday’s show seemed to have just a tiny bit more spunk – he seemed to rock a little bit harder and the crowd seemed to scream a little bit louder.

Other then Cook’s obvious talent of being able to sing anything and sounding remarkable he is also really at ease in the spotlight. Cracking playful jokes at the crowd and laughing at his own silly remarks he has an uncanny way of bringing a smile to anyone’s face. His onstage banter last just long enough to give the fans a sense of who he really is without over doing it. Cook performed many of the tracks from his platinum album including “Declaration” and his current single “Come Back to Me.” Everything he performed seemed to have a bit more edge to them then their album counterparts leading me to believe a slightly edgier Cook will emerge with his follow up album.

As a huge David Cook supporter (yes I was voting on multiple phones every Tuesday night) I have to say my highlight of the weekend came when Cook stepped back from the microphone with only a glow of a loan spotlight. Motioning the crowd to silence he dove into a heartfelt acappella version of Lie [view the acappella clip here]. This moment stopped at nothing short of spectacular and showed why Cook is one of the more successful artists to emerge from the Idol machine. If anyone ever questions the validity of American Idol being a singing competition they need to come out to a David Cook show. He is every bit “rockstar” as he is true vocalist.

Cook wrapped up the “Declaration tour” this week in Charlotte, NC. He is currently writing in New York City and will return to Missouri to spend the holidays with his family. Cook will then head into the studio after the holidays to record the sophomore follow up to his post idol album. Check out Cook on December 7th as he performs on fellow Idol Winner Carrie Underwood’s holiday special on FOX.

Umm..not sure how I feel about this...Good review for David-bad review for fans...

Yeah I agree. It was a little weird, made me a bit uncomfortable reading it.

good review.
there'll always be the "intrusive fans" but we all know they' re a minority.
Smile