Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Delaine

Book Recommendation

Hello, Everyone!

I'd like to recommend an excellent book that will help you in the prophetic. It's a small paperback that is so practical and like Mia, he tells his experiences that were positive as well as negative. The book is so eye-opening to the myths that many of us were taught by religion; Paul made it clear in 1st Corinthians that we are covet the best gifts.

Because people may not have used the gifts, such as prophesy, with wisdom, well-meaning people has put a gag on anyone in their church speaking prophetically. The book talks about training people in the prophetic--which will sometimes entail making a mistake. It doesn't mean that you are a false prophet. As with anything, we're human so we sometimes make mistakes.

That's why it is so important to have someone who can mentor us to mature us in these areas. Thank you, Mia, for this well-needed forum. I, too, am struggling with what I know is inside me, but I lack the mentorship to draw it out. I sincerely look forward to hearing from everyone here, because, like you, Trena, I am so hungry for more!!!

Blessings!!! :yes:

Delaine

You are indeed a false prophet if you speak into someone's life, claiming it to be what thus saith the Lord, and God has not given it to you. Everybody is not anointed/graced to prophecy and I don't believe a person can "train" you in doing so.

What you speak about is not a myth..Seek the Giver, not the Gifts. It is the word..."SEEK YE FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD (the Giver) and His righteousness, and all of these things will be added unto you (the Gifts)."

What was the book?

Virtuous - I think maybe Delanie meant "training" as in mentoring and accountability. Someone who can teach the scriptures and their application and to whom you can honestly talk and say, "I don't understand this." .I think we learn to be more graceful and loving when we hear grace and love flowing from someone else's mouth and heart. OF COURSE, Jesus is the best example and we need to learn from the bible. But when you hear words of love, comfort, and encouragement come out of someone else's mouth while they are under the influence of the Holy Spirit, it is an experience you do not forget and want to be around more, even if it is your mentor and they need to "correct"you.

Virtuous, I'd like to challenge you just a little bit to think of training the same your pastor went to seminary. Just because he was gifted with the ability to preach or teach, does that mean he was automatically instilled with all knowledge and fluent in his pastoring??? Why then should a person with a prophetic gifting be any different? Just something to chew on, but I would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Zech 4:10 says, "For who has despised the day of small things?" I take that to mean, "don't despise the small beginning". (The right conext of this verse is in reference to rebuilding the temple, which started with one plumb line and one stone set on top of another). God's started something great in you Delanie! Have patience and think of the wonderful things he can "build" of your life. But He has to start somehwere - with just a plumb line and a couple of stones. Keep letting Him work!!!

Virtuous - I cannot speak for Delanie, only for myself. I feel isolated. I understand the yearning that Delanie expresses when she says she desires a mentor, a teacher, an elder who is farther in his/her walk with Christ. Someone who I can say, "The Lord laid this on my heart. I KNOW it is the truth. But what do I do now." Someone who can help me learn to discern when God wants me to speak and when he wants me to just pray on it. Have you ever been there??? Maybe not in the prophetic gifting. Maybe something else or in another gifting.

All I am saying is that please don't be too quick to label anyone a "false prophet". I didn't hear Delanie say that she has spoken prophetic words to anyone. What I heard was a cry for someone to come alongside her and encourage her. Someone to help her discern what the Lord is teaching her and what He is saying. Someone who has been down that road and can help her discern what the Lord's moments of silence mean (rebuke for sin, developing faith and trust, developing patience).

FOR ME, this website has been a wonderful blessing. I have said before, I do not go to a church where prophesy is embraced. I have had one person, a missionary currently studying in North Carolina, to whom I can e-mail on occasion, and say, "I feel like I am going crazy. This is what God had laid on my heart, I obeyed, and now the thing that He showed me, has come to pass. But now, He's showing me this and I don't know what to do." I KNOW God does not need to send me a mentor to teach me. But I also know that there is so much to be learned from older generations. This website allows me to express and to question, "Am I hearing right? Am I using biblical interpretation for this scenario? Am I using God-given wisdom, or man's fixes?" Thank you to all here at this forum for the support, perspectives and scriptural references that you have given me! Much love to all! Trena (RnestseekR)

All I am saying is that please don't be too quick to label anyone a "false prophet".

