Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

12/09/11 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza Concert

Guest Guest
Quote :
At the end of the show, apart from being at a loss for words, my main emotion was that I really love the whole band. And I find it weird to say that I love people I don't know but I am sure you understand what I mean. I love being a fan of a bunch of dudes who make noise for a living and that the music actually makes you feel something. And I love being part of a fandom who will share everything they can. And I love feeling like I actually belong somewhere, with likeminded people who understand that.

Cecil, I think you just summed up perfectly what it is to be a fan of David, and why we are all still here... and will continue to be here. Perfectly said!

brokensmile wrote:
I

I was so happy for Dave for having such an amazing crowd who just loved him, having great band mates who gel so well and how evident it was that Dave was doing what he was born to do and the show was just all around epic. But then I was sad that it was the last show for the year at least. Then I was excited for the thought of a possible new record and that a release in Japan and possible Europe tewer are in the works (I have fingers crossed that Australia will soon know what an amazing talent Dave and the boys are). But then I was also disappointed that he thinks he needs to record a new record already when TLM has not received the recognition that it deserves. After realising he was IN the audience at the end of REM...I was glad my daughter wasn't in the room while I tried to stop myself from crying (she already thinks I am a crazy Cook fan). The FIM video did me in last night and I was a babbling mess when I posted last night. I now see that I wasn't the only one and that you all understand.

This bothers me on so many levels. Every time I hear him say I gotta get back into the studio and make a new record I just want to scream: No you don't! I still wanna hear the one you just released. It still needs to be heard and recognized. It is fucking awesome!

It makes me sad to think that he thinks anything less. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he knows that TLM is fucking amazing. Maybe he understands that someone dropped the ball with promo. Maybe not.

Don't get me wrong. New music from this man is ALWAYS desired. But I just some how feel sad about him possibly not realizing how amazing TLM is because of what TPTB might be saying to him.

Also, I cannot wait for the International community to see him live. I cannot wait to read all of your recaps. I so hope it happens soon!

Guest Guest
You know, from the point of view of the music business today... putting out a new record ASAP is not a bad idea. Yes, TLM is awesome. I LOVE it. But in this day and age, speaking realistically, it's probably not going to sell a whole lot more.

Don't get me wrong, it's sold over a 100 K and that is really good now, unless you are a Gaga, or another of the select few. But it's not the type of music that is mega popular now. And that's fine... it's a genre that has it's fans, but they are limited. Keeping pushing it probably won't do a lot for it. And the more singles you release from the same album, the less press each is going to get to have.

Put out a new record, and get the resulting publicity, and your prior records will get some sales from it as well. Especially if you toss some of the songs in your sets as you tour, like he's doing now with DCTR.

He took a LONG time to get TLM out there. It's totally worth it, but casual fans are fickle. A lot of them had moved on. He's pretty much had to start over with TLM, and without the post-Idol bump he had with DCTR. It's probably in his best interest to get new material out there ASAP. That doesn't mean he's giving up on TLM, or that he thinks it wasn't a success. It means he's thinking strategically about the future.

Just my opinion of course, but I think it's probably the best course of action he can take. Because the new album will get new publicity, and hopefully that will garner more new ears... who will eventually look at all his past music, including TLM.

With what Jeannie said, he's received a lot more exposure lately and he will probably garner some interest after having Stevie Van Zandt play with him since Maureen has been spreading the video around. As good as the co-headlining tour was, I think he needs to get on the road with a BIG act and open. That's probably what would be best for him.

Good point Jeannie. Well a bunch of good points.

I loved when you said: It means he's thinking strategically about the future.

Of course he is. And being pro-active about new music is a good thing. And just because I love TLM and want everyone to hear it and love it the way I do, doesn't mean that that's what is going to happen.

I also liked what you said about new fans will not only buy whatever new record he puts out there, but will buy his old stuff as well.

I just feel a bit baffled at what happened, or should I say didn't happen, with TLM.

Is selling 100,000 plus a good number of sales in todays music climate?

Another tweet from MVZ about the EDAW/RR video:

@CookieNookie That video is definitely making the rounds. I'm getting messages from Bruce fans all over the place.

Jeannie wrote:
John's REM:

The last half of this video made me cry. Seeing him jump into the crowd, reaching out and touching his fans, and apparently needing that connection with us as much as we need it with him, just ......made me cry.

Guest Guest

Just now coming in the thread and I'm speechless! I'm in tears after watching the videos and pics and reading all your recaps and seeing how pumped and happy David was Awww Love

I want to say THANK YOU to all who have shared everything with us! Saying the fans who cannot go to the shows for whichever reason live vicariously through y'all is an understatement. You really make me feel like I WAS there!

