Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elgee

[WIP] Two-way Co-custom Build: Gee & danielh's Nissan GTRs

Yeap, you read the topic right! Following the announcement I made in my blog and WIP thread, this time I will be joined by none other than the modelmeister himself, danielh in customizing the Nissan GT-R.

How does this co-custom build work? This is a joint effort where danielh and I will be working independently on each of our own custom interpretation on the Nissan GT-R casting from hot wheels. It is like the group build, but this time, we take it one level higher. We are each doing two(or more) unique GT-R customs, so there will be a total of four(or more) unique GT-R customs once we are done! It is our way of having fun, we have been discussing this over a period of time and we are very excited over this prospect.

Remember this thread? The poll was set up to gather what you guys prefer for the GT-R, and we decided to custom the GT-Rs based on the two top votes in the poll: GT-R Street version and GT-R Race Track version.

I myself will be customizing two GT-Rs, pending more in the future. They are currently both street versions.

danielh himself elaborate more on his plans.

This thread is not a competition between us, it does not serve as a show off thread, but as I mentioned earlier it is our way of expressing our passion for Hot Wheels and having fun. Do join us by comments, suggestions, ideas, or even using this WIP thread as a guide to do your own GT-R custom! Big passion for small cars.

whoa!! 2 master sifu combining masterpieces!!!
i really really look forward on this!!

i think only chinese understands this.....SHEUNG KIM HAP BIK!

yes, elgee has mentioned it. This is our first co-build custom together and i hope all of us will benefit from this, something we can learn together while working on it.

As for my custom GTR, i will start it with street car version. The details will be elaborate later. Thanks for viewing and stay tuned to this thread.

"2 in 1"!!! Great combi!! Both the Master of Customizer will sure give us a BIG surprise from their co-custom work!

As we all know b4..they already show us their excellent and talent in their custom work! Now...co-custom..so the result will sure be more = !!!!!

Here's my GTR, freshly out from the blister and straight away to the removal of the casting. I can see the inside details how was it look. It's different from other body casting. Will update the WIP later.

And here is my GT-R, which rivets I have drilled off yesterday.

I must agree that the casting is slightly different. The inside is moulded better and like the evo x, part of front grill is attached with the base.

thanks ckh!!

yes, the first thing i've notice are the roof of the GTR casting are without two front window support pillars below. had to be careful not to accidently hard press the roof on top or the end side of the roof will crack. But it's unique to see this roof casting are supended from the rear body panel. I've checked the tomica's GTR and they have those front windows pillar intact with the casting.

danielh wrote:

yes, the first thing i've notice are the roof of the GTR casting are without two front window support pillars below. had to be careful not to accidently hard press the roof on top or the end side of the roof will crack. But it's unique to see this roof casting are supended from the rear body panel. I've checked the tomica's GTR and they have those front windows pillar intact with the casting.

hmm, very good point. i didn't check other castings for the A pillar. haha, you already pointed out one major flaw in the casting danielh! i probably wouldn't have noticed it if we arent doing a co-custom. anyway, i referred to a real picture and there is the A pillar, i guess hot wheels was just lazy. good eye bro!

small update; paint stripped the gtr just now.

jhc7598 wrote:
dremel multipro!!

haha yeah, this one is one generation older. the latest dremel looks way cooler. but this tool is pretty handy, it can cut, saw, drill, etc.

since the paint has been stripped, the dremel is waiting to do its job.. heh heh

kukubeh wrote:
^ jhc you also one custom sifu. join them la.

i'm not sifu la, thats why i still dun have it.. RazzRazz

kurz wrote:
^ jhc takde dremel multipro

.. tu la, lama dah cari, cuma x jumpa2 yg berpatutan.. sape² bleh tolong??

elgee wrote:
jhc7598 wrote:
dremel multipro!!

haha
yeah, this one is one generation older. the latest dremel looks way
cooler. but this tool is pretty handy, it can cut, saw, drill, etc.

since the paint has been stripped, the dremel is waiting to do its job.. heh heh

ya la, thats why i'd been looking for this for a long time.. maybe someone could suggest me where to find it in KL??

Works continue as yesterday
Paint removal applies, and the original paint peel off within few minutes, and all left nothing but bare metal.

The casting now are apply with hard sanding to some die casting line and to some part of the body and proceed to spray a layer of primer coating. After the primer coat dried, apply another soft sanding for smoother surface.

This time, first layer of white sprayed coating applies and another second coat applies few hours later.

And the final coat of white paint.

You might wonder why i would stripped the original white paint and resprayed the white paint again? The answer is simple, the original paints come with another layer of clear coating which are smooth and glossy. Any other paint or airbrush applies on top of it won't last long and it will peel off later.
this is what i've experience when i've try to cut short of my work.

waiting................. waiting............. tick tick tick

So far progress has been smooth. This small update I tackled the bodywork. I began by cutting off the rear wing, since I will be using a replacement wing of my own later.

I always thought that the GT-R has a problem. The front bumper is moulded way too short. Even the stock GT-R has a lower bumper than this casting! So in attempt to resolve this issue, I started putty work on the front part of the body.

I will continue the bodywork on the next update. Till, then cheers!

after i saw the putty had been used, i'm damn sure this gonna be outrageous!!

yes, it will be something new surprise to see from elgee's GTR. The front putty applied and the rear wing which are detached indicates that it will be awesome GTR we've ever seen.

thanks for your support

i continued the bodywork today, beginning to shape the tyre flares and front spoiler. i made a slight mistake at the front lip. so i had to reapply the putty again.

i also laid the base putty for the side and rear. waiting for the new putty to dry up before starting the shaping again.

more bodywork today, the shape is starting to show.

Adrian wrote:
Nice..like the shape..

thanks! im trying to mould a wide body kit, but its hard to level and smoothen all the surfaces! more work work work.

this putty on GTR wide body will definately needs some time to smoothen it into the shape. Take you're time elgee. Patients will sees some good quality result.

good job so far gee ...... I think u also may need to widen the rear arches too .. Looks like a JTCC model coming soon

danielh wrote:
this putty on GTR wide body will definately needs some time to smoothen it into the shape. Take you're time elgee. Patients will sees some good quality result.

yeah, good piece of advice. Smile i tend to get a bit impatient with things after a while.

enyomic wrote:
good job so far gee ...... I think u also may need to widen the rear arches too .. Looks like a JTCC model coming soon

aye aye, thanks! i will tackle the back soon, but im not doing a JTCC. Smile

wow.... custom made widebody kit on GTR... nice one bro elgee... keep up the good work..can't wait for the final result...

xeifu wrote:
good luck two bro(elgee + danielh)=GTR

thanks! me and elgee would appreciates your comments.

Works of progress continues, the masking are in place as marked for spray paint works.

after removal of masking, the black colour portion and lining can be seen now.
Guess what's the design theme this time?

i think everyones knows already by now...
sorry for the blur image, got to close.

and top view

well thats all for now as works stop at yesterday quite late in the evening. Will continues as more works need to sort it now.

Wooohoo! Superb update, loving the tempo and its so neat!

As for me, I have been busy rushing my assignments so progress has been halted. But I have continued on the body work today, and I finally sanded it down to the shape that i want. all the sanding work has been down with the dremel so far. after this i will sand with higher grit sand papers to refine the surface even more.

As for the side and rear, there is not so much work on the body as the front. Just some extension.

yes, your GTR has taken up the shape already. I haven't custom using this putty before. Is it harden when fully dried? But i can see that you can mould it in whatever body shape or the contour you wanted it. This is the advantage using putty.