Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raymond

Suggesting mattel to include more varieties and series for the Malaysian market?

Anyone who has contact with Mattel should suggest them

to include series such as

Since 68

Track Aces

1:87 scaled models and many more

something have to be done to make all this casting to be included in our market

Hmm, we cant just do that, they have their reasons for not selling those.
1. our spending capabilities.

For example, the ferrari series which is rm12.90 and rm44.90, which Malaysians find it expensive.

2. Theft

Malaysians kids hands are itchy, always tear cards and steal.

3. Taxes

Some cars are made in Thailand, and need 30% of taxes when Mattel import it. ( or no taxes from Asean country?)

I think what we could do is to continue to promote our hobby in hope to attract new collectors in our region. Setting up this club is
one good example - many thanks to the club founders + moderators + everyone..

with the interest of collecting die-cast model increase, maybe then, we can hope Mattel would decide to bring in more series in our local market..just my 2 cents.. Smile

Well just to share a bit more on top of 'hokuan'...and yes I totally agree on what he said. Also on the subject - it's the retailers marketer/purchaser in the company that decides on the items he/she wants to retail at the stores.

Sometimes even Mattel offers at cost price (which is quite low at most times) after calculations and all, including market trend and customer expenditure behaviors - retailers try and will always not bring anything not worthwhile.

Even you see some stores locally for eg. The Store...used to bring in HWs at all their dept stores, now you hardly see it. On top of that even Jusco / C4s / Giants / Tesco etc...kinda dread it when pegwarmers pile up and not moving, but due to the cost price & some marketing gimmick (for every 10 cases free 1 case etc) Mattel salesman offered - can't-refuse!

So when the trend changes, then only Mattel will see that their market share has now been shared among Jada (New) Tomica etc....they might just lower their cost and we'll start to see new items offered, but until the day when all collectors are able to afford, not much la but look at the current offerings in stores, no newer or nicer series by Mattel will be introduce into the market here.

But I've to say otherwise about Thailand/Indonesia etc...market there is so saturated, but yet they quite +ive about selling them higher priced toys then us in M'sia..hmmm so most times it's difficult to make a group happy but instead why not make the community (which is the majority in this hobby case) happy Smile

I would say this will not happen immediate tomorrow.

We need to make the community stronger than we have the bargain power.

It is hard to explain how Mattel works for their product line-up in Malaysia, in short they hare tried their best (we have more line-up this year)

We may have exclusive HWCM series in the future, we see how it come, just that our buying power need to be strong cheers .

Wow...imagine mainline cars have our HWCM logo on it...then ltr we have our logo on online sales items...then ltr Convention....Wink

Exclusive HWCM series , Wah Lau .....

Yup , I agree too , if there's demand i think Mattel would want to make more money too..... I do hope they will bring in More Series / Varieties ... Maybe there's some Contract that Disallow them to Sell more Varieties in Malaysia ( Since we are one of the Country which manufacturers it ) ...... so , i guess for the time being , we just Have to be Patience & wait ...... Very Happy

or Else , we can always go EVILBAY........( but have to Pay higher Price / Shipment ) .........

wah...
really looking forward for since 60 or track aces on the pegs...
i hope that will happen pretty soon
haha bounce

Bu we are getting more stuff recently. Colour shifter, ferrari racer, F1, and the 1/43 Ferrari..

yeah hokuan...
i hope they will also bring since 60 and track aces tho...
but it quite a good start recently by bringing those that u had mention...
btw...nice since60 there at ur blog bro~
Wink

Yeah, agree with what hokuan said..hope to see +ve trend maintained by Mattel so we can get more HWs/MBX line up

Also it is worth noting that despite the pictures from Australia making some of you drool (if you are drooling), here in Australia we do not have the Ferrari Racer Series, 1/43 Ferraris, and F1 series.

So I believe it could also be a fact that mattel thinks those muscle cars like G Machines and Ultra Hots will not appeal to the Malaysian market. Doesn't mean you guys won't like it, but in general people will prefer to buy japanese tuners and italian supercars (Ferrari) over muscle cars. Just like here people are more willing to purchase classics and muscle cars over japanese tuners.