Huge Group Hug1

ETA : Forgot to mentioned how thrilled I was that the execs were there getting to experience David's greatness and his fans love for him. Having had Stevie there was also an amazing support for him coming from a rock legend!

Guest Guest
That would be great if he could do it, Mal. Not sure who is going to be touring soon and doesn't already have an opener, but it would be great exposure for him.

And truly, what has he said? He's going to work on a new album while he's off tour. And he's planning to be out on the road again in early February (presumably overseas.) Any work on a new album he can do while he's on this break, is work he doesn't have to do later. Which cuts down on time when he gets down to the "now we have to stop everything else and make the next album" phase. So it's good to hear that he's planning on working on it while he's "off" for the next couple of months.

I actually take the comments about working on a new album as a very positive sign in another way... he's saying them not just to fans in one-on-one conversations, but to interviewers. And I take that to mean the label has faith in him, knows what they have, and want to greenlight him for the next album, if they haven't already. I think if he was at all concerned about the label wanting him to make another album, he wouldn't be talking about it publicly.

Wasn't Kelly Clarkson's second album her "artistic" venture, and weren't its sales a lot lower than her debut?

I look at the situation as, David made the album he wanted: the artisy, mis-understood, gorgeous music that simply didn't appeal to the mass public. Big deal. We love it, he loves it, he's got it out of his system. Let's put out music that slightly less "artsy" that will grab ears and attentions all over the world. Something that will garner so much attention that the Grammy's will have no choice but to award him as Best New Artist. Smile I know that that probably isn't the first thing on Dave's mind, and I know it's petty, but damn it I want him to be recognized for the amazing musician/artist that he is. He deserves so much more than the bottom rack at WalMart. And if that means he has to go back to the studio for now, then so be it (as long as it isn't another 2 years).

@vsteph1 wrote:
Good point Jeannie. Well a bunch of good points.

I loved when you said: It means he's thinking strategically about the future.

Of course he is. And being pro-active about new music is a good thing. And just because I love TLM and want everyone to hear it and love it the way I do, doesn't mean that that's what is going to happen.

I also liked what you said about new fans will not only buy whatever new record he puts out there, but will buy his old stuff as well.

I just feel a bit baffled at what happened, or should I say didn't happen, with TLM.

Is selling 100,000 plus a good number of sales in todays music climate?

Yes. It is. Unless your Beyonce, Gaga, Adele, Katy Perry, or some other over-rated autotuned singer... you're doing great. It sucks that such is the case, but 100,000+ isn't bad.

Jeannie wrote:
] I actually take the comments about working on a new album as a very positive sign in another way... he's saying them not just to fans in one-on-one conversations, but to interviewers. And I take that to mean the label has faith in him, knows what they have, and want to greenlight him for the next album, if they haven't already. I think if he was at all concerned about the label wanting him to make another album, he wouldn't be talking about it publicly.

I thought the same exact thing. It means that there WILL be another album. In this business, it's hard to stay signed anymore unless you're Gaga or whatever. It means that his label is willing to support him for another record. And a show like that of Irving Plaza, where label executives were present, is excellent because it shows the label that he will most definitely always have a loyal fanbase that loves him and will buy anything he puts his name on.

Damn, I'm all emo again. WTF?

You guys are all amazing. A little perspective is a good thing.

And ((Made))

Ok, this is my last set of pictures to drop off. If you're friends with me on Facebook, you'll see more in that album.

NYC Irving Plaza 398 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 385 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 383 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

NYC Irving Plaza 386 by jalyn0484, on Flickr

Jeannie wrote:
] I actually take the comments about working on a new album as a very positive sign in another way... he's saying them not just to fans in one-on-one conversations, but to interviewers. And I take that to mean the label has faith in him, knows what they have, and want to greenlight him for the next album, if they haven't already. I think if he was at all concerned about the label wanting him to make another album, he wouldn't be talking about it publicly.

I thought the same exact thing. It means that there WILL be another album. In this business, it's hard to stay signed anymore unless you're Gaga or whatever. It means that his label is willing to support him for another record. And a show like that of Irving Plaza, where label executives were present, is excellent because it shows the label that he will most definitely always have a loyal fanbase that loves him and will buy anything he puts his name on.

Exactly!

And dammit if I'd realized there were label reps in the audience Friday, I'd have been even louder! Except, I don't think that's possible! lol.

Jamie, you pics are just gorgeous. Love that first one in the last post. He looks so 'rock starish' in that one. Smile

Quote :
Damn, Jamie, how many gorgeous photos did you TAKE?! Love them all.

