Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

12/09/11 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza Concert

Where to start?

Okay, the beginning. Jamie is awesome and bought me a M&G. HeartHeartHeart David was really, really, really sweet. I gave him something that was just something I wrote quickly to maybe make him laugh. He read the whole thing right there, like, really read it, and smiled, and maybe giggled, I have a terrible memory, lol. Then he was all asking me questions about it and shit like he was interested in my writing and writing process. IDK, it was just, he was just, really nice.

The show. I thought it had great potential to be one of those transcendent shows when the crowd was deafening me before he even dang a single note. Before Circadian was even over, I knew it was going to be one for the ages. The energy in there was unbelievable and David was soaking in every last ounce of it and giving every ounce of it back to us.

I wanted Rock n Roll SOOOOOO bad. I wanted anything at all with no guitar sooooooo bad lol, and was soooooooo denied at Allentown. But particularly R&R. By the first chorus of Circadian I was already in the stratosphere. By the time Dogman came around, with their drummer, I was completely insane and then I started freaking because he took the guitar off lol. Then Dogman is FUCKING AWESOME.

Then the guitar STAYED off! For GTTG which is my favorite. I was dying. He didn't just take the guitar off for these songs, he WORKED it. JUST the way I missed so, so much. And this song just kills me. And his voice in it. I was beyond dead.

The the guitar STAYED off for the first half of BBS! It was ah-mazing. Then the guitar part was ah-mazing. Every song he did rocking that guitar was amazing too, but I just have a thing for the way he interacts with the rest of the band and the audience so much more without the guitar on and wish he'd do a few like that every show.

He. did. 5 1/2.

Eight Days a week being #3.5, and I loooooooved it. Those guys, "boys" as Maureen put it, lol, were having so much fun for it. And then, when SVZ STAYED for R&R? Holy. Fucking. SHIT! I wanted R&R. What I got was R&R times a MILLION. AND it was guitarless #4.5.

THEN, it's like, it is completely impossible for this show to get any better. Then FIM. The tears in his eyes at the end of that, his actual speechlessness, I am in tears just remembering. He sang it impeccably. And, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it seemed to me when he stepped back and let us sing, he didn't just step back. He faded out and our voices (which had all been singing along the entire song BTW), faded in. And he was still singing, just not into the mic, so his voice was one of ours. It was beautiful. Beautiful. Amazing.

And then REM. omg. I love this song live and it's such a heavy guitar song I was shocked when he, like, ripped the guitar off and practically tossed it at the guitar tech. The guy tried to give it back to him later and David waved him off. I think it's because he knew he was going to come down to hang over the crowd like he did. And Jamie was front row Andy side and I was right behind her and David was RIGHT. THERE. Singing his heart out, reaching out to touch as many people as he could. And he wasn't there for like 15 seconds. He was there a LONG time. Just hanging over the crowd right next to us.

I know he's come into the crowd a number of times before, and he didn't come walk through us this time like he has others, but I have never been at a show where it happened and it's... I have no words. Other than there could not have been a more perfect ending to the perfect show. I thought the York show was transcendent. I think a year from now I will still consider it one of his best. But this show, this show was something else entirely than anything else I've been at with him. I am in awe. Utter awe at his amazingness. I miss him already up there on that stage. And down with us. Smile

I'm going to crash now - it's 3 1/2 hours past my usual bedtime. I'll check back to see what other goodies have been posted in the morning.

Sweet dreams, everyone. I know mine will be.

Guest Guest
Lori, Jamie, Stacy, Mal, and everyone else who was there... thank you for sharing your recaps and pictures with us. I am still this morning, so freaking happy for all of you. That show was simply amazing!

And to Kristin, who I know really wanted to just enjoy the show, but agreed to do the audio only stream for us... a HUGE thank you! It was such clear sound, and honestly when you put the camera up for the encore, so we could watch the fun of SVZ and Ryan, and left it up for the rest of the show, it was fantastic. Thank you again.

Stacy FIM was amazing even on the stream... that is a perfect description of how the part where the crowd sang sounded. NYC, I thank you all too... that was the loudest I've heard a crowd be for a sustained period of time. Meaning the entire show, lol.

