Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mjtorrence

Jesus in Hell ??

Hi all first and foremost I am not a baby christian, yet when I hear different subjects being preached I want to dig deeper and find the true answer, so here goes I have heard from a pastor that Jesus went to hell to steal the keys to Heaven from Satan after he died on the cross :hmm: so I searched the bible and no where does it say that Jesus went to hell for three days,so I searched the internet and this is what was said When Jesus cried upon the cross, “Oh, Father, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46), it was then that He was separated from the Father because of the sin poured out upon Him. As He gave up His spirit, He said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46). His suffering in our place was completed. His soul/spirit went to the paradise side of hades. Jesus did not go to hell. Jesus’ suffering ended the moment He died. The payment for sin was paid. He then awaited the resurrection of His body and His return to glory in His ascension. Did Jesus go to hell? No. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes.
Any opinions Scratch Chin

It just doesn’t make since to me for Jesus to say, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” to end up in hell for 3 days. What did God do, receive His spirit and send it to hell? What would be the purpose in that?

I would think that would defeat the purpose of God sending His only Son to die on a cross for our sins that we might be saved from going to hell.

If you ask me, I would say He lived through pure hell being crucified. That was enough…

And then to say He had to "steal" the keys? I don't think so...

I want to know what others think as well.

God is God, He can go wherever He wants to go even in hell.

But I havent found in the Bible that Jesus went to hell after crucifixion.

1Pet 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
1Pet 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Other version says abyss, not hell.

God never steals anything, it's the devil's work.

His triumph over sin and death gave Him the right to take the key legally from satan. He took what belongs to Him from the beginning of creation.

Yes Owen God can do anything he wants but from my understanding I dont believe Jesus went to hell any other thoughts Anyone?

Bible says He went to abyss/prison, not hell. Abyss is differenr from hell.

And you are right, you must not believe He went to hell, because the Bible didnt say so.

Thank you for the responses this is what I am talking about when Pastors are telling new Christians this and its not even in the bible thumbs

Good for you MJ!! You have to try EVERY WORD by the Word of God. We love our Pastors however there are times when they miss it. They aren't doing it deliberately...sometimes it's just that they take things that they have learned over the years and just teach on it. We must pray for our leaders.

I'm proud of you for checking this out for yourself. I pray more people would follow your lead.

Thank you Cholette and your right when this Pastor told my husband this untruth I knew then I had to stop and investigate, and your right also that they do take the word of God and try and twist it because somebody told them

I agree, we should always go back to the manual, the Bible.

I happen to agree with this pastor who possibley believes in the Apostles creed which states "he descended into hell" referring to Jesus.

Looking at Eph 4:9-10 'he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth"..."he that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things"..

Revelations 1:18 says Jesus has the "keys to hell and death"
Hebrews 2:9 says in part that he "should taste death for every man"

Other scriptures to look at are 1peter 3:18-20, Rom 10:7

And Acts 2:24-28 with particular emphasis on verse 27 which says " for you will not leave my soul in hades" which was prophetic as I and many see from King David.

I also look at Jonah's plight being stuck in the belly of the whale for 3 days and 3 nights (Jonah 1:17) and Jonah 2:2 "out of the belly of hell cried I".....

Jonah has often been used as a type of Christs death....

I guess it depends on whether you believe one theory or another. When I looked up the topic on Strong's concordance site, it showed how it is a belief that many debate over.

I see the beauty of Jesus going to hell being that He conquered it and was able to get out of it, being an example for us and that he now holds the "keys of hell and death" cause He conquered it through His death and resurrection.

I see it as though, He became the sinner and that He took the place of Barabas and took His sentence, both in the physical and the spiritual, but that death could not hold Jesus down cause the only thing that could not keep a person in Hell was being the spotless lamb, pure and holy, which is why it says that he tasted death. (you can look this scripture up, but i read it in my discoveries).

I want to thankyou for your searchings MJ as they have really helped me to search the scriptures to find out why I believe what I believe.

Some people believe every part of the Apostles creed and some believe other things. Needless to say the most important thing is that we believe in Jesus and Him crucifed.

I wouldn't worry to much about this pastor's believe, I would pray for him and support him on his journey as a servant of the Lord, as a minister of the Gospel and trust him into God's care.

This is what I believe and just wanted to say a big THANKYOU for the disputable subjects that are posted here of late, some would use them to bring about dissention, but I know that all of us are God willing, trying to find out what the Word says and come to some peace about our own personal interpretations of the word.

Blessings MJ and blessings to everyone here.

Hi DS,

Thank you for sharing what you believe on this topic and for taking time to post your insights. I really appreciate it because you did your own research on it. We know that we should respect other’s belief regardless of denomination, faith, and doctrine.