Out of 450 pictures of David...about 75. Lol. Thanks Stace Smile

Quote :
Jamie, you pics are just gorgeous. Love that first one in the last post. He looks so 'rock starish' in that one.

That picture is from REM, not long before he jumped off the stage. It's not the sharpest quality, but damn...how could I not post it? I loved it on my camera because of the pose. Thanks Viv Smile

@Analytics wrote:
Stacy, your recap is one of the best I've read. You've expressed very sincerely and intensely the range of emotions you experienced while in that concert. So happy you finally got a whopper of a guitar-less-David night! Uber hug

I feel no jealousy whatsoever. Instead, I am absolutely relieved and joyous that David's tour is ending on a very upbeat note, with the venue sold out and some of David's dearest friends in attendance - just the right formula to exhilarate David as he prepares to embark on his next challenge - "conquer" Japan and Europe.

Am now looking forward to David "conquering" Japan and Europe early next year on his next tour leg. DC CheerleaderDC CheerleaderDC Cheerleader

Ana, and everyone, thanks - it means a lot to me to hear that I managed, despite my propensity for wordiness, to elucidate my feelings, to share what I experienced - and hope everyone gets to experience some day if they haven't yet.

I do wonder sometimes what it must feel like for David. I have to think a night like this one provides him a natural high better than any drug could ever aspire to. And you know, I've been to a concert "alone" and gotten a lot out of it, but I find they affect me on more levels when I get to share them with fellow Word Nerds, friends new and old. It makes the experience more... full. And I never thought of it before but I bet you're right, Ana, that having people who are very special to him there, sharing it with them, makes a show like that even more special, more full, to David, just like it does me. (Luckily for him, he ALWAYS has Andy, Monty, Kyle & Devin to share it with.) During the transition from R&R to WLL, my favorite part of the video is where David turns to Steven and gives him this beautiful appreciative smile, then glances up at the VIP balcony and his smile becomes even bigger - it takes over his whole face. Awww Love

And I sure hope Europe and Japan are prepared to be totally COOKIFIED! Mega Rock

It's been roughly 40 hours since the end of the show and my throat is still sore! I've also developed this nasty cough and my voice isn't entirely back to normal. I must have positively WRECKED my vocal cords on Friday night!

Re: his personal feelings about how TLM has done, I recall a moment from his show on the day DCTR was released. At the moment it was #2 on iTunes and he asked us what we thought it should be. After we all screamed "#1!!!!!" he grinned and said, "That's all that matters to me." He knows exactly how his fans feel about him and his music and I truly believe that that matters to him more than any of TPTB's opinions. I told him myself that TLM made my year far less shittier than it could have been and I meant it. I think things like that mean a lot to him and each time he steps onstage to do a show, the reaction he gets makes all the hard work worth it in the end for him.

I wish you all could have been at this show. I'm so glad so many of you got to hear it through a ustream. It makes it easier to recap and explain our feelings about the show for those of us who got to go. This one show in particular was about so much more than the setlist.

And Mal, I didn't realize that was you helping hand out passes! When Andrew called my name, instead of attempting my last name, I saw him showing you the list and asking for your help, LOL. That's when I was like, "Oh come on, just give it a shot!" And he actually got it! Nobody gets it right!

@vsteph1 wrote:
brokensmile wrote:
I

I was so happy for Dave for having such an amazing crowd who just loved him, having great band mates who gel so well and how evident it was that Dave was doing what he was born to do and the show was just all around epic. But then I was sad that it was the last show for the year at least. Then I was excited for the thought of a possible new record and that a release in Japan and possible Europe tewer are in the works (I have fingers crossed that Australia will soon know what an amazing talent Dave and the boys are). But then I was also disappointed that he thinks he needs to record a new record already when TLM has not received the recognition that it deserves. After realising he was IN the audience at the end of REM...I was glad my daughter wasn't in the room while I tried to stop myself from crying (she already thinks I am a crazy Cook fan). The FIM video did me in last night and I was a babbling mess when I posted last night. I now see that I wasn't the only one and that you all understand.

This bothers me on so many levels. Every time I hear him say I gotta get back into the studio and make a new record I just want to scream: No you don't! I still wanna hear the one you just released. It still needs to be heard and recognized. It is fucking awesome!

It makes me sad to think that he thinks anything less. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he knows that TLM is fucking amazing. Maybe he understands that someone dropped the ball with promo. Maybe not.

Don't get me wrong. New music from this man is ALWAYS desired. But I just some how feel sad about him possibly not realizing how amazing TLM is because of what TPTB might be saying to him.

