Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Dropped my new helmet today

Guest Guest

Like the title says, I was picking it up off of the kerb and as I stood up it fell out of my hand Sad I've cracked the gloss coat on it, it only fell a foot. I hadn't even worn it yet, it was the first time today.

I'm going to have to buy a sticker now or get the gloss done again (cause I'm funny like that) oh well its an excuse to get it painted how I wanted it.

I'm never getting a white one again, shows the marks too much.

So so pissed off with myself Sad

Guest Guest

I only dropped it from a foot, and there is no give under the crack IFYKWIM? its probably no more than a stone chip would do Sad

you could fill the chip with paint and polish it up again rose

Some years ago after a crash I filled my old pisspot lid with Isopon & sprayed it black. Happily I never had to impact test it again Shocked Try not to let it get to you too much Rose, worse things happen at sea. Smile

Know how You feel Rose I damaged My helmet a while ago. oh My god what have I just typed......I didnt mean .Oh shit Im just going to stop typing...Ill see you later. Im going to bed hide

Guest Guest
@wellsey wrote:
Know how You feel Rose I damaged My helmet a while ago. oh My god what have I just typed......I didnt mean .Oh shit Im just going to stop typing...Ill see you later. Im going to bed hide

Silly Bugger! Laughing

Guest Guest
I won't be getting rid of it..

Gordon said he'd still wear it which is good enough for me, honestly if I had a photobucket account I'd post a picture..

Rose wrote:
I won't be getting rid of it..

Gordon said he'd still wear it which is good enough for me, honestly if I had a photobucket account I'd post a picture..

fair play rose if you think your helmet is worth more than you head Shocked

If a helmets no good after dropping it a foot then what use is it if you come off,its a crash helmet its supossed to withstand knocks , if i had just paid over £200 for a lid and dropped it unless its badly damaged i wouldnt bin it.

Guest Guest
@Les wrote:
If a helmets no good after dropping it a foot then what use is it if you come off,its a crash helmet its supossed to withstand knocks , if i had just paid over £200 for a lid and dropped it unless its badly damaged i wouldnt bin it.

Hubby said the same thing as well, if a £450 helmet is buggered after a one foot drop, its not going to be much cop in the event of a crash.

How many times have folks dropped theirs off the bars?

I will however check the house insurance today.

I can't believe you're being advised to chuck it just cos it's rolled off your bike. I'd wear it without hesitation. Smile

Guest Guest

I can Claim on the house insurance under personal belongings.

Not sure what to do..

I've contacted Oxford and as I'm near I can take it over for their returns deptment to have a look at, then if hes not sure they will send it back to Schuberth. thumbs

Edited to Add, Its going to be sent back to Schuberth for testing .

Thank Goodness I still have another two knocking around. thumbs

Rose wrote:

Not sure what to do..

I've contacted Oxford and as I'm near I can take it over for their returns deptment to have a look at, then if hes not sure they will send it back to Schuberth. thumbs

Claim on house insurance if you can hope your excess is only £25 thumbs

Guest Guest
@Grumpyowl wrote:
Rose wrote:

Not sure what to do..

£100 Excess on the insurance and I'm taking it over tomorrow to Oxford prods, going to cost £25 to send it back but worth it. It will either be a week or 6 weeks. I'd like to think with German efficiency it will be a week.

Claim on house insurance if you can hope your excess is only £25 thumbs

I can't believe you're being advised to chuck it just cos it's rolled off your bike. I'd wear it without hesitation. Smile

Maybe an old wives tale but i have been lead to believe that if a helmet is dropped, then it's fooked.
Any helmet sales peeps out there to clarify this.
Also my mate just said that if its fibreglass its ok but if its carbon compisite its fooked?

I crashed in 2003 wearing an AGV Ghost which I had dropped on more than one occasion. Scraped the shit out of one side and the visor popped off as I went down the road head first. I'm still here and from time to time I even make sense. Smile
And the last person I'd ask for advice on a helmet is a sales person.......

Guest Guest
Dropped it off at Oxford today to send back for testing, so keep your fingers crossed folks that I get a good result.

They didn't charge me the £25 quid either..

Thing is helmets are designed to only absorb one impact and it spreads the impact through the shell to stop ur head absorbing it, so if u use it again theres a chance it wont do its job properly, i wouldnt want 2 risk my head, but then again it all depends how hard it hit the floor. getting it tested is a great idea, peace of mind and all that Smile

When i bought my new helmet there was some "safety" guidlines with it, in there i remember seeing it said that if you dropp it from over waist height then its best to replace it no matter what condition its in, if you drop it from below waist height then it MAY be ok to continue using it aslong as there are no odviouse cracks, scratches are common with stones coming off car tires

you could fill the chip with paint and polish it up again rose

What's this about polishing helmets???

Trust me to lower the tone... Laughing

depends what your waist height is though Very Happy

That would be about a foot for Rose

Guest Guest
@Davehutch wrote:
ITCHY wrote:
depends what your waist height is though Very Happy

That would be about a foot for Rose
lol!lol!

Oi, you lot I'm not that short!! Sad

Any news yet from them testing it ?

are you that small ?
did they ask how tall you are hide

Guest Guest
@Grumpyowl wrote:
Any news yet from them testing it ?

are you that small ?
did they ask how tall you are hide

What I lack in height I make up for in width (if only the same where true of men!)

No not heard back yet, phoned last week and they said early days.

Guest Guest
Up date:

Its being looked at this week and I should have the results by Friday, keep your fingers crossed its good news...

Rose wrote:
Up date:

Its being looked at this week and I should have the results by Friday, keep your fingers crossed its good news...
Will do Rose thumbs

Guest Guest
partypartypartyparty

Just had a phone call from Oxford Products, Suhberth have been in touch. They have stripped the helmet and tested it and its fine. Its just paint damage.

I'm so pleased I didn't chuck it and took the time to get them to look at it. It will be back next week.

Really made up thumbs

Rose wrote:
partypartypartyparty

Just had a phone call from Oxford Products, Suhberth have been in touch. They have stripped the helmet and tested it and its fine. Its just paint damage.

I'm so pleased I didn't chuck it and took the time to get them to look at it. It will be back next week.

Really made up thumbs
nice 1 Rose thumbs

Rose wrote:
partypartypartyparty

Really made up thumbs

See told you , you will just have to try and hide the damage.