Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eight

Photography: How take good photo of model cars...?

First of all... im really impressed wit some of the member here that very good at photography... and some photo you guys post looks really professional... me not so good... just shoot no style... Sad

im just using a sony cybershot digital camera... dont have any fancy SLR... Sad (does what camera we use matters?)

Can anyone share tips how it is done... i have seen in the internet some people have like small box they made with white background with lighting and all to take nice picture of the model car or/and other products...

example got from internet...

here is some of my not so professional photos i have taken...

The base is shiny because its a grass surface...

this one just put white A4 paper, enhanced/touch up in photoshop (cheating abit...hehehe)

some group photos i tried out... not so good Sad

can anyone share some tips... thanks in advance...

Awesome! Look really cool, the lighting position is correct, just only have to improve your focusing. Just sharing my opinion , hope this will help. Very Happy

A better camera would help alot i.e. a DSL. It's gonna cost a bomb though.

me... focusing not so good... empat mata... Shocked heheh
i just only digital camera focusing option in the camera very limited...
anyway thanks for the constructive comment... Smile

DSL:em... tak cukup budget... but was thinking if got budget to get a NIKON D40 or D60... D80 also not bad... any recommendation...

There is no cheating in using photoshop. Nobody can get the perfect photo without the right equipment. And this is not a photo competition anyway.

As a noob, I always use editing software to make my photos better since I use a P & S camera also. It is difficult to get the correct brightness and even-ness of light over the subject.

You don't need a high-tech set-up like those above, but need to get the basics at least - enough brightness, no direct light on subject, don't use flash and have some light-colored background and sides (to bounce the light over the subject). Shooting without flash requires a steady hand, better yet, use a tripod for the camera. The better the quality of the original picture, the better will be the 'photoshopped' version.

Me still learning and experimenting taking photos.

Btw, your pictures aren't half bad, bro. I like the glass reflection!

mr. sinclair: thanks for the tipp sifoo... Smile
i always admired your photos... i have learned few important tips from you... the best one is NO direct light on the subject... i been doing it the wrong way... direct light on the subject... hehheehhe no wonder la photo always have glare or big white shots..... basic rules also wrong... Razz

eight wrote:
me... focusing not some good... empat mata... Shocked heheh

DSL:em... tak cukup budget... but was thinking if got budget to get a NIKON D40 or D60... D80 also not bad... any recommendation...

if you bought DSLR, remember to set aside some money for macro lens as well. =)

kukubeh wrote:
eight wrote:
me... focusing not some good... empat mata... Shocked heheh

if you bought DSLR, remember to set aside some money for macro lens as well. =)

Wow,talking about the macro lens, it will cost a lot man! Shocked

Quote :

Wow,talking about the macro lens, it will cost a lot man! Shocked

welcome to dslr world. Razz

i like your setting eight...esp glass surface!
mine only using 1 table lamp...

using sunlight as source of light also nice unless it is foggy or hazy day

hello mr. KT...
the setting is not mine... it just example i got from the internet... maybe i do a simple one soon if got time & space at home... Smile

UK... hazy all the time... Sad

i flash my object with white led light + lampu syiling rumah.. a4 paper background.. p&s only also la..

huh... bro..

i just use Olympus 5 mega pixel camera..

first set the pic setting to the highest..

second put the car from camera around 5-6 inch, dont hold the camera otherwise will "gegar"..attach it to tripod or put it on a lelvel place, if ur camera has portrait mode. select em. auto mode not much of help.

3rd take more than 1 snap.. u have to sabar alot since using digicam except for SLR.. lalala (when will i get my SLR)

4th... use photoshop huhuhu (ur the master in this)

5th use ur creativity

just 2cent

i using Canon cyber shot A80 4 Mega pixel... but for truth wat sinclair said, we need a right equipment...

setting a box for photo shooting and some lighting can be more PRO, but more space u need... i had saw some member using table lamp as a lighting, but u have to filter the light for not over contrast... let me show my so called STUDIO Laughing .. only need a tripod and 2 mounting board...

yerp... to be more pro.. more equipment

My equipment...

A Tripod

Mounting Board

and a small studio

i using Room lighting, as we know, the lighting is not enough to show the contrast of the car.... (is better to shoot on daylight) so i using photoshop to touch-up and enhance...

here the tutorial Very Happy hope can help u guys

Step 1, as u can see, the original photo is just too dark ....use the curve tool (CTRL-M), pick the red circle icon, and select the background. Curve tools is easy to use on White/Plain background. Remember not over exposure on the car whn u using the CURVE tools, as the background can touch up afterward.

Whala ..

and clear the background line, make it clean by using Paint tools...