Also, I cannot wait for the International community to see him live. I cannot wait to read all of your recaps. I so hope it happens soon!

V I AGREE 100% WITH THAT U JUST SAID, I ACTUALLY SCREAMED AT MY COMPUTER, "NO YOU DON'T, THAT IS SUCH BULLSHIT, TLM IS FUCKING AMAZING!" HAVING MADE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL HEARTFELT EMOTION FILLED CD AND HAVING IT NOT DO SO WELL HAS GOTTA BE HARD ON HIM. HE BARED HIS HEART & SOUL TO US AND .... Crying non-stop UGH THIS IS BREAKING MY HEART! I HOPE HE DOESN'T GO BACK INTO THE STUDIO TO WRITE WITH A FEAR OF SHOWING US HIS EMOTION AND PUT ON MUSIC THAT HE DOESN'T FEEL JUST SO HE CAN SELL CD'S...I AM HOPING THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM JADED.

It's been roughly 40 hours since the end of the show and my throat is still sore! I've also developed this nasty cough and my voice isn't entirely back to normal. I must have positively WRECKED my vocal cords on Friday night!

Re: his personal feelings about how TLM has done, I recall a moment from his show on the day DCTR was released. At the moment it was #2 on iTunes and he asked us what we thought it should be. After we all screamed "#1!!!!!" he grinned and said, "That's all that matters to me." He knows exactly how his fans feel about him and his music and I truly believe that that matters to him more than any of TPTB's opinions. I told him myself that TLM made my year far less shittier than it could have been and I meant it. I think things like that mean a lot to him and each time he steps onstage to do a show, the reaction he gets makes all the hard work worth it in the end for him.

I wish you all could have been at this show. I'm so glad so many of you got to hear it through a ustream. It makes it easier to recap and explain our feelings about the show for those of us who got to go. This one show in particular was about so much more than the setlist.

And Mal, I didn't realize that was you helping hand out passes! When Andrew called my name, instead of attempting my last name, I saw him showing you the list and asking for your help, LOL. That's when I was like, "Oh come on, just give it a shot!" And he actually got it! Nobody gets it right!

Yeah, I had to help him with a few names. I've got one of those last names that no one can ever seem to get right, so I was pleased when he said it right. I understand the pain haha

Guest Guest

LOL, I've got one of those last names too. And to top it off, my real first name is very unusual. During the Declaration Tour, I had the opportunity to get both Ryan Star and David to autograph things for me, and they both made it personalized. When I told Ryan what my first name was, his comment was, "You've got to spell that for me. I don't want to fuck it up." David was a little more PC. He just said, "You're going to have to spell that for me, darlin'" LOL Face

Penny, please read back through the thread. It truly isn't a bad thing, as many of us have said. Especially read what Lori said right above your post. He knows what TLM means to his fans, and what it means to him. Making another record doesn't mean he is forgetting that, just that he's working to move his career forward.

Guest Guest
YoSwanny has put up an mp3 she recorded of the entire show. You can download it HERE.

Guest Guest
If I had any clue how to do that, I would. Hopefully someone less technologically challenged can help.

Stacy I would like to do that for you but i have to figure out how to do it lol. Hopefully someone will come around that knows how to do that Smile

I just tweeted YoSwanny asking for her help. If she or anyone does upload it to a Mac-friendly site, I'll post it here for all the other Mac users.

At least this kind of problem has become rare these days. Used to happen all the time. In fact, it used to be it was a pleasant surprise when 9anything I found online, or any game for sale was made in a Mac version. Now it only happens occasionally. Smile

Jeannie wrote:
LOL, I've got one of those last names too. And to top it off, my real first name is very unusual. During the Declaration Tour, I had the opportunity to get both Ryan Star and David to autograph things for me, and they both made it personalized. When I told Ryan what my first name was, his comment was, "You've got to spell that for me. I don't want to fuck it up." David was a little more PC. He just said, "You're going to have to spell that for me, darlin'" LOL Face

Penny, please read back through the thread. It truly isn't a bad thing, as many of us have said. Especially read what Lori said right above your post. He knows what TLM means to his fans, and what it means to him. Making another record doesn't mean he is forgetting that, just that he's working to move his career forward.

Andrew got my name right on the first try... I was so happy that he didn't butcher it because most people do even though my last name is one of those names that is really kind of impossible to really confuse people.

Hell, I support David and his career so much that I'll buy and adore any kind of music he puts out. Knowing David, even if he's making more records like DCTR, his stamp of approval says something because he's pretty harsh on himself. If he's willing to put it out and believe in it, I won't hesitate to buy it.