I'm still on a high this morning, and I wasn't even there in person.

*off to see if any videos came up during the night*

Guest Guest

John's Circadian:

Guest Guest

Another 8 Days a Week and Rock and Roll by spn7191:

Guest Guest

Mr S by Cookiecake4me:

Guest Guest
Quote :
David Cook @thedavidcook

Thank you, NYC, and thanks to @StevieVanZandt, @RyanStar, Jerry from Kings X, @MVZaGoGo, and all else who helped make tonight amazing!

Quote :
Andy Skib @andyskib

Such an amazing night in NYC tonight!! Got to play with @StevieVanZandt and Jerry from @KingsX!!

Quote :
Devin Bronson @TheRealDevinB

Tonight was mind blowing NYC!!! Thank you Stevie Van Zandt, Jerry Gaskill, and Ryan Star for sitting in with us!!

Quote :
Maureen Van Zandt @MVZaGoGo

@LibertineLament it was all SVZ's idea about the Beatles song. I can't believe they learned it in about half an hour.

Guest Guest

8 Days a Week and Rock and Roll by justicelvr:

Guest Guest

FIM with banter by DblJerseyGirl:

@Piper wrote:
The Wave The Day finally came !! The Wave
Have a blast Stacy and all the lucky ones going !! I have a feeling this show will be so special !! DC CheerleaderGo WordNerds!Yahoo!

I had the feeling it'd be AMAZING - and it was !! Lucky Ones who were there !! Dancin Smiley

Thanks for the recaps, photos and videos !!
I'm happy you all had a blast and lots of treats - guitarless songs, David near the audience.... High Five!

My next dream is to be able to attend an epic show like this !! Fingers Crossed!!!

Guest Guest

Banter and GTTG by DblJerseyGirl"

Guest Guest

Dogman by DblJerseyGirl

Guest Guest

DblJerseyGirl's Circadian:

Guest Guest
I haven't said it enough, but a HUGE thank you to everyone who has posted pictures, taken videos, written recaps, livestreamed and shared their This Loud Morning tewer experiences. Whilst living vicariously through others probably doesn't come close to what it would be like to experience it real life, I am so grateful and appreciative to everyone.

Guest Guest

DblJerseyGirl's banter and LMFFY:

THEN, it's like, it is completely impossible for this show to get any better. Then FIM. The tears in his eyes at the end of that, his actual speechlessness, I am in tears just remembering. He sang it impeccably. And, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it seemed to me when he stepped back and let us sing, he didn't just step back. He faded out and our voices (which had all been singing along the entire song BTW), faded in. And he was still singing, just not into the mic, so his voice was one of ours. It was beautiful. Beautiful. Amazing.

Accurately described!

There was also the point towards the middle of the show where he COULD NOT segue into the next song because we were all screaming so much. So he just gave up and stood back until it died down. Except it WASN'T. I've been to 3 Archie shows, and his fans have a reputation for being rabid. Well, this crowd positively TRUMPED anything I've ever witnessed at an Archie show.

REM is, hands down, the most magical moment I've ever experienced at a concert. I tried explaining it to my bf this morning and of course he didn't understand. I tried but I'm sure many of you have the same barrier where he thinks, "She's just ecstatic because she touched him." And it wasn't that AT ALL... okay, so the act of it contributed to the epicness of the moment some, but it was just... it was almost like he wouldn't have been able to finish the song unless we all reached out to replenish his energy (and vice versa). Like he needed to be sure we were all real (and vice versa). I really do feel like he could have stood there all night like that, like as long as the music is playing, he ceases to even be aware of where he is and what he's doing.

It was just so unbelievable. It was worth the 3-year wait and if I had to wait another 3 years to experience a show of this magnitude, I would do it.

I whole-heartedly agree with those statements. Personally, I still can't put anything into words that will adeqautely describe what I felt/saw/heard last night. I don't think I will ever be able to convey my emotions into coherent thoughts. Just.... HeartExcitedShockedAwww LoveMega RockGroup Hug1Thud_oldDroolCrying non-stopHeart

Maybe I'll write a recap eventually. In the meantime, I bring more pictures. I'm slowly going through all 500 of them and will post them throughout the morning and weekend.

