Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

Work advice ?

As some of you know I work for myself and I am fed up of waiting for my money after I have sent a INVOICE ( only send one when I have completed the work ).
my question is do you think it is acceptable to put on the bottom something like,

" this payment is now due"
"this payment is due within 7 days"
"this payment is due within 14 days"

or I have done the censored work now pay up or fighting

at the mo I dont put anything ,

Do you give written estimates?

I would have "Payment in full due on completion of work" on them and have "Payment now due" on your invoice.

Suppose it depends on how long your prepared to wait Dave 7 days should be more than ample. Personally I pay for any job immediately as long as im happy with the work, some people just try it on I think. (I'd hate to work with the public mate!) Big bloke like you didn't think you'd have any problem with payment though. Shocked

@Davehutch wrote:
@karlo wrote:
Do you give written estimates?

I would have "Payment in full due on completion of work" on them and have "Payment now due" on your invoice.
I do written quotations Karl thumbs so i never ask for a penny more or a penny less

Suppose it depends on how long your prepared to wait Dave 7 days should be more than ample. Personally I pay for any job immediately as long as im happy with the work, some people just try it on I think. (I'd hate to work with the public mate!) Big bloke like you didn't think you'd have any problem with payment though. Shocked
I like to be professional at work m8, I have a good reputation,

i think putting something on the lines of "Payment to be made within 7 days" is fair enough! at the end of the day, if you ent got the dosh, dont have the work done thumbs

like you Dave im self employed some times hourly or if a quote,payment within seven days on the invoice thumbs

within seven days seems fair to me dave thumbsthumbs

I always make sure i have the money ready and pay cash straight away.Another thumbs for 7 days

I use to get the same shit Dave and it pissed me off,You do the work and its can I pay you at the end of the month when I get paid,eeeer NO!and then they get the arse....what the f

Dave, I too run my own business and it has taken years to get a large enough float to cover all outstanding outlay. With many of our projects spanning months, more than a year for some, it has been the single most difficult thing to do, particularly through the recession. Only a handful of our clients pay up quickly, most are 30 to 60 days from invoice date, a few need to be chased after that and a couple need a bit more persuasion. I don't get it either mate, you can't go to PC world or Argos, walk out with thousands of pounds worth of kit and tell them to go to the trouble of sending you an invoice, then wait 60+ days before they send you a reminder. It's wrong but unfortunately it's the way it is. On the other hand though, we pay all of our bills within a few days of receiving them and are well known for it, I prefer to be like that, I just wish everyone else did. As far as payment terms are concerned, it probably won't make any difference to the late payers. I do however start all invoices with "Payment is now due", doesn't speed any of them up though. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Dave.

I have a few jobs I need you to do. When completed I will pay you when I find time, if ever. I can hear you swearing at me. STOP.

Get your terms and conditions sorted.

Do you pay your bills on time? Expect customers to do the same.

Go to ASDA get a trolley full of goodies and ask them if you can pay next week.

Sorry mate but if they don't pay on time they are taking the piss or going bankrupt.

If you can Dave get stage payments , much better , tell them when you quote , thats it then

@Kenb wrote:
Dave.

I have a few jobs I need you to do. When completed I will pay you when I find time, if ever. I can hear you swearing at me. STOP.

Get your terms and conditions sorted.

Do you pay your bills on time? Expect customers to do the same.

Go to ASDA get a trolley full of goodies and ask them if you can pay next week.

Sorry mate but if they don't pay on time they are taking the piss or going bankrupt.
agree with all above thumbs

I'd go for payment on completion. As you already said you have given them a quote for the exact amount so they know what the final price will be.

Dave, you need something along the lines of:

Payment is due upon receipt of invoice (or within 7, 14, 30 days or however you see fit)

Title to goods and materials does not pass until receipt of satisfactory payment. (this means that you reserve the right to remove materials used if you are not paid)

These fu****s put me back into wage slavery despite all this however, because I was too nice to ENFORCE it. I would advise you to write (don't phone or email) requesting immediate payment. I'd advise using signed for post so that they can't deny receiving the letter, and it also gives a slightly more threatening edge to it. Smile

thanks for all your replies , at least I know its just not me that thinks once I have comleated the work I should be paid thumbs
Think I will put on my quotes that "payment in full is due upon receipt of invoice"

On my invoices i will put , "this payment is now due "

[quote="smilinjack"]Dave, you need something along the lines of:

Payment is due upon receipt of invoice (or within 7, 14, 30 days or however you see fit)

Title to goods and materials does not pass until receipt of satisfactory payment. (this means that you reserve the right to remove materials used if you are not paid)

agree

I used to present the invoice on the day of completion, unless it was for 'bits and bobs' and had a blend of Karlos and Smilinjacks wording on both the estimate and invoice. Mostly got paid the same/next day and only *very* rarely went over 7 days with domestic customers. Corporate customers on the other hand...... censored

@Davehutch wrote:
thanks for all your replies , at least I know its just not me that thinks once I have comleated the work I should be paid thumbs
Think I will put on my quotes that "payment in full is due upon receipt of invoice"

On my invoices i will put , "this payment is now due "

that should do it Dave, sounds good thumbs

Payment is now due usually ok, i have found it's the big companies and private punters with money who are the hardest to get money out of,your normal working class people usually pay up straight away.

if you see the kind of shoddy job he does you would know why people make him wait hide

If they dont pay up Dave give us a call and ile collect ya funds for ya Winkthumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
If they dont pay up Dave give us a call and ile collect ya funds for ya Winkthumbs
If ever it came to it Stu, I would get the money or will be locked up , thank god its never come to that in all the years I have worked for myself, Although I have had to give a couple of people a gipsy's warning Wink

@Davehutch wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
If ever it came to it Stu, I would get the money or will be locked up , thank god its never come to that in all the years I have worked for myself, Although I have had to give a couple of people a gipsy's warning Wink
Its bad though aint it, cant believe folk ask for jobs to be done and then not pay on time...whenever weve had anything done we always pay up as his / her last day as finally finished, thats just me i hate oweing money to anyone hence why i would pay up straight away thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
Although I have had to give a couple of people a gipsy's warning Wink

you threatened to tarmac their drive.

Agree with the above, but would also look at stage payments (again as mentioned above) for any longer jobs. Eases your cash flow and gets something out of the "customer". It also puts you in a strong position for money, pay or it stays unfinished/a building site etc. Always a good incentive thumbs

As above, I couldn't deal with the British public, too annoying ShockedShocked