If anyone can transfer that mp3 to a download format us Mac people can use, it would be MUCH appreciated. Smile

what does the file need to be in order for you to download it on your Mac? I can maybe try and figure it out Smile

An mp3 works fine. It's just that when I click on download on that particular site, it gives me a "Windows only" message and tries to download a .exe file. (Macs cannot read .exe files.) So if you upload it to megaupload or 4shared or something like that it should work fine.

Wow. Awww Love For this whole thread! Concert...pictures...videos...reviews! Just Wow.

An mp3 works fine. It's just that when I click on download on that particular site, it gives me a "Windows only" message and tries to download a .exe file. (Macs cannot read .exe files.) So if you upload it to megaupload or 4shared or something like that it should work fine.

I can upload it somewhere like that or sendspace would work too

Ok, so I finally put something into words....this is long, and it starts from Wednesday, so I'm putting it into three posts. Bear with me.

First of all, let me start off by saying that this trip would not have been possible if it weren’t for the generosity and assistance of Stacy. Her patience with me was paramount and I can never, ever thank her enough for putting up with all my travel failures, indecisions, and uncertainties. From waiting on me to land in Newark to physically putting me on the right bus to LaGuardia, she was an incredible hostess from the minute I arrived.
I know many of you follow me on Twitter and saw my tweets on Wednesday about my plane delays, so I’ll just summarize it quickly. Basically, the pilot for my 7am flight from my hometown needed to “sleep in” and as a result delayed our arrival in Dallas by 1.5 hours. Ergo, I missed my flight to Newark that would have gotten me there at 2:00EST and allowed Stacy & I to go to our Allentown VIP session. The airline bumped me to the next flight that wasn’t supposed to leave until 11:35, but it too was delayed because of the rainy weather in Newark. Then, once we finally got in the air, the pilot came over the loud speaker to tell us that we had to circle around Trenton for 30 minutes. I FINALLY landed in Newark at 4:50pm EST. It was dark, pouring down rain, and full of rush-hour traffic. Needless to say, at this point Stacy and I were just hoping we would make it to Allentown in time for the show itself; we had already missed our VIP. Other than the rain, the traffic, and the candy-cane mini-cupcakes (Very Happy), the drive was long yet uneventful, and we did indeed make it to Allentown at 7pm, just in time to stand in line in the pouring rain. The show was, as always, a good David Cook show. The banter about the children’s hospital was probably the highlight for me, as was the look on Stacy’s face when they did The Hand That Feeds like we joked about in the car. Very Happy Oh, and I got one of those fancy black DC&TA picks of Dave’s. We opted not to do the post-show meet n greet because we needed to hurry back to her parents’ place so her mom could take us back into the city at a decent hour. Uh huh… we were about 20 miles from her parents’ house when the traffic came to an absolute. stand. still. Not inching along, not creeping….a full blown STOP. We were stuck in the same spot on I-78 from nearly TWO HOURS because of a wreck. I’m sure some of ya’ll saw our tweets. Funny thing, we had just left the truck stop that the boys stopped at for the dagger & 5lb Hershey bar. (I know it was the same one because there was only one truck stop between Allentown & Newark on I-78. Razz) Anyways, we didn’t get to her parents’ until after 2am. We could have done the post show after all!

Anyway, I called Ground Control about my travel fiasco and the missed VIP, and they agreed to put us on the list for Irving Plaza after they confirmed with Andrew that I was indeed not there. I even talked to Andrew after the Allentown show and he confirmed that he received the emails, all was well, and he’d see us Friday. However…once Stacy & I got to Irving (we were the last ones there, of course; I wouldn’t have expected any different the way the trip had been going so far LOL flag), Andrew called out the names and lo & behold, I wasn’t there. FML. I had to demand Andrew to check his email right there so he would remember what had been arranged! Shocked I don’t know what was going on, but some higher entity did NOT want Stacy & I to talk to David Cook on this trip. FINALLY we got our laminates and proceeded to wait in line with the other 95 people.