NYC Irving Plaza 351 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

Guest Guest
Lori, we get it... even if others don't. Dave has mentioned several times in interviews (as recently as yesterday) about how he wants to tear down the wall between the band and the audience. And he does... like no other artist I've ever seen live. He feeds off the audience, and they feed off him. It's this symbiotic relationship he has with his fans.

In his ABC interview yesterday, he was talking about how even he has noticed how when he comes onstage, he's different than he is in his private life. The interviewer said, "So it's like you're acting?" and he said "No, it's like this other side of me comes out when I'm on stage." He likened it to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (in a good way.) When he's on stage, he becomes this totally mesmerizing person, and I think that's part of that mutual performer/audience coming together. And last night was one of those "perfect storm" moments... there was no wall there at all. The audience became a part of the show.

I'm so glad his label execs were there at this show, to have seen that happen.

I hope he ends EVERY tour from now on in NYC. Or any other town where he has unfailingly receives anything close to the kind of reception he always gets here.

I don't say that because I live here. It it were Katmandu that this kind of show were to happen at I'd say there, lol.

Guest Guest

Thanks, Jamie! Can't wait to see the rest of your videos!

Here's John's Life on the Moon:

Guest Guest
I can't stop smiling and crying reading these recaps and watching the videos.

OMGG!!! thanks everyone for sharing all this!!!! Crying non-stop
It really feels like I was there too! Drool
WOAAH really AWESOME! Very Happy

A friend of mine brought a girl with her who had never been to a concert, and I can tell you, that girl was grinning from ear to ear after the show. What an experience for her! Very Happy

Guest Guest

Justicelvr's FIM with before and after banter... you can even see the tears in his eyes at the end. NYC crowd, you showed him the love!

Oh my god ..I wasnt even at this show and it was just so epic i can only imagine how everyone who was there is feeling most likely speechless but everyone who was there was so lucky there were like a thousand people who wish they could've been there ( myself included) . Watching these videos i'm getting all choked up next NYC show or whatever city he ends the tour in I am going no matter what the circumstances are. Happy for everyone Heart

Jeannie wrote:
Justicelvr's FIM with before and after banter... you can even see the tears in his eyes at the end. NYC crowd, you showed him the love!

What a great video. The performance was...mesmerizing, and then his reaction afterward was priceless. I don't know who's video this is but God Bless them for having the where-with-all to not turn the camera off after the song. kwim?

Jeannie wrote:

What a great video. The performance was...mesmerizing, and then his reaction afterward was priceless. I don't know who's video this is but God Bless them for having the where-with-all to not turn the camera off after the song. kwim?

Awww Love wow that fade into me video was beautiful!

I'm so very greatful for all of you sharing you're reviews and photos and videos with all of us that couldn't attend the shows. I'm more than greatful Smile All of you are so amazingly sweet! Very Happy

I've got tears streaming down my face after watching the FIM video. I still can't put any of these emotions into words yet...

On a different note, Kings X posted the video of Dogman on their Facebook. They're enamored with Dave Very Happy

I've got tears streaming down my face after watching the FIM video. I still can't put any of these emotions into words yet...

On a different note, Kings X posted the video of Dogman on their Facebook. They're enamored with Dave Very Happy

Jamie do you have a link for that fb page. I had it last week, but lost it.

