Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bladerunner

specs

any glasses wearers out there? I wear them around the house and recently its been getting to the point where I ought to wear them on the bike. I have a pair I use in the car but theyre an old prescription so I am looking at getting some new cheap ones. Question is the ones I wear in the house have an anti dazzle coating on them ( got them for driving in originally and just leave them in the house now) which works pretty well and was just wondering if its worth having on ones I would wear on the bike?
I dont want to use the house glasses on the bike because they cost quite a bit and I dont want to risk a flying stone damaging them.

I just need glasses for reading but my m8 just wears his as normal albeit with his helmet on also, about time they brought out a subscription visor  Smile 

only for reading but find I need to wear them more since I started wearing them sods law innit

Recently got mine too! But i only wear them when im tired or the light is poor, so I know the time is coming when I'll need them permanently on the bike. I have tried them a couple of times and getting the arms of the glasses in past the helmet padding nearly takes my eyes out which is a bit ironic  Laughing  I also have the anti glare coating but can't really see the difference  confused

I've worn glasses since the age of 8. I'm now 43 and have never had an issue wearing them whilst riding or getting them on and off when I have my helmet on. I think it's something you just get used too.
I have 3 pairs. 1 of which are prescription sunglasses and wear any that take my fancy on the day. I wouldn't worry too much about them unless you have an open face helmet or have your visor open all the time.

I always wear them when ridding, have done for years.. Will soon need them for close up to soon

I wear them, but went to contact lenses for football and for the bike. Went to Glasses Direct (Glasses Direct) for some cheap glasses before I got the contact lenses. They were cheap, but I only needed them for riding. And you will need your prescription.

@madcarper wrote:
I just need glasses for reading but my m8 just wears his as normal albeit with his helmet on also, about time they brought out a subscription visor   Smile 
ive got a prescription welding lens that fits inside my welding screen

any glasses wearers out there?

Yep. I'm a speccy mong.

The anti-glare seems to come as standard these days, but I can't say that I notice the difference.  I found that the best best is to have a dedicated pair for riding (and a pair of script sunglasses) as a tight helmet (oooerrr) can bend the arms and thus make them a bit crap for normal use.

Get an up to date script (Boots are good but charge, Tesco are free) and order some cheapies online for bike use.  I've tried a few online sellers and some are crap - the one I mostly use are www.optical4less.com, who haven't messed up an order in the last 8 or 9 years.

Generally I order half a dozen pairs every 9 months or so for about a hundred quid, which keeps me topped up. Only downside is that you can't try them on before you buy, but a) it'll take more than a nice pair of specs to make me look pretty, and b) the ones that really don't suit you are ideal to keep under your bike seat / in the glove box / at work as spares.

Obviously the best way forward is to use contact lenses for riding, but I'm a fat fingered clumsy oaf and I can't bring myself to pinch my own eyeball to get the things out  No

@Macie_UK wrote:

Obviously the best way forward is to use contact lenses for riding, but I'm a fat fingered clumsy oaf and I can't bring myself to pinch my own eyeball to get the things out  No

Have to agree. It's not that bad, if my fat fingers can manage it then anyones can   thumbs

i dont but id still rather contacts, hayden hit his face from his accident as the glasses cut in

(quote)"I don't want to risk a flying stone damaging them."???

Found this a bit odd?? --don't you have a visor to stop that happening?..

I've had to wear glasses for many years, and apart from the p.i.t.a. having to remove them for helmet, on/off, they present no problem to me. I hve the reaction type prescription glasses. I've been tempted to try contact lenses,but never bothered.

Laser eye surgery is the way forward.i had both eyes done 10yrs ago and have still got 20/20 vision.  thumbs 

i use a flip front helmet so dont even need to take me glasses off to put it on  Cool 

i use a flip front helmet so dont even need to take me glasses off to put it on  Cool 

That's a brill Idea, might do the same next time I buy a lid..  thumbs 

@goferit wrote:

That's a brill Idea, might do the same next time I buy a lid..   thumbs 
 thumbs thumbs 

Yep, great for enabling smoking and drinking whilst riding. And makes a nifty canopy to keep yer camera dry when taking pics in the rain :-)