We had a fantastic time with two ladies who were at the back of the line with us, and it was great to meet Andrew finally. It was a blast laughing & joking with him, watching him kick trash cans and talk shit about Dave. Very Happy He did a good job keeping things going and keeping us apprised of the situation. When it was finally our turn with David & Co., they were rushing to get done so they could start soundcheck. We were the absolute last two people. Stacy gave him something funny/naughty to read, and I specifically recall him blushing a little. Wink I had to deliver a gift to the guys from a little girl from Dallas, and then I had them sign the photobook that I made of the Texas shows. About that time, Jody is telling the photographer to take our picture, the guys needed to go. I somewhat panicked because I hadn’t been able to cover what I needed to discuss with David yet. I exclaimed, “Wait! But I have a question!” Thankfully, I was able to talk to him about something personal, he fulfilled a request that I had for him, and I thanked him for everything- and that if it weren’t for him, the tour, the music, I don’t think I could have been accepted to vet school because it all provided such an escape. I honestly believe I would have gone insane with the monotony if it weren’t for him and his music. I told him that I didn’t know when I would see him again because I’m going off to the Caribbean for vet school, and that I was going to miss him. He said something to the effect of, that’s awesome, congratulations; we’ll just have to come play a show in the Caribbean. I somehow got all the words out- although they were very rushed- then he smiled and we took our two pictures. I thanked him again for the personal matter, he reached out and gave me a hug (Excited), we said “have a great show, see you tonight!” and then they were off to soundcheck. I was shaking like a leaf. For the first time in a looooong time, I was shaking violently as we walked away. So much so that the ladies ahead of us could tell I was shaking when the photographer took our picture, and I know that Dave had to have felt it because I leaned back against him for one of the pictures. I can only assume that it was because that was the longest, most coherent encounter I’ve ever had with him. I spoke, he listened and responded. I looked into those eyes….holy hell. I know we all talk about the eyes: how you lose all sense of time and self, how you can’t seem to focus on anything else around you, how the rest of the world fades away…. I guess I never really understood what that meant. I’ve looked at his eyes up close before, but I’d never looked into his eyes and tried to SPEAK at the same time. I’ve always been looking away, or he’s been distracted…this was the first time. Holy shit. It’s like all the air in your lungs is gone all at once. Like getting pummeled in the chest by a baseball bat- or in my experience, getting trampled a 2000lb cow (yes, I know what that feels like, and that’s the closest, most accurate analogy I can make). It’s an honest-to-God miracle that I didn’t collapse at his feet, and I’ve NEVER felt like that in front of him before. It took an infinite amount of self-control to actually speak the words I wanted to say and make my request.

On to the show…Stacy and I ended up on the barricade in front of Andy, almost at the very end. We could have been slightly closer to the center if my camera bag hadn’t gotten hung on the stair railing going to the doors and physically yanked me back- I couldn’t figure out what the hell was happening! Plus two of my fingernails got ripped out in the process Very Sad Anyway. We knew we were in for a hell of a show because I managed to get a picture of the setlist when the crew put it out; we were already flailing before he ever set foot on the stage.

I’m just going to cover a few highlights here… first off, of all the shows I’ve been to over the last 3 years, I have NEVER been a part of a crowd like this one before. Wow. From the minute he hit the stage, the roar was deafening, and the love was palpable. You could feel how desperate the crowd was for David, and how much emotion was being poured into that room. We sang every word to every song, we danced, we screamed. I don’t think we were individual fans anymore...we became one cohesive unit, an army. I don’t think I turned around to look at Stacy until Barbasol just to see how ecstatic she was for the guitarless songs she was finally witnessing. (Wink ) He was simply mesmerizing, commanding the stage, holding us all in the palms of his hands. There was a different David Cook on that stage than the one we saw in Allentown two nights before, a different one than I saw in Texas. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him.

Song-wise, I finally got to see Goodbye to the Girl by the full band, and I got Life on the Moon which is one of my favorites from DCTR. And I’m sure this was entirely coincidence- I’m not going to assume that a tweet from me made any difference in the setlist- but I tweeted David just before the opening act started and requested that they play Goodbye to the Girl, Dogman, Rock&Roll, Right Here With You, and Declaration. Obviously, Dogman was already on the list because Jerry Gaskill was present. They had soundchecked Rock & Roll, so that was a given. But when Dave made the comment after Dogman that the show was about slow down a lot because HE made the set list that night, and then he launched into Goodbye to the Girl? I about died. Did he read the tweet & comply with my request? I have no idea. I’m not going to make that assumption. I’m just glad that I got to see it.