Speaking of Biblical truth, however, we must also consider the biblical context of the word that we need to study so that we can arrive to biblical truth. We know that we are not trying to study theories when it comes to Bible; we are studying and seeking Truth Himself. We all know that the Bible is the infallible Word of God, therefore, we are not dealing with theories, instead we are learning spiritual truth. This is why I believe it is very important how a certain word is being used with its corresponding specific meaning.

The Bible has several examples of certain word with various literal meaning and implications. I also believe that it is very important to address it here in order to help us understand more of biblical truth. I also understand that debates, discord, dissention, and disunity in the body of Christ have risen because of Bible interpretation, whether a certain word is literal or symbolic. This is why God sent His Holy Spirit to guide us and lead us into all truth to avoid deception and delusion.

I would like to cite one example on how the Bible uses the same word with in different Biblical context or meaning.

Power. The Bible mentions power 272 times(KJV)

1.Power = dunamis = manifestation of God’s power

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judæa, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

2.Power = exousia = authority, right to act

Eph 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

3.Power = archē = rulership

Lk 20:20 And they watched [him], and sent forth spies, which should feign themselves just men, that they might take hold of his words, that so they might deliver him unto the power and authority of the governor.

Now, in the case of the word hell, the Bilble refers to two kinds of hell and those are:

1. Hell = Hades or sheol = prison, abyss, death, grave, pit, sometimes translated as corruption, decay, or destruction.

Pss 55:15 Let death seize upon them, [and] let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness [is] in their dwellings, [and] among them.

The old testament uses those words to refer hell. Interestingly notable that in new testament, it mentioned two different kinds of hell, the first is hades or death, taken from the old testament with same meaning. The other which will lead to the second meaning of hell which is…

2. Hell = Geenna = an everlasting punishment in fire.

Mt 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast [it] from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not [that] thy whole body should be cast into hell.

All those biblical references that tell us that Jesus went to hell, the word hell being used in those vesrses means hades, this is why I said in other post that Jesus indeed went to prison (hades) but He did not went to hell(geenna). If I am not wrong I think this is also what MJ was trying to understand. I know I have not elaborated well the two kinds of hell in former post.

As of now I have never found a single verse that says Jesus went to hell(geenna). If someone could show me that Jesus went to hell(geenna) as well, then, I am very willing to change what I believe according to the word of God. But right now, I have been looking and searching the Bible, and I only found that Jesus went to hades.

hee hee

You know, I didn't really have an opinion on this topic so went to doing some quick research on the web. I found that there are primarily two schools of thought on the issue (there may be more, again, my reserach was brief) which are represented by Delightful Soul and Owen. Based on what I've found so far, it appears to be a question of how one interprets those very words that Owen identified.

I personally think we have to go back to the original transcripts and translations to understand what was intended in the scriptures. I appreciate the fact that this issue was raised because through our dialogue we have a chance to grow in the Lord. For me, this type of discussion whets my appetite to study the Word more formally so that I am able to learn more deeply than I could otherwise.

Good discussion, let's keep both the comments and other topics coming! flower thumbs

Why don't we all just ask God! But here's the thing: if we paid for our sins with our own blood shedding, wouldn't we still go to hell? Jesus paid the full price. That includes all sins, curses and disease. Even though Jesus faced "hell" on earth, is there a chance that he went to hell for us. If he did go to hell for suffering, then truly our sins were so terrible! I really don't know!

lola21st wrote:
I personally think we have to go back to the original transcripts and translations to understand what was intended in the scriptures. I appreciate the fact that this issue was raised because through our dialogue we have a chance to grow in the Lord. For me, this type of discussion whets my appetite to study the Word more formally so that I am able to learn more deeply than I could otherwise.

You are right, learning the original text of the Bible (Hebrew, GreeK) is very enlightening that helps us understand the truth of who God is and His nature because there are some words in Hebrew and Greek that vary in meaning when it is translated in English. I am currently stuying the names of God in Hebrew, and it shows that what I knew about the attributes of God before was shallow compared to what the Hebrew word revealed. Example, the popular name of God is El Shaddai, meaning God Almighty, but the SHAD in Shaddai literally means breast. This implies that it He is the God who nourishes like a mother to her youngs. Or another implication is, it is He the GOd who nourishes and sustains His creation.

I praise and thank God that this kind of discussion ingnites your appetite to know the truth because we are taught in the Bible to:

2Tim 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Blessings...

I understand the contrasting implications of hades and gehenna, and to me it is all bad whichever way you look at it. It is actually where the Catholics got the place of purgatory I think (someone correct me if I am wrong)....

Thing is, Jesus went to the place, in my opinion that none of us would like to go and I am glad he took my place. If I had died without Jesus, I would have gone to hell, gehenna or hades, I would have ended up there because of my sin. But Jesus had to go there I believe otherwise what watered down kind of punishment did he get for the sin of the world and also He was the only one pure enough to get out of the hell hole, gehenna hole, hades hole, which ever.