Its not hard to see why they never bring in those other cars that we drool over the internet. Its culture. How many collectors know who Dale Earnhardt is? How many know the stock car races teams are there in USA? How many know the Hot Rod tuners in USA? Its culture, its their motoring history. Collectors here only look at how nice the cars by design and buy them by the bucketloads. If i were a Mattel regional sales manager for SEA market, i would NOT release those cars in Malaysia or any country in SEA. Simply because no one knows who these people where the cars are licensed from.

It makes more sense to make supercars where everyone would know and recognize. I can back up my claims easily. Just look at the amount of 08 Rod based cars on the racks. 40's Ford for example. Many right? Its appeal is only to a select few here. But its selling by the bucket loads in USA. You can still see Shelby Cobra on the racks here. But i bet in USA might have been sold out long time ago. Its a very historic car. The blue one especially as there is an actual book reference, details and history n that car.

So in other case, you can cry and pelt Mattel sales/ factories in Malaysia to sell such cars here. But realize this. Once they sell this, they will know It will be RM24.90 for something like Jada's range. And those 1:32 Ferarris are a good example how bigger is more expensive. And i'm sure 80% of the collectors here would pay Rm5.90 for a 1:64 car but not RM45 for a 1:32 car. So the select few 5% of them wouldn't mind to pay RM450 for 10 1:32 cars. But there are so little of them. The rest 15% are resellers and hoarders. But don't rely on these figures. Its my observation from trades and sales section in both LYF & HWCM and rack values at stores.

Let do a summary,

We already have more line-up this year, but they have to sell well before we got more next year.

We have missed the Since 68, the only way to see it in Malaysia is to import from neighouring countries, do we want all the left over?

I think they should open their market to the outside world in general...
I'm in Canada and I don't get half of what's offered in the US.

If any were in marketing or finance, then can talk about OUR spending power.

for sure mattel have they own market research team,so they should know which sells and don't, besides malaysian auto diecast market aren't so big.

p/s: if they sell those series for sure i'll buy them though hahahahaha

Maybe they should suit the distribution of cars in their case for maximum saleability depending on our market. It is a known fact that Civics, Volks, Lambos, and maybe some other hot models are highly sought after. Thus in 1 case they should increase the distribution of the highly sought after cars compared to the not so sought after cars.

Examples: MBX Civic Type-R, Volkswagen Fastback, Beetle Cup, Cadillac 16, red Smart 4 2, HW Datsun

My point is that, unless I am totally BLUR to the market trends in Malaysia, I will NEVER underpack cars like MBX Civic Type-R in my MBX shipments, especially after how scarce the Tomica Civic Type-R is. No point selling to the store 72 cars, where only 1 is a hot car, but will leave the store dry with maybe 71 or 36 unwanted cars.

Imagine a Proton dealer who got 50 Personas, 30 Basic Line, 15 Medium line and only 5 High Line. Unfortunately the High Line is the most high selling of them all. But to order more High-Lines they need to order 50 car batches which will leave them with extra 45 cars which may not sell. This is currently the scenario affecting all the stores here.

Granted the MBX factory is in Thailand, so it maybe hard for them to ask their peers in Thailand on what to pack. But the irony is that HWs are made locally, and I'm sure Mattel SEA can ask for some selective cases right?

They should not come up with excuses really. I mean, if they can pack not so hot cars with hot cars in 5 packs and 3 packs and even the DC promo packs, then packing the right ratio of cars in the cases must be very easy for them. They know which are hot and which are not.

So Mattel, pls dun thread all the retailers like my Proton dealer example above.

Not sure that they'll include other varieties of HWs line to our market.... but the mainline also not every wave landed here. That's a very very sad case. The main lines offered many nice casting. Just hope we'll get every wave in Malaysia. We are the country that produce HWs.... why can't we have all the wave? Crying or Very sad