Guest Guest

Here you go, Viv. Kings X on Facebook

Like 52 comments so far and almost all of them positive. Great

So, in short… yesterday was the greatest day ever. I would seriously go back and live it over and over again like… forever. Absolutely everything turned out perfect in the end and I really don't think I would have changed a thing.
We arrived at Irving Plaza around 2:15 and got in line. I talked with some really cool people while standing there for a while. Then Andrew came out and he moved us all into one line and stood right in front of us. When he was holding the VIP passes, he looked at my brother and was like, "Hey, you guys want to be front of the line for everything?" So of course, we said yes. I helped him hand out all the VIP passes and helped him pronounce the names he was butchering off the list.
So he brought us to the front of the line so that we were first in line for the M&G, which actually made me really nervous because I was the first to go in and meet the band. I was standing in line behind my brother who was going to meet the band first, and then once Dave and the guys came out, he pushed me in front of him and made me go first.
I went to Dave and he was like, "Hi! What's your name?" So I told him, and he was like, "It's nice to meet you, Mallory. How are you doing?" After I answered, I gave him the shirt (which said 'Keep Calm and Carry Duct Tape') and told him that as long as he had duct tape, he would be safe from any wardrobe malefactions. He sighed as the other guys teased him about it and he was all like, "Thanks for the reminder'.
Basically… David has the most gorgeous eyes… well, the most gorgeous everything that I have ever seen on a human being and I really doubt that any picture truly does that justice. On top of that, I don't think any interview or song will ever do justice to how much of a sweetheart he is. I'm probably one of the most awkward and weird people out there, but he was seriously, just so sweet to me, as he had been the last time I met him as well. After being a fan for almost four years now, I was shocked beyond belief at how absolutely genuine and kind he really is. I just, I don't understand how anyone could say anything bad about the guy. Whether someone likes his music or not, he's got to be one of the most real, sweet, and incredible people out there.
He signed my pass and told me that my gift was really hilarious and great and that it was awesome to meet me. As I was walking away, my dad was chatting with Monty and he was like, "Hey! Are you Monty?" And Monty, being the champ that he is, was like, "Well, yep. That's me, alright," and went on to sign my dad's pass for him.
The only bad thing about the night was the fact that my memory card for my new Canon Rebel was not in the camera, so all the pictures my dad took of David and I didn't save and I was going to have to use my small, less nice camera for the show since we couldn't run out to grab a memory card before the show started.
So then we waited for a while since there were a ton of VIPs for this show. Andrew chatted with us for a while and got to know my dad on a first name basis, which was pretty hilarious. They talked about football for a while and it was just so funny to watch them really have intense discussions about sports.
It felt like it took forever for us to finally get up to soundcheck, but it wasn't all that bad because Andrew kept entertaining us since we were at the front of the line to get in. He was like, "I have no power in this family because I'm the little brother! There's all these fans waiting and David just keeps doing stupid things with his guitar that aren't even songs! You're done in there! Stop being dumb!" and kicking trash cans because David kept telling them that they weren't ready for soundcheck yet.
We finally got in, and I was front row center in front of David. They played Circadian and Stockholm Syndrome. While watching soundcheck, I realized how great of a guitar player David really is. I mean, Devin is a friggen beast, but David is really great too. I'd never really been too close to notice it before this show, so I was impressed.
Then we went out and we waited for a while. I spent most of my cash on merch outside. And then they let us in. There was a mad rush for the front of the stage, but I made it to second row in front of David. My brother and I had great spots, and then this one lady shoved us over so she could have our spot, which made us really cramped, so I had to teach my brother how to be defensive and push people when they got out of line.
The show started with Zander, who I didn't think was completely awful, but he definitely wasn't my cup of tea. He was like Constantine on crack, which wasn't really a great thing, and his pants were a bit too shiny. His songs weren't terrible and some of them were kind of catchy, but I have a feeling that in like twenty years, he's going to be the new Rick Roll.
