Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iano

IAM Anyone?

Trying to do something about not getting wiped out so went for an informal assessment as part of a ride out with the local IAM group -

it was a days outing of 140 miles with a couple of breaks, relatively fast pace as well.

Whoever selected the route did a clever job, some lovely roads, had two observers pick holes in my riding, typically the complement then the criticism.

Did learn a couple of helpful tips though, a question of adopting the changes by practice now.

- the biggest surprise was the last third of the run seemed to be a free for all back to their base (a pub), that got a bit competitive.

will go on and do the formal test with more training but their runs are too scarey for me, isn't that wierd with a motorcycle safety group.

Ian

Ian, do you mind me asking how much this costs?
Cheers, Carole
PS lovely dog... sadly I had to have my 12 year old labrador put down today - heartbroken - need to get back out on my bike

I keep say i will go one one just to see if im good bad or total crap . but as yet not got round , i bet we all have a few faults , Laughing

Ian, do you mind me asking how much this costs?
Cheers, Carole
PS lovely dog... sadly I had to have my 12 year old labrador put down today - heartbroken - need to get back out on my bike

thanks carole - poor old rocky in the picture isn't that good, he's got a few problems although you wouldn't realise from the photo (taken at Christmas)

I'm very sorry about your pooch, can just imagine how devastating that must be, they are a member of the family after all aren't they.

IAM typically costs about £140, I got mine at a special recruiting rate but it wasn't really a big saving as it is not the closest to me, somebody I know is a member of that particular branch.

Not absolutely sure but I think you get six or so sessions with your own 1 to 1 observer for that, I'm sure there is a free fiddle if you aren't considered up to scratch for the test, seems to me that if you show enough interest they melt.

@madsod wrote:
I keep say i will go one one just to see if im good bad or total crap . but as yet not got round , i bet we all have a few faults , Laughing

that's the problem. hard to change ingrained habits however what they said just on that day out made a lot of sense and felt, if i could just bring myself to adopt their advice as automatic, it could potentially save me from a nasty.

@Iano wrote:
@madsod wrote:

that's the problem. hard to change ingrained habits however what they said just on that day out made a lot of sense and felt, if i could just bring myself to adopt their advice as automatic, it could potentially save me from a nasty.

This sounds good Iano
Prob not just save from a nasty but also make your (anyones) ride more confidant and enjoyable

wonder if they'd do a forum discount Smile

got a little confession - didn't want to go on the training thing so had to force myself, trouble is that there are too many nutters coming out of side roads without looking or they have cars with thick door pillars.

IAM don't seem to have the answer to that other than positioning and manoeuvring - something which is difficult to do, of course speed is another thing they emphasise (despite going wild in the countryside as witnessed).

i tried a bikesafe course last year and really enjoyed it also learnt loads of good stuff,bit weird one to one with a copper tailing you but you soon get into it,anything to keep you fresh and safe on the roads alright in my book thumbsthumbs

so did they give you any advice if you do get into a sticky situation

Ive been told you shouldnt consentrate on the hazard but look for away out of it if you come across one

most people will freeze and focus on the hazard instead of looking to get out of it

I used this method once and it worked,but I pray that will only be the one time thumbs

oh bikes dont ride well on grass verges but its better than hitting a car thumbs

@Iano wrote:
<snip> their runs are too scarey for me, isn't that wierd with a motorcycle safety group.Ian

The thing with the IAM is that the pace of the runs is totally dependant on which area group you go with (a bit like with Bikesafe you might get a good 'un and you might get a pedantic one) but as long as you find one that you're comfortable with, it can only be a good thing thumbs

Came across a group of riders in a mess on the road last year. Evidently one or two had gone over the brow of a hill in Norfolk and dropped their bikes braking for a bend. The rest piled into the wreckage (about 12 bikes in all) Guess what, IAM bikers slapheadslaphead

TheBiker46 wrote:
Came across a group of riders in a mess on the road last year. Evidently one or two had gone over the brow of a hill in Norfolk and dropped their bikes braking for a bend. The rest piled into the wreckage (about 12 bikes in all) Guess what, IAM bikers slapheadslaphead

They were from the

Institute

Asshole

Motorcyclists

Something I keep meaning to do but have put off so far. My Dad did it a few years ago and heartily recommends it thumbs . The other option is an "assessed" ride with the local Police. I know Cleveland Police do them, and they're free. It consists of a morning out being followed by a bike cop. You stop at certain points and he tells you what he thinks. To me they were fine and as said above, if it helps keep you fresh on the bike, is it a problem? confused

being followed by a bike cop. You stop at certain points and he tells you what he thinks.

Yeah, I've had that a few times.
He normaly go's red in the face,
waves his arms about a lot, and charges
me $300 to take points off my licence.... Laughing

being followed by a bike cop. You stop at certain points and he tells you what he thinks.

Yeah, I've had that a few times.
He normaly go's red in the face,
waves his arms about a lot, and charges
me $300 to take points off my licence.... Laughing

foflfoflfofl

i might look into some riding like this now. last bike had for race use exhaust, and nothing was stamped. least this ones got road legal kit, even if it is louder Smile

i wana do rospa. but nothing local enough yet.