Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alfamontrealbrera

Hello everyone -

I've never been near a forum before so please bear with me as I stumble about.
This seems like a friendly place and Dave is a recent friend on facebook.(Peter Rushton).
I was just wondering if anyone has views on Honda's VFR1200. I'm not trying to stir anything up but would simply like to know more about it now that the dust has settled a bit.
It was the most over-hyped launch I can ever remember, built up to impossible heights by the media who seemed somewhat critical afterwards.
I haven't actually seen one out and about yet, but there must be riders out there enjoying them at the moment, though possibly not on this forum.
Any comments would be very appreciated.
Cheers - Pete. Very Happy

welcome to the forum Pete, I had never been near a forum till about 4years ago Shocked You will soon get the hang of it m8 thumbs as for your question cant help sorry Embarassed sure someone will pop along with some answers for you Wink

Hi Pete welcome to the forum

I've seen a couple of VFR1200's out and about, does look a little odd I think and seriously overpriced I reckon, why not see if you can get a test ride ?

welcome Pete. I've been lurking on a VFR forum for a while as I'm on the lookout for another 800. It seems to me the 1200 is a better bike than first impressions may indicate, but not without issues. I've seen people complain of premature corrosion, fuelling problems and other niggles, but of course these may well be isolated instances. I still think the gear driven VFR800 is the one to go for unless you want some real brute power, but FYI I've appended some comments from an owner on the VFR forum. Smile

Good:
1. Awesome power, and 'urge' from any speed.
2. It's bigger all round, which suits me better (6'2", 15st).
3. Feels very 'planted' and stable on the road; 'massier' (which it is).
4. The styling / design, which I like a lot (even the exhaust!).
5. It has a gear indicator (I often forget if in top yet).
6. It shows me coolant and air temperature at the same time, without pressing a button to switch between.
7. The little LED lights in the indicator stalks!
8. It's got shaft drive.
9. It's a doddle to get on and off the mainstand.

Not So Good:
1. The indicator switch is in a stupid position; I have to almost remove my hand from the handlebar to switch on the right indicator, and have trouble finding it without looking (hopefully, I'll get used to this).
2. If, when the bike's on the mainstand, I rotate the rear wheel back and forth a bit, there's rattling from the transmission, possibly from behind the concertina hose at the front end of the shaft. I suspect this might be 'normal', but I don't remember my ST1100 doing this (back before '03).
3. It takes some care to control the throttle to maintain speed at 30mph, and I find it has to be in 3rd gear at this speed.
4. The screen has some areas behind it that can't be reached, for cleaning, so they stay smeary.
5. So far, it seems to run a bit 'rough', like something needs 'balancing', with more vibration than I was used to with my VTEC. Hopefully, this will smooth out as the engine gets run in (it's done about 350 miles now).
6. Brakes seem a bit 'on/off' (and possibly a bit juddery under heavy braking).
7. Panniers seem smaller than those of my VTEC (and ST1100), however it might just be that they're a different shape; deeper, but less wide (I can't remember the capacities of the VTEC and ST ones, in litres, though).
8. Definitely feels less 'nimble' than my VTEC (surprise, surprise; heavier, duh), and seems to take much more 'pulling up'. Hopefully, as I get to know this bike better, and as it gets run in, it will feel more nimble and 'chuckable'.
9. The seat is rather firm, and shiny & slippy.
10. Possibly feels like it needs another gear (7th).

Then a few days later.......

[b]Well, after going for a 90 mile ride, on a favourite fast & twisty route (something like a roller-coaster, ideal for getting the hang of a new bike), I can report that several of my concerns ('Not So Good', above) were unfounded.

The bike already seems smoother (perhaps helped by the 97 RON fuel I put in it, after previously putting in 95?), and I seem to have adjusted to the brakes & clutch (not so 'on/off'-seeming). And I'm even getting used to the position of the indicator switch.

This bike is phenomenal. It's the bike I really wanted (bigger, shaft drive) when I got the VTEC (though I must say I still think that's a fantastic bike too, and I'm still missing mine).
[b]

Hello and welcome onboard thumbs mee too hadnt been on any forums untill this one welcome again and enjoy yourself on here thumbs

hello matey welcome to the forum ive been here a few days and these guys/girls seem ok party

@dirtydog wrote:
hello matey welcome to the forum ive been here a few days and these guys/girls seem ok party

Haha! Fooled another one! Very Happy

@dirtydog wrote:

Haha! Fooled another one! Very Happy

Yep, like little lambs to the slaughter.... Twisted Evil

Guest Guest
welcome

Thanks for all the info I'm sure they get better as the miles go on.
Is the tank a bit small for a sports/tourer ?
I wonder if we could see this motor (vfr1200) in a "naked" in the future? It's clever how Honda reverted back to sohc on this engine, and managed to describe it as a step forward !
Might sound like I'm having a go, but I'm not - had Hondas for forty years off and on, and respect them. Smile

You're probably right alf. Most bikes have small tanks if you're going to get serious on them. As for a naked 1200, be careful what you wish for. Who remembers the X-11? affraid
They've tried it with the 800 of course with the Crossrunner, but jeez, what's the point of that? Gimme a decent sized fairing & tank any day over these ugly ducklings. Smile

@bonzo-b wrote:
welcome
welcome mate no i hadnt been on a forum before either im not even on facebook and dont really want to be either after wot ive seen and heared of it but yeah everyone seems cool on here party