Then David came on, and everyone was just flipping out. Circadian was awesome to open and he was clearly in a great mood. Hearing these songs live was like… a surreal experience to me… seeing him live was really an experience to me. I hadn't been to a show of his in over two years, so it was like shell shock to be at a concert again, especially one where I was so close.
I was pleasantly surprised to hear Life on the Moon because I'd only heard it once on the Declaration Tour, so I thought it was cool that he was playing it again on this tour. During Come Back to Me, everyone was singing so loud and it was really incredible. The crowd for this show was absolutely insane. They just would not stop cheering and it was just amazing.
I hadn't had the chance to watch any of the Dogman performances he's done, so I really had no clue how the song was going to be, but it was awesome, and it was super neat that the drummer was so cool with playing with the band. The lighting that they had for that song was perfect and almost all of my pictures from that song came out awesome.
Dave joked before GTTG that he had made the set list, so it was a bit inconsistent, and then went from a heavy metal song to a ballad, which was adorable. GTTG is gorgeous live. I had made it a point to not watch many videos from the tour because I really wanted to have that first live experience with the songs myself, and I'm glad I opted for that because it made hearing them live for the first time that much more awesome.
Bar-ba-sol and LO were awesome, and by the end of Light On, I saw Ryan standing by the side of the stage, and started freaking out because I figured he had to be coming on to sing with them, and then Stevie was there too. When they both came out to do 8 Days a Week, the crowd was pretty much flipping their shit. I loved the cover, which was really an interesting choice that I think Stevie came up with. They were all having such a good time.
Rock N Roll was epic too. I'd watched video before, but it didn't do justice to how awesome Dave was. He's really got some of the best vocals I have ever heard, if not the best. He can seriously scream, which I didn't really know he could do so well.
Fade Into Me… gah… this song is gorgeous. It was just David and his guitar on stage and he sang it so flawlessly. The crowd reacted so well and I had chills just listening to them sing the song back to him. They were so loud and you could hear every single word they were saying through the whole song. It was just so surreal, and David was just so humbled by the fact that all these people cared so much about what he was doing.
I think that the after banter from Fade Into Me was probably some of the best of the whole tour. To me, that moment was just paramount. It made me realize how much I really idolized David and how much respect and admiration I have for him. The entire night, I had been in awe of watching him perform, not even aware of how truly incredible he was. And now, looking back, it seems surreal to watch him do what he loves and see how passionate he is about performing. I can't really put into words how big of an impression it leaves on me to watch him perform.
More than the M&G, more than all the waiting and crap and drama that goes on in the fandom sometimes, it's moments like watching him tear up when the audience sings back to him that really emphasize why we're all here as fans and how much it means to him that we spend all this money, travel all these miles just to see him perform. And I think that no matter how happy and amazing it feels for us to watch him perform, it doesn't even begin to compare to happy he feels seeing us respond and seeing how happy he's making us.
Just before REM, the woman in front of me, grabbed me and put me in her spot up against the barricade, telling me, "You will never ever see a concert this great in your entire life again. Enjoy this." I was right front row in front of David. For that song, I put away my camera, put away my phone and just watched the show because she was right… being here and watching this song, which even the recorded version just moves me so much, live was something that I would never forget and it was probably one of the most special and perfect moments of my life, thus far… and probably forever too. He came into the crowd and stood up on the barricades right in front of me and was letting people grab at him and hold his hand and such and he was pretty much on top of me, which was probably one of the greatest things ever.
By the time the show was over, I don't think anyone in the crowd knew what they were supposed to do. They were all just speechless and in awe of what they had just seen. I went to Stacy and Jaime, who were both unable to really speak. Stacy just squeezed me for a little while because we were all unable to really do anything else. I think it was a general consensus that nothing would ever beat this concert. I seriously think it was the best show Dave has ever put on.
I have actually never been prouder to be a David Cook fan than I was last night. Seeing a show like that puts everything in perspective for me and it was seriously the single greatest night I think I've ever had.

