Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

running in advice

So when i pick the new bike up Saturday I have a 70 mile trip home , I know they will tell me, but what running in advise can you give me study I have never had a new bike before No And dont think I will again so want to get it right thumbs

if i recall it keep it under 5,000 rpm for the first 500 miles but that will still be fast on that bike Dave , just dont let it bog down in the gears , and dont stay at one rpm all the time . bike engine are so well made now that , some say you can give it the beans out of the box , thumbsthumbs

The Engine may be a little tight so don't over load it take yer time going though the gears.avoid hard acceleration.and don't be supprised if the it burns a drop of oil it could well do untill the rings bed in.

Remember its all new so the brakes may need some time to settle in and of course the tyres to.

I dare say others will be along soon.

or thrash the life out of it that al loosen it up!

I can follow you back in my van in case it blows up Wink

I had to run in my GSXr6

800 of the longest miles I've ever spent on a bike!!

As previously mentioned low revs, gentle gear change and don't hold any rev range for any length of time.

Then the 1st service followed by a full bore race home at 160mph Wink

Pretty much what has already been said, the dealer said to me when I got the Z all of the above but you'll do more damage to it by letting it labour too long in any one gear just keep taking up and down the box.

back wheel every chance,burnout leaveing dealers,stoppie at the first set of lights

then it should be ok LaughingLaughingthumbs

Im sure the dealers will tell you all you need to know thumbs

as long as the scenery's not a blur you should be alright Smile

Don't be too anal about running it in, modern machining methods and tolerances are a lot better than they used to be. Thats what I kept telling myself when I was ragging my brand new b6. It doesn't hurt occasionally to give it some thumbs

Nice & easy up to your first service Dave, no hard acceleration as Gaz said, up to 40% of max revs. Then from say 500 miles to 1500 build up the use of revs and accel gradually, occasional bursts if possible when riding downhill and the bike is not under load. DON'T be too gentle or you'll finish up with a slug. Modern bikes are so well built they pretty much will stand thrash from day 1, so a bit of care and you're sound as a pound for 100k miles minimum. thumbs

Ok Dave I'm going to throw a spanner into the works. Look & digest the following website makes for an interesting argument.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This dude is making alot of sense & if I were you would adopt the above method. Remember if anything breaks you have a full replacement warrantee to fall back on.

I just wish i had a new machine to try it out on Very HappyVery Happy

@darkember wrote:

I just wish i had a new machine to try it out on Very HappyVery Happy

If you had I suspect you might think a little harder about it when push came to shove, although much of what he's saying I can't disagree with. Smile

tbf, i've always ran a bike in doing short trips and not holding revs at any range... letting the engine rev to say 5/6k and letting the engine brake on its own, resting, fast accelerate, let rev drops without touching the clutch etc.... its helps the rings to seal if there given a bit of force, going gentle on a new engine can actually be bad as its not given enough force to seal the rings... Why do you think they show you new bikes and give them stick in the show rooms in short bursts?

dont use full throttle until at least a 1000 miles while the internals are tight it can bend the crank.
the engine needs to be stressed then allowed to cool let it accelerate smoothly through the gears then slow down to allow the engine to cool
avoid sitting at a set rpm for more than a few minutes and gradually increase the throttle opening as mileage increases but avoid full throttle
all this steady riding will cause the rings/bores to glaze a little but a good thrash later will remove this and allow the rings to seal
did I mention dont use full throttle until your past 1000 miles ?its very important

Good Luck M8 and enjoy

@Neill wrote:
dont use full throttle until at least a 1000 miles while the internals are tight it can bend the crank.
the engine needs to be stressed then allowed to cool let it accelerate smoothly through the gears then slow down to allow the engine to cool
avoid sitting at a set rpm for more than a few minutes and gradually increase the throttle opening as mileage increases but avoid full throttle
all this steady riding will cause the rings/bores to glaze a little but a good thrash later will remove this and allow the rings to seal
did I mention dont use full throttle until your past 1000 miles ?its very important

Good Luck M8 and enjoy

Did u read the post I placed earlier what u are proposing is for older machines when the honeing was less accurate. today machining is far superior.

@darkember wrote:
@Neill wrote:

Good Luck M8 and enjoy

Did u read the post I placed earlier what u are proposing is for older machines when the honeing was less accurate. today machining is far superior.

hmmm Ive run in three bikes in the last ten years and I workeed for an engine manufacturer, the high quality off modern machining is all well and good but running in is about gradually wearing away the m/cing marks
thats why the run in period is a lot shorter than in the days of ford anglia's
but if it was my bike would I follow advise from a website or the manufacturer. for me the manufacturer would win hands down.

BTW the yanks are crap engineers why did they invent loctite ??

The bores and honing is one area of running in, plenty of other parts can be quickly knackered by early abuse, cams for starters. I suggest manufacturing was very accurate years ago, the materials and lubrication are much better today.

Some manufacturers say no running in period. I reckon an engine that is run-in will benefit with an extended life cycle.

As long as u dont rag it there is'nt really a run in period, my m8's new 1300bmwr, he was only told not to red line it for 200miles scratch whick i dont think you would do anyway.

not cause its new, because they shift like shit and new tyres? :P