There u go

this is how i took the photo...

u will need to use a bigger mounting board (to cover background) if u want to shoot lots of cars in one time

guys... more simple yet practical for those who don't know how to use photoshops..

put tape ur on top n bottom of ur paper. top paper stick to the wall n the tape the on the table top.

ensure it's on a table put next to the wall

u will have an infinity curve, mostly photography studio does.

look at my example

have fun trying!

dreamer_adrian wrote:
One more thing, remember to use MARCO, and dont use Flash light, or the picture will be over exposure... Very Happy

yerp... i agree with it..

Here r my tips:-

1. Use Macro/Super Macro (most p/s cameras nowadays hv this function) if possible so can capture all the tiny details..

2. Can use flash but need something to diffuse the light.. for hot-shoe flash can use a diffuser.. for built-in flash, can use 3M translucent tape..jus tape it on the flash itself. The tape is available at most stationary shop for less then RM10.

3. Use tripod, but remember to switch off the image stabilization/VR feature.

4. Use the widest focal point (f-stop) ur camera can offer.. this creates deeper depth-of-field effect (subject stay sharp but bg is blurred).

Notes:
1. smallest f-stop is the widest focal point.
2. smallest f-stop giv deep DOF, highest f-stop giv shallow DOF.
3. Wide-angle lense 28mm and lower, giv great shallow DOF (subject & bg stay sharp)

Have fun shooting ur photos! Very Happy

If your camera had the EV option, try to increase the value, you will see some different at the background exposure. This is what i found out when i do my car shooting. Like the the yellow civic, the backgorund look dark and no even, and if u use flash with no look nice, so the EV is useful in this shooting. Try and see with the EV feature, it will change the photo outcome.

A good photo, you need good controlling lighting!
Some people add additional lamp like External Flash or table lamp, some using reflex light on object.

For sure, DSLR can get a better photo quality especially in low light condition!

wah u guys very pro la...
can i ask wat is DSLR i'm a bit dummy in photograph
currently using a canon ixus 6Megapixels

Some more tips :

1. If you want super sharp shots, use a tripod and the timer instead. Sometimes when we press the shutter, there is still some shake. Also make sure the table/stand your subject is on is not shaking.

2. This is for more pro people. Calibrate your monitor! Sometimes we adjust until the photo looks good on our monitor, but it can look 'washed-out' for others on their monitor. I don't bother to do this coz I like my pictures bright! Calibrating makes my screen look dull, but you get more accurate colors if you want to print those photos.

This is one of my favourite shots.

Yup, use timer or cable release/IR remote when shooting in macro mode.

Calibrate ur monitor when u r doing post-editing. Just to make sure
the color accuracy for printing. To me, every1 shld calibrate their monitor at least once - so u know ur monitor is displaying the correct colors & tones.

@jun08 - DLSR is Digital SLR.

aphong2681 wrote:

why must switch off the VR/IS?

aphong2681 wrote:

4. Use the widest focal point (f-stop) ur camera can offer.. this creates deeper depth-of-field effect (subject stay sharp but bg is blurred).

if you set it too wide you can't even see the tail of the car (depending where you are focusing). Razz

kukubeh wrote:
aphong2681 wrote:

why must switch off the VR/IS?

It's b'cos how the IS/VR works Idea .. it's move the optical elements (at high frequency) in ur camera to compensate hand shake.
So when the camera is mounted on a tripod, u dun need IS/VR to be switched on d. Doing so will only defect the IS/VR purpose.

kukubeh wrote:
aphong2681 wrote:

if you set it too wide you can't even see the tail of the car (depending where you are focusing). Razz

Yes agreed, this is only for creativity purposes only.. especially when u wanna focus on certain part of ur car..like the logo or the headlamp, etc..

Wow, aphong2681...you sound like a pro-dslr lol! . i though DOF is apply to outdoor scene only, something new technic to me on indoor car photo shooting.

By the way, should us zoom in abit the lens, as pincushion distortion will be appear, that make the car no look straight while it should be straight? scratch

Phoenix wrote:
Wow, aphong2681...you sound like a pro-dslr lol! . i though DOF is apply to outdoor scene only, something new technic to me on indoor car photo shooting.

By the way, should us zoom in abit the lens, as pincushion distortion will be appear, that make the car no look straight while it should be straight? scratch

No pro lar bro..jus another hobby of mine.. u can apply DOF indoor s well le..
For scenary photo, i still prefer shallow DOF..

I think for shooting scale-model car, distortion shld not b an issue unless u r using super wide/ultra wide angle lens..
distortion will become more visible when using wider angle

here's some sample i shoot quite some time back..lately no time to snap..bz hunting huhuhu..