Guest Guest

Aww Mal.. Hug Thank you for sharing that with all of us. It's one of the things I love about this fandom... we can't all always be at every concert (even if we wish we could) but the fans that can are always so generous with sharing their stories, their photos, and their videos, and making us feel like we were there too. I'm so happy that you got to this show, and how sweet that woman put you up front for REM!

Like I said earlier, last night just seemed like the perfect storm... all the elements - Dave, the band, the guest singers, and the audience - came together in the exact right way, and the result was momentous.

I admit, I'm a bit jealous of those of you who were there, but I'm also so happy for you. And for Dave. And for Kristen who streamed it for those of us at home to feel like we got to be a little part of it too.

That FIM video is just amazing. How that must have felt to him... I'm so happy she recorded his reaction after.

So I'm in the air now and I have in-flight wi-fi again, so I'll be uploading pictures from 34000 feet Smile

NYC Irving Plaza 359 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

Irving Plaza NYC 360 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

There is so much I want to say, but I can't seem to find the words. They just will not form. I want to say thank you for sharing your pics, vids, recaps, etc. with us, but thank you doesn't quite cover it.

Once again I find myself rendered speechless because of this man.

Just....WOW?...

I wonder if the label peeps who were there last night picked up on any of this? kwim? Was it just a guy on stage singing his songs? Or are they able to pick up on the energy flowing from the stage to the fans and back to the stage again?

Someone above mentioned a type of symbiosis between Dave and his fans. I think that is the perfect word for it. symbiosis.

@vsteph1 wrote:
I wonder if the label peeps who were there last night picked up on any of this? kwim? Was it just a guy on stage singing his songs? Or are they able to pick up on the energy flowing from the stage to the fans and back to the stage again?

It is absolutely impossible that anyone could have been in that theater and not picked up on been swept up in the energy of the night.

I cried in the airport and on the plane. I might cry again once I get home and unpack.

In the meantime. How much more epic could it have been....?

NYC Irving Plaza 422 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 420 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 427 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

BTW, the reason I can't stop crying again is partially the FIM video and partially Mal's eloquent recap and partially her and Jamie's excellent photos. Thank you. I swear I love great recaps as much if I was there as if I wasn't - a great recap makes you live, or in this case, relive the experience through someone else's eyes. But it's not really someone else's eyes - because they are a fan just just like you are. They get it.

No REM video yet? Not that I'm DYING for it with so many other great ones up but... I'm DYING to relive it.

Oh, and BTW, Jamie will attest to the wonder and greatness of a small gadget i have that I think you all should have as long as you have a a wi-fi network and a decent TV already. My TV is fairly small but still it makes all the difference in the world: The gadget is called Apple TV. It's a tiny little box you sit near your TV (like, on your cable or DVD box) and plug in and link to your wi-fi. It's $99 but there are no monthly fees. With it you can get Netflix movies if you have that, or rent movies/TV shows/whatever through the device or a few other things. The "other thing" of importance is that you can watch youtube videos on it. Scroll up and look at one of the videos in this thread. Now imagine if full-size on your living room HDTV. Best $99 you'll ever spend (other than on good headphones - I spent twice that on my headphones and would spend twice again as much to hear David with perfect clarity). Anyway, it's the holiday season. And if you have family member/other people close to you who are like, "What do you want for Christmas/Chanukah/etc?" and you never know what answer to feed them, this holiday season you do. Wink

lol, Mal, when Jamie first showed me the photos on her phone last night, that was both of our exact reaction. LOL flag The look of utter awe on your and everyone's faces.

I think I've told Jamie 5 times already that the reason her photos of the 2nd half of REM are so exquisite to me are all the faces in the crowd. Especially yours. Wink Well, also that you can see David singing his fucking heart out and reaching out to try to touch every single person there he could. HeartHeart

Guest Guest
And Kyle weighs in:

Quote :
KYLE S PEEK @KYLESPEEK

Still cant believe that I got 2 perform with @StevieVanZandt last night! Such an honor & a blessing. What a way to end the tour. Thanks man!

Quote :
KYLE S PEEK @KYLESPEEK

Oh yeah, AND.... I jumped off @andyskib's piano. That was pretty cool too. Definitely a first.

Quote :
Andy Skib @andyskib

@KYLESPEEK you can jump off my piano any time buddy!

These aren't as sharp but they have to be shared. He couldn't get enough of the crowd. He wanted to touch everyone, and be touched in returned. He stood there FOREVER it seemed like.

NYC Irving Plaza 434 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 431 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

Found an REM! Sound is not great but it's the first uploaded so in the thread it goes for all to see!!!!!

by SPN7191

Great vantage point, too.

Sharing these too. I know they aren't high quality but....

NYC Irving Plaza 426 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 425 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 424 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 423 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

Guest Guest
Oh damn that is amazing. I got goosebumps just looking at Jamie's photos.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.