Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravelrash

helmet noise.

I have recently bought a Shoei Qwest touring helmet, i tried it on and it fit nice and snug, very comfortable. When i went for a ride the wind noise was painfull (40mph), i took my old helmet on the same stretch of road and it was much quieter, so i took it back to the supplier who sent it back to the distributor (for servicing scratch ) anyway its come back new cheekpads and the visor mechanism re-torqued. The supplier has said because there is no manufacturing fault if there is still a problem there is nothing he can do!
Because of the severe weather I have not been able to test it, I really like the helmet so hope it is sorted but if not does anyone no of my options? Earplugs are a possibility but i've never worn them so far Sad it was a bloody expensive helmet and was sold as 60% quieter which for me it isn't. Any advice appreciated people thumbs

There are so many factors that can affect wind noise in a lid, we all have different size/shape heads, different hair etc so basically I think a lot of it is luck if you end up with a quiet lid, but you should definitely wear earplugs mate, you might think it's okay without but you will be damaging your ears beyond repair if you repeatedly ride without them thumbs

I totally agree ear plugs are a must i have never worn them and my ears are damaged beyond repair but that was the loud music aswell. My caberg trip is loud but not as bad as my new helmet i cant wear that on the motorway or for long rides as it is very very noisy and draughty

Yea i agree with what everyone as allready said ears plugs are a MUST please take the advice an wear them, im only 34 and ive got damaged ears for life as a result of not wearing them, ever since i was able to walk ive ridden and only started wearing them after i realised i was slowly going def Sad as for the helmet ive always found a paticular brands and stuck to them the old FMs were great years ago, but these days after trying out loads of lids ive found that Arai and Nolan fit my head best so find a make that fits best and try and stick to it thumbs

i wear an agv stealth which was noisy at first but i just got used to it ear plugs are a must though. thumbs

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'm 42 been riding since i was 16 so maybe damage is already done but will take on board what you have said and try some out thumbs . stue11, same here mate I have always used Shoei, just seem to fit my head shape. Don't know why this one is any different, once this snow's gone i'll give it a try... with ear plugs! Rolling Eyes
Mike.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'm 42 been riding since i was 16 so maybe damage is already done but will take on board what you have said and try some out thumbs . stue11, same here mate I have always used Shoei, just seem to fit my head shape. Don't know why this one is any different, once this snow's gone i'll give it a try... with ear plugs! Rolling Eyes
Mike.
No worries Mike let us all know how you get on with it when weathers cleared up, got to be honest Mike, youve been riding a long time to know when an helmets not right so i would suspect youve got a faulty lid. thumbs

Ear plugs are def (excuse the pun) recommendation...but I do like to hear my baby.

Had a shoei trx... noisiest helmet i`ve ever had

Hi bonzo-b, my last helmet was a Shoei xr900 Dragon and was really quiet, the best helmet i've ever owned (and i've had a few) if this ones no better with plugs i'll just have to sell it and hope it fits someone else better Sad

Guest Guest
i just chuck in a pair of earbud eadphones and some good ol tunes. but looking into ear plugs aswell as i her there a good thing.

Yer my ears are still ringing after the many Motorhead gigs we attended!back then to party

Must admit i'm struggling with earplugs, get the same disconnected feeling as stan (maybe try a few different brands and see how it goes) i'm gonna try putting a piece of polystyrene wraped in felt in the massive void where your ears sit and see if that helps, like alreadys been said maybe my head shape is just wrong for this helmet! Rolling Eyes

Earplugs all the way for me. We didn't notice helmet noise in the "good old days" I think mainly because we didn't have fairings. Biggest source of helmet noise is wind passing over the screen. I never have a problem on my Bandit, but 100mph on the ZZR is overwhelming without plugs. Smile

helmets didnt have air vents in them in the old days, all that air blasting through the vents causes much off the noise

carnt stand plugs , they make the bike quieter, lololololololol

I always use them, im always going to stick to AGV i really like there helmets. thumbs

Shoei are my helmet of choice, have xr1100 /xr1000 and whilst not being the quietest lids, In my opinion they are the best. Never tried your model but find setting the vents in various positions makes a big difference , i now its pretty obvious but try it. or as stated wear ear plugs they are a good idea anyhow. may take some getting used to but stick with them.

Interesting topic, I never wear ear plugs I like to hear what is going on, re helmet noise I have had trouble with it in the past, some bikes you need to change or cut down the screen, the best screen I have found is one with a flip top, and some bikes you can not get over it at all, I like someone else used to wear Shoie helmets but it was so noisy on the bike I have now I bought a flip face Caberg and that is a lot better, I did once get over the noise factor on one of my helmets by fitting a skirt on the bottom which you can buy and that worked well but made it is a bit more dificult getting it on and off, but I think you only need the skirt at the front and mine was all round so perhaps if you cut away the back it would work just the same and make it easy to get on and off
just a thought?
Keith

Was always a fan of shoei until I got my AGV Ti-Tec - best fitting & quietest helmet i've ever had & I don't use ear plugs (wouldn't be able to here the sirens behind me!! lol ) Very Happy