I didn't label her as a false prophet. I said if you speak something to someone claiming it to be from God; then you are a false prophet. I know no one is perfect and sometimes we ARE going to miss it.

After re-reading her post, I think I may have gotten a little carried away. I am very sensitive when it come to the Holy Spirit and prophecies. I don't take them lightly.

Hi RnestseekR the name of the book is "You May All Prophesy" by Steve Thompson. Delaine had put this book recommendation on here for a few months. I asked Lola to remove it because it was not of God. Virtuous made me realize that it was not of God. Virtuous rightfully pointed out some serious false teachings about what the book was saying. In the above Delaine said something to the effect that the book teaches us about myths in the body of Christ and that one of the myths is that we should seek the giver not the gifts and that is not true because the bible said we are to covet the best gifts. Virtuous addressed that serious false teaching.

Also one of the things that Virtuous was saying is that not everyone is given the gift of prophecy in the body of Christ because the book seems to suggest that everyone in the body of Christ has the gift of prophecy. So for Virtuous as well as for me personally it is false teaching when the title of the book states "You May All Prophesy". So if Steve Thompson really said that it is a myth when people say we are to seek the giver of the gifts not the gift itself and if he may be teaching that everyone has the gift of prophecy I consider his teaching totally false and not of God.

I apologize if my first post confused anybody. RnestseekR, I feel where you was coming from about the mentor and I understand completely about having a mentor. However, I still believe in what I said about the Holy Spirit and the gift of prophecy. It's a HUGE responsibility. I have the gift of prophecy and I have a constant fear of speaking into someone's life without being confident that it's from God. I have to know, that I know, that I know, I know it is God and not me which is one of the reasons for my earlier post.

All I'm saying is God has given each of us gifts to make up the body of Christ. If everyone tries to operate in a gift that they are not graced, anointed for, or called in; we're going to make a big mess. That's out of order.

butterfly wrote:
Hi RnestseekR the name of the book is "You May All Prophesy" by Steve Thompson. Delaine had put this book recommendation on here for a few months. I asked Lola to remove it because it was not of God. Virtuous made me realize that it was not of God. Virtuous rightfully pointed out some serious false teachings about what the book was saying. In the above Delaine said something to the effect that the book teaches us about myths in the body of Christ and that one of the myths is that we should seek the giver not the gifts and that is not true because the bible said we are to covet the best gifts. Virtuous addressed that serious false teaching.

Also one of the things that Virtuous was saying is that not everyone is given the gift of prophecy in the body of Christ because the book seems to suggest that everyone in the body of Christ has the gift of prophecy. So for Virtuous as well as for me personally it is false teaching when the title of the book states "You May All Prophesy". So if Steve Thompson really said that it is a myth when people say we are to seek the giver of the gifts not the gift itself and if he may be teaching that everyone has the gift of prophecy I consider his teaching totally false and not of God.

Then that will explain why I couldn't get into the book, never made it pass the first two pages of the first chapter. It is still lying around ;in good condition, maybe I should burn it/throw it away.

remember that in the book of Joel it states that in the last days I will pour of my spirit upon all flesh..sons and daughters will prophecy etc..also even though we may be given gifts we must take time to develop our gifts by training...remember the parable of the talents in the gospels..we must multiply not decrease..we should seek the giver of gifts ..then when we recieve we develop our giftings...

Great discussion everyone! This teaches us to be aware and to be on our God about all things (keeping our head in all situations as the new testament suggests so we can point out what is not of God) because not everyone out there is speaking the truth!!

God bless you all and keep growing!!
desiree