Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iano

Psychiatric help

Thinking of jacking in the bike despite recently joining IAM

4/5 yrs of born again biking have been great but now I’m faced with a bill of up to £600 wonder whether it’s worth it

My bike cost £550, - it was £1.2 by the time I’d got it properly sorted, done the best part of 10K miles on this one but whole host of probs occurring, exhaust, oil use, tyres which could go up to £600

Things are getting scary on the roads – maybe now’s the time to quit (terrible thing to confess) – but have two months grace before the MOT and can just about keep going until then.

By the sounds of it you have already made your mind up. It is a great shame it has come to this but if affordability and lack of confidence of the roads is an issue then so be it.

But it doesn't mean you have to leave the site, maybe in a couple of yrs you might regret selling her,(which I think you will) then you could buy another.

Either way we are all friends on her to support you in every way possible.

i felt the same in ways, not workin at the time, having a car, and going into debt just to ride, but then im young have a passion for bikes, and dont look back for those reasons. only you can decided this one to be honest.

yes will be a shame but if its how you feel then its your decision at the end of the day thumbs

You need some serious help mate. 3 months down the line you will want another bike.

Only you know what's best for you, as said don't leave just coz you quit (if you do) it's about having an interest as much as having a bike. thumbs
I think we've all had those thoughts at some point in time.

We all think about it, doesn't matter how old you are, or how long you have been riding, there's been at least one time in everyone's life when we have thought about hanging up the leathers. Do what you think is best, but what you need to remember is, it doesn't matter if your on a bike or in a car, there will still be idiots out there.

it is only a decision you can make and totally understand your reasons....see how you feel when the warm weather is here (hopefully before 2 months grace), you know you could put her away for the winter and do her up gradually...even if you just keep the bike as a tinkering bit of fun...then you wont ever regret selling her...good luck in whatever you decide

thanks for your supportive remarks, had somehow forgotten the fact that it is an interest/hobby (ie; keep the bike even if just for tinkering comment) so that takes away slightly from pure financial reasoning,

yes there is that thing about regretting selling, vaguely recall that from first time round biking. Reassuring to hear others have had similar thoughts and especially nice to hear the 'keep posting even if no longer a bike owner'.

Feel more positive, thanks to all

as said I bet we all have these thoughts,I was only thinking about it at the weekend Shocked do I really want a bike is it worth been sat there doing nothing 60% of the time

I dont get out as much as others due to family commitments,but what would I do if I did sell rot away watching the world go bye

sell my bike,not a chance rather stick pins me eyes

I reckon you might regret it,but only you can decide have a little break from it see how ya get on thumbsthumbs

I think the same some times then the sun comes out cover of the bike and a few miles up the road , and then i no why i ride bikes . Very HappyVery Happy

Like all said above its entirely up to yourself, and if truth be told ive thought of it a few times meself especially as most of me sundays were taken up by bsb wsb motogp watching em live but i always end up keeping em, but dont forget bike or no bike your still a member of this forum and would like you to stay onboard Very Happythumbs

For those who are old enough to remember,

feel a bit like Basil - ungrateful brute letting me down

Thanx again for comments and Kind sentiments

@Iano wrote:
For those who are old enough to remember,

feel a bit like Basil - ungrateful brute letting me down

Thanx again for comments and Kind sentiments

Austin 1100 wow I had one of those. Was a mechanic in a BMC garage and used to repair them.

As an aside. We all think about it but we all get over it. As has been said take the time to do it up and enjoy many more years. I'm 65 and hopefully have a lot more years left. My fear is when I finally give it up I gonna be like a bear with a sore head for ages head bang

Hang onto her buddy, just think bout that perfect sunny day, blue skies and twisty road ahead, when everything goes just right and you get home with a big grin on your face and felling real good.... thumbs

the next best thing to riding is working on the bike,dont make any rash decisions you might come to regret,we all have off days but when it all clicks its the best feeling in the world. thumbs

That's mt all time favorite clip, that is just sooooooo me ( so dont upset me lol)

I am sorry to hear you feel this way. I have been riding for 26 years, and although I am having a real hard time getting used to the way English bikers/motorcyclists think and work, after coming from a very different bike scene in Africa. I could still never sell my bike. I am not doing the riding I am used to and would like to do, but even just going out for a 30min ride every once in a while helps me keep sane.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Zim

ITCHY wrote:
Zim, welcome to the wonderful world of waterproof bike gear foflfofl

Lol, waterproof, bike gear itself has taken time to get used to. Bike gear to us was simply a denim jacket and a pair of denim trousers. I am still a firm believer in the denim trousers but the jacket has definately been upgraded, and as for gloves, never ever wore those in Africa. Very Happy

Zim