Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chadatious

tax question?

right i want to view a new bike sunday. it has no tax. but i want to go to the southend shakedown on monday. i can not tax the bike at a post office as they are closed. but if i did it online it would go to the old owner. can i still ride the bike or is it still illeagal as a couple of couple have said i cant be prosecuted as its sunday/bank holiday and the post office is shut etc

So, you can't apply online, and the Post Office will be closed. I'd say you're on dodgy ground using a bike on the basis that you couldn't tax it. Fact is it will not be taxed and I'd suggest you don't use it. It's a jobsworth's beanfest waiting to happen  Suspect  and somewhere like the Shakedown will be well attended by your friends and mine.  Smile 

Even if you taxed it on-line before you go, you're still leaving yourself open to "Not displaying a valid tax disc", which is still a fine.

Even if you taxed it on-line before you go, you're still leaving yourself open to "Not displaying a valid tax disc", which is still a fine.

I ran my car with no tax disc as it was in the post. I had taxed it online and the copper said to me as long as it shows on my computer you have something like 10days to display it. But by october we wont have this problem as there doing away with the tax disc to save money.

@haveugot1 wrote:

I ran my car with no tax disc as it was in the post. I had taxed it online and the copper said to me as long as it shows on my computer you have something like 10days to display it. But by october we wont have this problem as there doing away with the tax disc to save money.

Didn't know that. Thought it still had to be shown   confused

Do it on line ask the old owner to forward it on  Smile 

you can ride without displaying it as you just say its in the post as mark said  thumbs 

@haveugot1 wrote:

Didn't know that. Thought it still had to be shown   confused

Yes it is true that you have to dispay it but coppers and wardens are now required to check on the data base before writing out the ticket to see if indeed it has been taxed or not. So it is indeed a grey area as someone said that this problem will go away in october. But even if you tax it online (date and time stamped) and a ticket was issued, you can appeal to have the ticket cancelled

I always tax online, have done for years and if there is a lapse before getting the disc then I have the email from DVLA on my phone to prove it was ordered in due time and am awaiting delivery.
Got told that by DVLA.
Never had to use it though.

If you tax online you get five days' grace while it's in the post during which time you won't get a Failure to Display ticket. Not the same as actually not taxing it though, closed Post Office, Bank holiday or no.  shake finger 

I have never displayed the disc for my zed as I keep it in my wallet   Smile 
never had any bother over it.

I did think so, just makes it hard for new buyers. the bike thats not taxed is my second choice. luckily my first choice has come around as i made a cock up.

i emailed him replying to previous emails. i actually emailed myself. worked this out today and got hold of him,, he still has it and i should be looking at it sunday if all goes to plan tomorrow with my bike going! it passed its mot retest today

and I thought it was JusT UUS old bUggers whoo are computer illiterate.  Rolling Eyes 

@madcarper wrote:
and I thought it was JusT UUS old bUggers whoo are computer  illiterate.  Rolling Eyes 

Not really mate, just that the young 'uns are better at hiding it   thumbs    Laughing    Laughing    Laughing

@dick65 wrote:
can someone translate chads post  Sad 

He's from Kent Dick, you have to make allowances  Laughing 
Think its something to do with emailing the post office
To see if the bike he wants is still for sale,but they emailed the mot station and his bike passed
but he might have another bike

and he cant tax it  scratch  Laughing  Laughing 

I found one spelling mistake or is it the way i wrote it?

On another note i have sold the ninja.