Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

wearing a helmet on a pushbike

Olympic Gold medal winner Bradley Wiggins has called for new laws to make cyclists wear helmets after a man died in a crash near the Olympic Park. rip

I for 1 can't see what good wearing one on a push bike will do , How many people do we know when we where kids or now who died through not wearing one ??

Boris says he will not back this. Mind you some of them ride like idiots and jump red lights, cycle over pavements so pedestrians have to jump out of the way. Have nearly taken out no end of bikes up here riding without lights and the wrong way up the road. Think I'll put some cross hairs on my visor, might have better luck! soapboxbike2

Well one died not wearing one didn't he, otherwise Wiggo wouldn't have spoken up???? Just because cyclist fatalities don't make the headlines doesn't mean it's not a problem with the roads and traffic as they are now - not like when we were kids all those years ago. Certain infringements of personal choice are definitely for the greater good; seatbelts, motor bike helmets and I'd agree with cycling helmets. I'd also go so far as to suggest cyclist have insurance like motorised road users and that the duty to obey normal courtesies like not riding on pavements, not going through red lights and obeying one way signage were also enforced. Our freedoms go hand in hand with our responsibilities.

Old and Disgraceful racer2

@ptolemyx wrote:
Well one died not wearing one didn't he, otherwise Wiggo wouldn't have spoken up???? Just because cyclist fatalities don't make the headlines doesn't mean it's not a problem with the roads and traffic as they are now - not like when we were kids all those years ago. Certain infringements of personal choice are definitely for the greater good; seatbelts, motor bike helmets and I'd agree with cycling helmets. I'd also go so far as to suggest cyclist have insurance like motorised road users and that the duty to obey normal courtesies like not riding on pavements, not going through red lights and obeying one way signage were also enforced. Our freedoms go hand in hand with our responsibilities.

Can't pronounce your name Embarassed But agree with most you say here.. Especially insurance for cyclists.

Passing a proficiency test might be a good idea??

although i didnt wear one years back,i dont think you could get them then (yeah old Laughing )i always make sure the kids wear them on the road,some protections better than none thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
although i didnt wear one years back,i dont think you could get them then (yeah old Laughing )i always make sure the kids wear them on the road,some protections better than none thumbs
but i cant see why , whats the difference from falling off your bike of tripping over walking ?? Is it just me Shocked

@Davehutch wrote:
@dick65 wrote:
but i cant see why , whats the difference from falling off your bike of tripping over walking ?? Is it just me Shocked

marie insists they wear them,ive got a couple mates who ride pro theyve both had bad crashes one was saved from serious head injury because of his helmet but i suppose thats different than just having a gentle ride confused

@dick65 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@dick65 wrote:

marie insists they wear them,ive got a couple mates who ride pro theyve both had bad crashes one was saved from serious head injury because of his helmet but i suppose thats different than just having a gentle ride confused
I can understand protecting your kids no1

they need protecting m8 young archies still got stabilisers but it doesnt stop him doing wheelies off the trampoline ShockedLaughingthumbs

@ptolemyx wrote:

agreeagree well said you thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
@ptolemyx wrote:

but you will always get 1, bet someone knows someone that has fell over hit there head and died , it isnt a common thing though is it confused

@Davehutch wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
@ptolemyx wrote:

but you will always get 1, bet someone knows someone that has fell over hit there head and died , it isnt a common thing though is it confused
I suppose its a freedom of choice on what you decide to do....same as i see motorcycleist not wearing protection etc etc other than an helmet by law you could ride ya bike wearing a mankini ShockedShocked

@Stue11 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
@ptolemyx wrote:

I suppose its a freedom of choice on what you decide to do....same as i see motorcycleist not wearing protection etc etc other than an helmet by law you could ride ya bike wearing a mankini ShockedShocked
thank god jezza is not here thumbs

Wiggo should stick to winning bike races and keep his sodding nose out of lawmaking. Another compulsion, another opportunity for PCNs and stiffing ppl for £60 or whatever. Here's one for you-when I was a MAG rep I read a TRL report which stated that 38% of pedestrians involved in collisions with vehicles were over the drink drive limit. When should we start breathalysing pedestrians? scratchconfused

Wiggo should stick to winning bike races and keep his sodding nose out of lawmaking. Another compulsion, another opportunity for PCNs and stiffing ppl for £60 or whatever. Here's one for you-when I was a MAG rep I read a TRL report which stated that 38% of pedestrians involved in collisions with vehicles were over the drink drive limit. When should we start breathalysing pedestrians? scratchconfused
like your way of thinking Alan thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
thank god jezza is not here thumbs
agree more with that staement ShockedShockedShockedShockedLaughingLaughingLaughing

agree 100 %

@dick65 wrote:

Bummer, whilst reading this I was thinking "I know what's gonna be my next thumbs up pic" but you beat me too it, although as I've downed a few Southern comforts in the last hour I was gonna pose myself foflfofl

@Robbie wrote:
@dick65 wrote:

Bummer, whilst reading this I was thinking "I know what's gonna be my next thumbs up pic" but you beat me too it, although as I've downed a few Southern comforts in the last hour I was gonna pose myself foflfofl
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

"but you will always get 1, bet someone knows someone that has fell over hit there head and died , it isnt a common thing though is it "

Yep, when I was seven my brother died at 21 riding in a time trial. He had a leather grass track helmet as proper helmets werent made then. But it was a rare accident

i used to wear one as a nkid, mum made me, saying that got to a point id go round the corner with it on and hide it in a neighbors bushes, great till she saw me at the coop Laughing

i see the idea but i dont think ti should be forced. i think cyclists should have to do some sort of saftey test thou, or training as such.

I agree with everything people have said on here, but the problem is enforcement. I was on a Speed Awareness course and asked the guy what happens if a pedestrian steps out in front of me in a car and I hit them? Would it be up to me to prove I was driving legally? Would the first question be, why didn't you take avoiding action? Surely the first question should be, why did the pedestrian step out in front of the car?

I know it's a hypothetical question, but as I said to the guy on the course, the reason they chase the driver is because of the nice large ID plates on the vehicle. Makes us drivers, and bikers, a lot easier to catch that an idiot on a push-bike.

Until people admit that alot of people on push-bikes and a lot of pedestrians are idiots, then we'll continue to have the same problems.

It's not coming off a pushbike, which as Dave says can be akin to falling over on the pavement. It's the fact that cyclists, like us, SHOULD be on the road; together with lorries, busses, Volvo drivers, caravanners etc. I don't wear decent riding gear just because of what I might do - it's primarily to minimise the consequences of what others might do to me. Some people don't have the common sense to be reasonable in safety matters and we need legislation (that is enforced) to save society from their excessive foolhardiness.