Spoiler:

wow... so many thing i didnt know... thanks you very much everybody for sharing... keep those tips coming... we all learn from each other...

here is i tryout what i have learn from u guys...

this just testing workspace... will do a better one soon... Smile

dreamer_adrian: the photoshop tips really helps...

1 more question: What angle to put the car? how all the shots the angle of the cars is like always the same...? how you guys put it... always like 45 degree angle... got any lines or marking to put the cars at the same angle always...

8man ...pay the royalties dude.................... huhuhu

@mr.8 - try to experiment with diff. angles.. eye level is always d best like mr.yu5h, mr.coolman & mr.kurz avatar..

@jun08 - np bro

@Mr 8 = a bit over exposure

My shot on EVOX

aphong2681 wrote:

here's some sample i shoot quite some time back..lately no time to snap..bz hunting huhuhu..

Spoiler:

what camera and lens you are using bro?

kukubeh wrote:
aphong2681 wrote:

Spoiler:

what camera and lens you are using bro?

This one was shot with Olympus SP550UZ. My E-410 is for my outdoor photoshoot hehehe

Here's what I do (learnt from other gurus from other forums)....

1) Buy a white Bucket (those use to fill paint)

2) Cut a 'Bat-cave' big enough on the side of the bucket Smile so you can view thru, or stick your lens right in, all the above! lol...just don't go cut-out a HUGE hole...LOL hahaha

3) Inside of bucket is already white that saves you the trouble, and saves tree too...no more A4 paper, newspaper etc....save Mother Earth! Very Happy hehehehe

4) On the top, cut a hole on the buckets lid/cover, big enuff to fit a bulb, secure with your own know-hows...i just simply let the end of bulb be connected to the wiring, so it's still hanging free and easy, so just use a masking tape to tape down the wiring above when you're preparing your 'photo' booth.

5) This way, when lights (make sure buy the tungsten ones so it'll be white) are on, it'll reflect off the white wall, while only leaving a small spot of 'glare' on the car's roof, due to the exposure from within the bucket, lights are even all around.

6) Once you done just make sure you keep it properly, don't let your Momma find it and shout back at cha, "Who CUT a D@#N hole in my buckets??!!!" hahahahaha lol!

Now as for the camera functions, most guys hav shared a lot of their 'pro' tips on using a Camera &/or DSLR hehehe canggih nya Razz.....
1) Always use the MACRO mode!!

2) Daylight is the BEST lighting!! Don't argue Wink hehe

3) Do the necessary settings before shooting!

4) Pick a good spot, anywhere - in the home, outdoor wherever as long there's light encompassing at least an area of 5 x 5 ft of well lit area.

5) As how some guys get their shoots of cars ALWAYS at same angle and etc....well if we put a little more tot into it, I'm sure lots of you guys figured doing markings, or using a 'tool' (can be anything) to help you gauge your angle or whichever.

For example try this - mark down with an 'L' shape 'tool' (can be anything, recycle from home, tape or whatever you can find - but remember you're gonna use this till you find a more suitable 'tool') on the BEHIND of the rear wheels, and the wheel right in front (depends which side - left or right)...you know the rest Smile

One more thing, very important one..check ur camera white balance setting s well..u dun wan ur photo to be too warm or too cold right?

@Mr.Rayz - i like ur whitebucket cum mini photobooth idea! keep the lid on and u can store all the stuff there s well:lol!:

kuih_tiow wrote:
Last time using DA technique.....

forgot to reduce the brightness

Nice, but is too contrast, maybe u can try to pick the lighter color on the background..

mr: dreamer_adrian... just wondering how u keep taking all the car at the same angle... any tips want to share...

^ i assume DA mini studio table at the same level and also using tripod at the same height...i guess...

maybe also he mark the location of car to put at..

mark the spot... yeah... but how to mark without the the mark showing in the photograph...? maybe very very very small marking... Razz

eight wrote:
mr: dreamer_adrian... just wondering how u keep taking all the car at the same angle... any tips want to share...

kuih_tiow wrote:
^ i assume DA mini studio table at the same level
and also using tripod at the same height...i guess...

cawan wrote:
maybe also he mark the location of car to put at..

eight wrote:
mark the spot... yeah... but how to mark without the the
mark showing in the photograph...? maybe very very very small
marking... Razz

Nope, i didnt make any marking to pose the car.... Cool , but tripod is at the same height is most of the shooting... about the angle, i use the stupid way withouth marking... after u shot the car, replace the 2nd one at the same angle above the 1st car, and take out the 1st car (maybe i will take tutorial photo of this)...., i always shot lots of car in one time, so can make sure those car look in same angle...

if i take photo in 2 different days, the angle will move a bit...

if want to mark the spot, maybe mark it under the wheels with tiny black mark... not easy to find out the mark