I'm sorry but the gospel seems so simple you need a theologian to help you misunderstand it!

Blessings all. This is my last post here cause I can feel hot sauce running up my legs! LOL

Delightful soul wrote:

Thing is, Jesus went to the place, in my opinion that none of us would like to go and I am glad he took my place. If I had died without Jesus, I would have gone to hell, gehenna or hades, I would have ended up there because of my sin. But Jesus had to go there I believe otherwise what watered down kind of punishment did he get for the sin of the world and also He was the only one pure enough to get out of the hell hole, gehenna hole, hades hole, which ever.

lol! I think everybody here understands the gospel, much more for MJ, but I think she was NOT asking about the gospel. I think what she just wanted to clarify is if Jesus really went to hell, this is why I explained two kinds of hell as what is written in the Bible. I didn't expalin the gospel, nor gave my opinion on it, because she was not asking for it.

I completely understand that we are forever grateful because Jesus had to suffer but that is not what MJ is talking about.

Delightful soul wrote:
I'm sorry but the gospel seems so simple you need a theologian to help you misunderstand it!

I think this is thread hijack. MJ's post is not generally about the gospel.

Scratch Chin hee hee

My opinion:

The absolute facts perfectly fit with one of the translations for hell: death. If hell can mean DEATH... the only thing that we are absolutely sure about is that we know that Jesus died. He was dead for three days. His body was in the tomb for three days. Then, He rose again.

My position on doctrines and the bible, is if I can't read it for myself and also see it in what the disciples or Jesus actually DID, it is doctrine, which is fallable. If you can read it for yourself and see actual examples of the "thing" being performed, it's generally pretty hard to mess up. I don't worry about knowing all the answers but I don't accept what is not readily able to be found either. Like the doctrine of Jesus going to hell. If you have to divide words in two to come to a certain principle, no thank you.

Mia

When it comes to Bible and doctrine I have learned and believed that what matters most is the kind of heart and spirit in receiving biblical truth.

2Cor 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

I believe that receiving biblical truth in right spirit or wrong spirit determines the input and output flow which greatly affects the fruit I am bearing.

And when it comes to doctrine, I see to it that it is always biblically and honestly based in the word of God whether literal or symbolic, and with in the context of biblical passage, along with its semantics and syntactical , lexical connotations and denotations whether in English or its original text. I could honestly say that I cannot do it perfectly or in 100 percent accuracy because I know I am imperfect, this is why I need the Holy Spirit to depend on.

I have also learned to be open to corrections from others whenever blical truth is presented to me that I have not understood and seen it before. When I begin to think that I am always right, inevitably, pride will slowly creep into my heart.

This is where I stand in the faith of the word of God.

lol! orsome posts grt ,,,, um i was thinkin takeing the keys of death an hell, ,,, D doin theologikal reserch,, lol!

Thanks again for the help my point I was making was this is what a pastor is preaching and told my husband I know that I know this isn't right because I have done my research and no where does it say that Jesus went to hell and took the keys from Satan soapbox So with that being said I was just asking everyone what their belief and take is on the subject White Flag

im jus sayin he has the keys 2 death an hell,hades means the realm of the dead,,i dont think this is the lake of fire,, but in the end if has the keys ,,he can go ther,, ??afta all he runs the universe,

mjtorrence wrote:
Thanks again for the help my point I was making was this is what a pastor is preaching and told my husband I know that I know this isn't right because I have done my research and no where does it say that Jesus went to hell and took the keys from Satan soapbox So with that being said I was just asking everyone what their belief and take is on the subject White Flag

I do understand you MJ, and also glad that you sought for the truth.

dreamster wrote:
im jus sayin he has the keys 2 death an hell,hades means the realm of the dead,,i dont think this is the lake of fire,, but in the end if has the keys ,,he can go ther,, ??afta all he runs the universe,

soldier you da man! :reading:

Mia Sherwood wrote:
I agree. He can go there if He chose. He is God after all.

undeniably true.

dreamster wrote:
gen D goes thru hell but dont stop ther

woo hoo woo hoo woo hoo :coool: that's the General speaking

well i know a guy who died,,, i seen the scars, went 2 hell ,,,an jesus spoke 2 him an drew him out ,,took him 2 heaven then sent him bak 2 erf,, ,, D got frends in high places,,,

D, I do believe in that. there are many testimonies of people that they were brought by God to hell, even in the lake of fire, and also in heaven. Some are during NDE, others in dreams, others in trances.

I read several of those stories. wow wow

nerd Owen talking serious

yes well this guy waz in the morgue,, ,,, D talkin serious, ,,,,,,,,, ok thats ova,, lol! D bak 2 normal now,, ,, now wer waz i,, ,,,,oh yes wakein owin up,