Speaking of Dogman, I was dying to see that ever since they soundchecked it in Austin and Dave swore us all to secrecy. I’ve had the janky iPhone video I took of the pre-VIP soundcheck of that on repeat since October 30. And my God, it was amazing, incredible, and sexy as hell. That growl just makes your spine shiver. I want a song like THAT on the next album. For Barbasol, I did turn around to see Stacy’s reaction to the lack of guitar, and then proceeded to dance like a maniac. After Light On, the guys walked off the stage for the encore….and then Dave materializes from the wings with the top hat, and everyone screamed for their lives, as if our lives were indeed in danger of being taken from us. In fact, I think they might have been at that point, and he was barely getting started with the surprises. It was beyond remarkable to see David on stage with Ryan & Stevie for 8 Days a Week- you could see with your own eyes just how much fun they were all having together. Then. Oh my Jesus THEN. They launch into Rock & Roll. I know I was one of the first to witness it in Grand Prairie, but again, this was a different Dave. THIS was a Dave that had command of all 1200 people in one room, who are all staring in complete disbelief at the sheer magnitude of what was happening on the stage. He was feeding off the crowd; he was more energized with every roar that was elicited, more free in his movements with every song they played. And Jesus, that man has a rock wail that makes all the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. You know that last note of Rock & Roll, where he usually pauses and then scales it down, lets it resolve out? No, he fucking BELTED the shit out of that note. My breathing stopped when he hit it, and I know my jaw dropped open.

For Fade Into Me….how do I even describe…. I guess it was as I said earlier, we weren’t individual fans anymore. We were one unified unit of sheer love and admiration for the man on stage. When he stepped away from that microphone, still singing, and our voices took over….it was astonishing. It was a perfect fade out and fade in, as if we had been trained all along for that particular moment, as if we knew it was coming and what we were supposed to do. He didn’t even need to ask or prompt us…we just fell into place. I been rendered speechless before at shows, I’ve been amazed, I’ve been thrilled…..but I’ve never cried real, honest tears until Friday night. The enormity of the situation, the utter and absolute adoration of him by us, of us by him, and seeing his tears…it was overwhelming. And then, just when everyone is stunned by the significance of the night, he concludes with Rapid Eye Movement. We see him shoo away the guitar. He’s belting his heart out, laying everything out on that stage, right there….and he jumps down off the stage at the opposite end…..and walks to our end and stands on the step just in front of us. He leans over our side of the crowd, grabbing, reaching, holding….sucking every last ounce of energy and emotion from us. He was feeding off us, screaming those words, begging to know if our story is worth forgetting, worth repeating. At one point, he reached down with his right hand, and I grab it and hold on to it for dear life. I can’t remember which part of the song it was, but my hand was held firmly in his, and we grasped hands for an extended amount of time, clinging to the last few moments of such an extraordinary, staggering, mind-blowing night. After the song ended and the ending piano notes were pinging away, everyone on our side just kind of stared at each other in awe. We didn’t know what to say, or how to say it. There were a few “oh my gods”, some squeals, and a lot of wordless hugs. I think I grabbed Stacy’s hands and we just stood there looking at each other. What in the world did we just experience?

I’ve been to 26 shows now, with every one holding a special memory of some kind, each one significant in my heart. But from now on, every show will be compared to this one. Nothing will ever, nor could one ever, top the spectacle that I was a part of and witnessed at a place called Irving Plaza. A non-descript venue with a plain marquee on a smaller New York City street will always be forefront in my mind when asked about the best David Cook show I ever went to. The people I met were incredible, the experience I had was….epic. That word just doesn’t seem to appropriately express all the feelings and thoughts that were jumbled in my head and my heart this weekend, but until I think of a better one, it will have to suffice. Thank you, New York City, for an astounding, breathtaking, and overwhelming end to This Loud Tour. I will come back for another show some day.

Guest Guest
{{Jamie}} Thanks for sharing that with us!

Guest Guest

Jamie, that's a wonderful recap... you make me feel like I was there with you when I read it. Hug

I looked into those eyes….holy hell. I know we all talk about the eyes: how you lose all sense of time and self, how you can’t seem to focus on anything else around you, how the rest of the world fades away…. I guess I never really understood what that meant. I’ve looked at his eyes up close before, but I’d never looked into his eyes and tried to SPEAK at the same time. I’ve always been looking away, or he’s been distracted…this was the first time. Holy shit. It’s like all the air in your lungs is gone all at once. Like getting pummeled in the chest by a baseball bat.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

I could barely look at him right in the eyes the other night. When I was talking to him, I had to periodically look away because I was beginning to lose self-awareness. As it was, I forgot the name of the album in front of him thanks to those stupid eyes!!!

Me: "I had a really shitty year... but two things made it suck a lot less. First and most importantly, my nephew was born. The second thing was This Loud... ::looks up to the sky to think:: ...MORNING. AAGGGHHH I FORGOT THE NAME OF THE ALBUM." That's when I knew my mind was putty from then on and just put my arm around him to take our picture. Laughing

I wasn't nervous about seeing him at all. Maybe it's because I had met him twice already. I was anxious to get out what I wanted to say for sure, but I wasn't feeling nervous about being in his presence because hey, it's just Dave and the band. But those eyes... it's kind of not even fair.

