Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirtydog

back protection

just a quick thread whats the general opinion on wearing a back protector...ive treated my self to a 2nd hand 2 pice set of richa leathers jacket has protection ib the back but is it worth getting more

I took mine out of my jacket but i am old and daft Embarassed but TBH you can't have enough protection if you did happen to come of and say hit the kerb with your back a protector would spread the the inpact rather than it being in one place could be the difference between walking again and not sorryaffraid

i wear a Oxford one all the time , it could save your life , or after a bad of you can still walk , and not be in a chair ,

For anything other than just nipping down to the shops, I wear mine all the time on the bike, as does small child. thumbs
Apparently the foam ones that come inside jackets are mostly worthless, and (IIRC from a Ride test a couple of years ago) some cheaper back protectors can actually do more harm than good.

We both have a Forcefield Pro L2 - they feel bulky as hell when you first put it on, but they actually mould to the shape of your back with body heat and then become dead comfy. I crash tested one and it stood up well and no doubt saved a bit of pain. They also double up as a girdle Very HappyVery Happy

If you do get one, make sure that it's the right size - too small and it won't do it's job, too big and it'll ride up your back and jab you in the back of the head.

also meant to ask if there was a particular brand to look out for or even one to avoid

Some reviews:

Ride Review

MCN Review

Not that I trust owt that MCN write, but it's something for ya to have a browse at.

just checked the label on the actual protector in my jacket and it says that it conforms with the regulations of personal protection equiptment thumbs dont feel much though

Doesn't have to feel much though mate - the Hiprotec armour that HG use in their suits is apparently very good, but flops around like an off cut of rubber car mat when you take it out thumbs

I AGREE WITH MACIE....FORCEFEILD IS THE BEST PROTECTION YOU CAN BUY.
BUT MACIE....qoting you..
( For anything other than just nipping down to the shops, I wear mine all the time on the bike,)

JUST THAT LAPSE, COULD BE THE TIME YOU HAVE A MIS-HAP.. Shocked I HOPE NOT..

Yeah, I know sorry no-one expects to have a smash, but the shop is that near I could walk it in the time it takes to get me kit on. That said, between here and there is precisely where laddo had a head-on with a transit van a couple of years ago.

Ive never thought about wearing a back protector but they make them so slim now you never notice they are there thumbs

anyone wear chest protectors as well? thumbs

something ive never botherd with Embarassed

not the pics above of course Laughing

I wouldn't wear a jacket without back protection. I went on a rideout a month ago and realized that i hadn't swapped my BP from the other jacket, I went straight to the nearest bike shop and bought one.

I always wear mine especially after chippin mine and slipping discs Sad

I wear a full Forcefield back protector with my leathers but Ive taken the original protectors out of the textile jackets and replaced them with Forcefield inserts from J and S

all my jackets have pockets, ive got 2 foak one solid one breatheable, but i have a reinforced stamped one i wap mbetween all of my jackets, back gets hot but rather it be protected as when i got reversed into i hit my back on my mates bike, and it bruised through the reinforced ones, let alone not having one

Been meaning to look at it for a while now. This could just the "kick" I need to get one thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
after you posting this I have put my back protector back in my jacket today thumbs

i suppose ill have to put mine back in as well now Smile

Been meaning to look at it for a while now. This could just the "kick" I need to get one thumbs

thumbsthumbsthumbsthumbsthumbsthumbsthumbs

Good to see ive finally posted something worth reading and thats making people think about their personal safety ....since starting this thread i have looked at all my bike gear and im suprised/shocked to find that 3 out of the 4 jackets have little or no protection despite how sturdy they feel (i dont buy sh!t) so im going to invest in a back protector and THATS THAT lol

yeah i try and wear my forcefield one all the time

after doing alot of research and trying on in the shops I wouldnt bother with anything other than a forcefield.

cracking bits of kit and at very good prices