Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zacktan

Dissatisfaction

Members of HWC Malaysia,
do you feel a sense of dissatisfaction if you are unable to fully complete the models you want?
For example, Hot Wheels, we have wheel variations, colour variations, base variations and etc variations
You would want to have each and every variations
Or are you that type of collector that doesn't care if you complete that line or not,
like okay I have one or two of that line/model I'm okay with it

What would you do?
Give up the model? Search it elsewhere until you get it? Or just yeah whatever?

I myself am kinda fussy with my collection, I want it to be complete.
If I can find, and it's pricey I don't mind paying for it
If I think I can't complete it, I'll give up the line or models.

Give some comments!

I think trying to complete all the variations are even tougher and more complicated than trying to find thunts. Smile, thats why I just stick to the hunts....

but in my opinion, I guess you would need to really work hard hunting for them and also have a network of people helping you out like some of the people here. People from overseas like Canada, US etcetc also would help greatly especially with the kmart exclusives if you also count that in as varaitions, then you would really need overseas help. You can give up if you think you cnnot complete it but then agin you gotta be patient. Nothing is impossible with the right timing and sometimes sad to say, price....

same with me.. for me, when we got all the variants, it'll be a lot of satisfaction but to archive that, sure require lots lots of patients, n sometimes, funds..
for me, just to complete my certain castings, i dont mind paying extra price as long as the variation exists.. i'd spent mostly every day in ebay,mudah.com.my n other onlines stores finding n finding my incomplete variations, n that require lots of time n patients..
i dont really have overseas friends except who joined hwcm here, n thats why it's kinda hard to complete all variations..
and for the new n current waves @ cars, although i'm traveling mostly every month to everywhere nationwide, still cant complete all variations... need more of hard works n time i think..

and for easy to say, to complete the castings, we need
Patient + Funds+ Time + Luck + Contacts ..

and gud luck, n keep on trying!!

When i started my hot wheels collection..i just wanna it to be complete ..and try hard in anyway and pay the higher $ to get it!

But since then...i learn that its not easy altough u willing and dont mind to pay it in higher price!! Just like variant...maybe we can complete it from our local market..but how bout variants from the overseas??

So..from now on....i just take it easy ! We collect hw for fun..not for stress!!
..and agreed to wat jhc said :

to complete the castings, we need
Patient + Funds+ Time + Luck + Contacts ..

Hot Wheels?! im collect everything!! .. so im not into completist, but more into selective..

why i need to bother if the item is expensive? or crazy hype on it? no need laa if i can get another casting or another model with such amount to spend, xperlu rebut sana sini..

and i also not so sapu person, as for me, if i already hv the same car, but diff color, vari, i can leave it behind..

me, very less pocket money for this hobby.. and what in my mind, later i will get the card, later the card will come to me..

collecting is ongoing, u need to think smart.. else if u got higher budget, go on..

remember all, Hot Wheels wave will never end.. so our collecting..

and one more.. to whom actually u want to show off ur super duper collection? no need laaa.. it should be for your own satisfaction..

I think the main thing here is the question that goes,

"Why in Malaysia, HW cars even in basic form is not complete in its variants? Get only 2 out of 5."

guess HW wanna make money elsewhere coz they think malaysian are not realli into collecting HW cars.. funny thing is all HW basic made in Msia appears in US faster than here, what kind of logic is that? onli explanation i can think of is that Mattel onli market to the place where the big bucks are first, we malaysian the 'kicik miao' give us watever left-over lor...

When I started collecting back in 2006, I remember standing in the diecast isle and just staring my mouth open at the dozens of pegs full of HW not knowing what to look for.

So I decided JUST to complete the First Edition cars.......I just wanted to complete that series......I think I cried....

Even if you want to complete one sectional line, it's almost impossible to do so. I remember later doing an inventory and taking out all the 2006 FEs and having way more than just the number of cars in the line. AND I was missing some!

As PY said, unless you have contacts, it's very hard! And jhc has the right equation for it!

i think its up to every individual.
i collect purple passions.
when i wanted to start collecting it every one asked me one question - "why???"

i've seen it hundreds of times on the racks in Giant n Tesco. but i never really bought one... but suddenly i had one in my hand n the craze started.. i'm sure Danielh knows what i'm talking about. since he has recently started collecting purple passions himself.

the nex step was to look for how many variations r there for that casting...
try taking a look at southtexasdiecast.com.....
i almost fainted when i saw the list.
but nevertheless, this only presented me a greater challenge!
i believe i wud have more fun TRYING to complete it and i know it wud take me years to do.

