Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Time for a tyre thread

Right, no rush here but I'm going to have to replace the tyres on my ZZR1200 in the foreseeable. Money being what it is, I'm considering a set of Maxxis Supermax touring tyres. Has anyone used them and is there a reason that a set for my bike is around £130 which normally only gets me a rear fitted? Do they wear OK, and will I cack my pants if I ride in the wet? Smile

Dont know if its relevant really cause of the bike power but i had them on a Hornet 600.They where fitted by the bloke i bought it off but had only done the 10 miles home from the garage.
Im a fair weather rider and in the dry i could get me pegs down at the first roundabout from my house(2 miles).I got caught out in the wet a few times and never had a problem.I sold the bike after 1100 miles and the tyres still looked new.

ive used them for 2 yrs now, and to be honest i wouldnt change them for anything ,, they are a great all rounder , never had a problem with them ,,,,,,, thumbsthumbsthumbsthumbs

Right, no rush here but I'm going to have to replace the tyres on my ZZR1200 in the foreseeable. Money being what it is, I'm considering a set of Maxxis Supermax touring tyres. Has anyone used them and is there a reason that a set for my bike is around £130 which normally only gets me a rear fitted? Do they wear OK, and will I cack my pants if I ride in the wet? Smile

I have not tried them on a big bike did have a set of Maxxis Supermaxx sport on the KTM 640 good and sticky, they did ok on the track day I did in the wet, not sure how they would go on a big ZZR.

I go for Michelin Pilot Road 2CT’s for the BMW they lasted about 5000miles a set.

E.Goldsiten “They are watching you” Suspect

use the supermaxx sport front and back on my B12, i found the grip great in the wet and dry, mind you i dont ride the tyre to the edges though but plenty of grip for me.
back tyre is gud for about 4000 mls but i reckon the sports tourer will do more.

No being in the trade ive heard alot of good from maxxis, they have as you prob allready know been in off road sports for a while, allthough never used them personally ive fitted a few in the last year and had no complaints, every tyre thats made for uk and accross europe have to meet certain criteria ie safety and grip regs, all i ever recomend to anyone buying new tyres is, buy the specific tyre that you intend to use it for, ie the touring tyre is made of harder rubber made more for durability rather than chucking her around corners, so if thats what your looking for go for it give them a try. Me personally always go for sports touring as they tend to give you a bit more grip if you fancy leaning her over on the odd occasion or two. Very Happythumbs hope ive made sense, as for brands im affraid its just down to personall opinions and preference thumbs

Hiya Alan, put Maxxis Supermaxx touring tyres on the bandit 12 last march, first rear lasted 4,500, second rear is on nearly 5,000 with a little still left to go....the front is the same one fitted in march, it looks as if its done 1,000 miles instead of nearly 10,000, I don't think it will ever wear out !!
For the price they cant be beaten, however, I wouldn't put them in the same category as Bridgestone's, Dunlop ect.
They are a decent run of the mill tyre, and are suited to normal everyday riding, they do take a bit of getting used to though, they follow lines/cracks/humps in the road like there's no tomorrow and the bike just doesn't feel "planted". But if you can see past these failings they are a decent tyre and once warmed up on a dry day they are up for a bit of hooning about. Initially I didn't like them and couldn't wait to get them off, but as the weather warmed up and I found out what they could and couldn't do I resolved to give them a fair trial and stuck with them.
One of our Yorkshire lot has them on his ZZR 1400 and swears by them, (he runs the cafe at Premier Bikes in Askern near Doncaster if your ever up that way). he regularly goes over to the I.O.M and to quote him "nobody passes me over there"!

trev

Good answer Trev, thanks. thumbs I think I'll give them a go for the simple reason they're all I can afford in any case, and summer's coming so problems of grip should be minimised. Hopefully I'll be a bit better placed to get some "proper" tyres next time around. Smile

I've got the supermaxx sports tyres on mine and I think they're bloody excellent! never had any trouble with them wet or dry - though I do ride a bit gentler in the wet anyway!! just coming up for a rear replacement at 3500 miles but the front doesn't even look half way down yet - the rear might last a bit longer if I didn't keep twisting the right grip so hard!!! Wink
forgot to say that the touring version's supposed to last much longer, I recently had some fitted to a friends rf900 and he's been riding through the winter on them and says they're good - and he rides pretty hard!! Wink

@Les wrote:
Noooooo.... not a tyre thread.

'fraid so-and I think my brake pads are starting to wear as well......... Very Happy

I've been riding round with metzeler Z6's on my b6 at the moment, came with the bike when i bought it and i've only just started having problems with them now.

Been riding 2 up over the winter and the back tyre has started to square of and needs changing, for just the back im looking at around £140 but friends have been telling me maxxis supermaxx touring tyres are just as good, priced them up today and for front and back fitted im looking at £175.

Right, just ordered a set of Supermaxx Touring tyres, £125 delivered. With the VAT off (business use) that's a spit over £100 for the pair. Just hope I don't end up spending the money I've saved in replacing soiled undercrackers. Very Happy

ive been using michelin road 2s for the past year on my bandit 6,i can still do extreme cornering in the wet plenty life left in them after 4000 miles,i used michelin sport before that lets just say they didnt inspire confidence,i might give the maxxis a go next thumbs

I put Michelin Road 2's on my Bandit 12 and after the factory fit (can't remember what they were apart from crap!) they were fantastic tyres, inspired so much more confidence in any conditions, now got Bridgestone BT021's on my FJR and so far I'm well pleased thumbs

@peejay wrote:
I put Michelin Road 2's on my Bandit 12 and after the factory fit (can't remember what they were apart from crap!) they were fantastic tyres, inspired so much more confidence in any conditions, now got Bridgestone BT021's on my FJR and so far I'm well pleased thumbs

yes got the road 2's on mine thumbs

Right got the rear Maxxis fitted today, hopefully do the front tomorrow/Friday, then I'm all set for some cheap motoring this Spring. Just hope they're OK. Smile

Nice one Alan ..... just be a bit wary while the weather is still on the cold side until you get used to them thumbs

Trev

@gtman wrote:
Nice one Alan ..... just be a bit wary while the weather is still on the cold side until you get used to them thumbs

Trev

agree make sure you scrub 'em in for at least 100 miles or so thumbs

@peejay wrote:
@gtman wrote:

Trev

agree make sure you scrub 'em in for at least 100 miles or so thumbs
and that goes with any tyre thumbs

@XS1100 wrote:
Bridgstones way to go.

If I could get a pair fitted with change from £150 I'd say yes. At the moment cash is the deciding factor and that's why I've got Maxxis. Smile

ive just bought the maxxis and cant wait to try them out. look good and people are all talking about them and its good talk thumbs