Kevin Chiaramonte's Twitter @musicpub wrote:
Full house at Iriving Plaza for David Cook. Considering all that is happening in NY tonight, it is a good sign for him.

He's not kidding. I know one other show going on in NYC that night was Z100's Jingle Ball concert at Madison Square Garden, which is sold out every year and at ridiculous prices at that. Lady Gaga and Kelly Clarkson were just two of the acts playing at that concert. I forgot all about it until I got back to Penn Station and was like "...shit." With that pandemonium going on 20-ish blocks away, 97 VIPs and 1,200 concert attendees is a damn fine job for David, I'd say!

lol, Lori. His eyes give new meaning to the word mesmerizing.

I was lucky in a way Friday because I gave him something to look at which he was reading most of the time I was talking to him. Whenever I give him something, he will look at that instead of into my eyes most of the time and I'm off the hook lol.

But there was this one time I met him, in the spring/summer of 2009, and I had nothing else for him to look at so he looked me in the eye, for an extended period of time (like 3 whole minutes or something lol), and I swear I thought I'd never remember how to breathe again no less my name or where I was lol. First of all, when he grabs you with his eyes, it's, like, physically impossible to escape until he releases you. And for me, it gave me this really weird feeling of vertigo. Like I was falling over. Like he has laser beam eyes that lift you off the ground and you're just dangling in the air lol. But it's more like he's sucking your soul out through your eyes an you can do nothing to stop it. But that sounds really terrible lol. It's not. It's amazing!

And that particular encounter, surviving the eyes was hard enough, but he also complimented me. Which, I'm sure he does all the time - he's a nice guy, and the words themselves were mild, but he did it in a very... complimentary way [lol - clearly I am STILL at a loss for words over it, 2-1/2 years later]. Holy SHIT did that put butterflies in my stomach. I thought my heart would explode from beating so fast. Luckily I was saved when someone else approached him and he turned away from me to talk to him and the spell broke and my feet touched down again. Otherwise I swear I could have completely lost myself!

Stacy, you lived to tell that story?!?

You're spot on though with his eyes kind of holding you captive until he releases you. And now my mind is going THERE... Twisted Evil

The thing about a good recap is not that you just share the things that happened, but the feeling behind them. Because we all can relate. those feelings ring true because of our shared experience. When Jamie talked about how she felt when she looked deep in those eyes of his, I immediately remembered doing the same thing and how I felt. The awe you all felt after REM? We got it, to a lesser degree, but still we got it through the ustream. I remember switching from twitter back to the stream to see David in the crowd, leaning forward, grabbing hands and hands reaching for him. I cried. And when the show was done all I could say was "Wow". I think I just stared at my screen for 30 mins. I didn't remove the ear buds from my ears, even though the music was long done, I just stared.

Thanks so much for all of your recaps. They are all awesome. Smile

But there was this one time I met him, in the spring/summer of 2009, and I had nothing else for him to look at so he looked me in the eye, for an extended period of time (like 3 whole minutes or something lol), and I swear I thought I'd never remember how to breathe again no less my name or where I was lol. First of all, when he grabs you with his eyes, it's, like, physically impossible to escape until he releases you. And for me, it gave me this really weird feeling of vertigo. Like I was falling over. Like he has laser beam eyes that lift you off the ground and you're just dangling in the air lol. But it's more like he's sucking your soul out through your eyes an you can do nothing to stop it. But that sounds really terrible lol. It's not. It's amazing!

I completely agree with you! when I met him in Greensburg, and we were talking and I even forget what I was telling him and he seriously stared at me while I talked and his eyes just bared into my soul the whole time and I was just like...uh..... Thud thudding inside my head of course, not actually falling over LOL

I completely agree with you! when I met him in Greensburg, and we were talking and I even forget what I was telling him and he seriously stared at me while I talked and his eyes just bared into my soul the whole time and I was just like...uh..... Thud thudding inside my head of course, not actually falling over LOL

lol. I have no idea how we don't all actually fall over - like Kyle at the end of the TLG video. LOL flag I think his eyes grabbing us also hold us up on our feet. Or dangling over the floor lol.

Your not kidding those eyes are killer after i was done talking to Kyle ,David immediately looked me in the eyes and after the 1st hugged i swear he looked at me again and smiled Thud! He can tell i was nervous he had to nudged me to Andy and he stood there with me.

Stacy, what a perfect way to descriibe what it feels like when he looks you in the eye. The imagery you created is just perfect.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.