I did buy most of them from ebay n some i got them locally. but i never once spent a bomb for any of my purple passions.
the most i spent was on a 2002 japan convention passion that costs me only rm70 at a local hobby shop. the second most expensive is the 1992 toy fair passion still in baggie for rm60 including shipping!

what i'm trying to say is, i have set myself a limit on how much i am willing to spend

try searching for 1995 thunt purple passion. the last i checked it was 300USD! thats crazy rite?! but no i wont spend that kind of money now.
but there is one passion that goes for 75USD.. its a buena park convention passion that has pearl paint. only 500 were made. after watching it for a few months,
a seller suddenly popped up with 3 of the same passions! but his were number 1/500, 2/500 n 4/500..!
the 4/500 closed at only 20USD...
i missed it. but it doesn't mean i am gonna give up collecting purple pasisons!
its an on going hunt that will continue for years to come. and i'm sure i will smile everytime i get hold of a passion that i do not have.

another series is the 2008 reg treasure hunts...
many ppl i know have given up trying to complete it jus because the rockster is impossible t get. but i dun care. i know it will turn up sooner or later. n guess what, i got it from sinclair!!
im jus short of the 16angels now.. i wont give up. n i wont pay a bomb for it.

now to the 2009 reg hunts... currently looking for bone shaker, mustang n fire eater to complete it...

Nicely said everyone, I agree everyone is different and has their own conception on collecting.
Just think of how proud you might be, that sense of satisfaction when you succeeded in completing the line/models

MarieJuliette wrote:
As PY said, unless you have contacts, it's very hard! And jhc has the right equation for it!

btw im the same with cawan i guess...if the car i like hard to find..then i just get from other brands..which are nicer anyway..lol

but managed to complete 08 t-hunts this early year really feels great

as we knw mattel really never look serious in m'sia market.so it's not easy for collector to hunt the hot models nowdays as this forum becoming more famous,most of the collector with insider grabs all the hot stuffs & sell here in higher price.......
as a collectors we shd share & help each other,when there is hot & new models in certain venue......
But last few yrs back before I found this forum early this yr,i only collect ferrari hw but sometimes also found many nissan skyline,fairlady,honda si & many hot models hanging whenever I go shopping with my family.
but nowdays no more old story to tell......
just hope the hwcmalaysia comittee can help some of the collectors here on this matter with mattel ,so that all hw m'sia collector can really get wat they wan..........

time for me to write something on this.....

ok people... I have come to conclusion on this topic ....

many variants = many models = a lot of looking for it time = spend a lot of money

everywhere as I was told by distributors and Mattel themselves that the problem is the waves that come in are based on the orders that they receive.

So if let say u have wave D and our distributors ordered like 100 of it ..... they may end up taking 3 months to clear. So wave E F n G came in between them, we may have lost 3 waves so there may be shortage or did not receive in some models or variants.

So the next 100 they end up ordering H ... and the cycles repeat all over again .. u got a big problem. If the distributor are able to find ways to dumb that amount of hws ... there are able to supply every wave that they can get from HW.

The root of the problem may b us. We only buy certain models ... so the unwanted ones will always left hanging there. If we wanna get more waves in, we may need to look into buying others too.

my 2 cents for this topic ... and happy hunting

okay..agree with enyo
honestly, sometimes i do buy rubbish cars.......hehe............
but no blimp ==''''

@enyo, you theory is correct if:
1. the distributor orders a lot of stock and not able to clear.
2. the wave came in sequence one after another.

some small department store only order like 2 cartons at a time. eg. MJ BTS. they restock 2 cartons of qombee on feb, then 2 cartons of camaro wave on apr, then when i was expecting a 55 chevy wave on jun, came again the qombee case restock. when i was expecting a fury wave restock on aug, came the bagger wave.

by the time they clear the bagger wave stock (which i think will take another 1 months), let say they restock with 34 ford wave. so is MJ is the one to blame that they miss the 55 chevy and fury wave? can somebody enlighten me?

I think we will neverfigure out the wave patterns in Malaysia distribution. We don't feel like the priority. Maybe our stores don't want to order more hw so they cut down to buying 1 or 2 boxes every two three months since sales are a bit slow and there are gonna be loads of unwanted cars left on the pegs. But the distribution is indeed a crazy pattern .....qombee, qombee, chevy ....bb.....fury.....bb....qombee now why did mattel send qombee again to some places when clearly its not collector driven strategy to do so. Sounds more like just dumping whatever random or perhaps don't realy care wat they dump in mot places.

I suspect Mattel warehouse in Malaysia is a total mess. Every wave is just sorted by carton number rather than "waves". Explains why we recieve cars not in sequence.