Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorrr

Dark Water

Dark Water

A bit of a story behind this one.
By winning 1st place in a couple of monthly custom competitions on another site, I qualified to enter the final comp for 2010,when it started I spent a bit of time brainstorming and sketching my ideas for an entry and eventually decided on a set, and I started cutting up a couple of castings. Everyday life was busy, and then we also had to get everything ready for the holiday we started mid November, so spare time was short.....and then I was told that I was to join another guy from my work at a conference in Vegas, so there went another 2 weeks of building time.
Only one thing to do...... toss everyhing done so far into a box and put it aside for another day and find something I would have time to finish.... so it had to be as "mild" as possible.
When I found my first 2010 H2Go everything fell into place...... a race boat team set! The H2GO on a scratchbuilt trailer towed by a 77 Dodge van.

Since the set had to do with water and I have always found the refractive patterns made by waves beautiful, that was how I decided to paint the set.... blue candy with silver highlights fading to deep, dark water..... which is also the name of this set... "Dark Water".

All 3 parts of the set were airbrushed blue candy over a silver base, airbrushed silver refraction pattern using a homemade stencil cut from acetate, with the front of the van and back of boat and trailer faded to black, and everyhing clearcoated with 2 part automotive clear.

77 Dodge Van:
A couple of reasons I why chose this as the tow vehicle... I like this casting, the scale fits the H2Go better than a car or wagon and the interior looks great when detailed and is easily visible. Apart from the trailer hitch it is a mild build - detailed interior, tail lights are red candy over foil and the grill is black washed and a wheelswap from Maisto.

H2Go:
Always liked the H2Go ever since I found a couple of the First Editions, but couldn't make myself strip them, so I'm happy it's out as a plain old mainline now. Like the van, apart from the drilled out exhaust pipes, it's a mild build - painted the instruments black and used foil on the bar over the glass.

Trailer:
Scratch built. Has to do a bit of research on this one, as I had absolutely no idea what a trailer for a cat powerboat looked like. I didn't want to spend the coin on the (as always in Australia) ridiculously overpriced hobby shop brass and aluminium, so I used florists wire instead (cheap, bendable, and with a little bit of work it polishes up ok too) ,paper staples to hold up the centre rails, and the plastic tube from a cotton bud for the axle tubes and a set of Maisto wheels.

Unfortunately it will not be entered in the competition it was built for, as it turned out that the DCS KustomKon 2010 conference/convention was on the weekend before my work convention starting on the Monday, so I saw what will probably be my only opportunity to ever attend a HW or DCS convention, and decided to bring whatever I could to enter in the KustomKon custom competition..... and that included this set... in the end I am glad that I did, as it won 1st Amateur Sets, but this also means that I can no longer enter it in the final on the other site because it has been seen elsewhere.

Thanks for looking.

Your cars seems to be made of water!
and congrats on winning first prize cheers

RGSUKAN wrote:
-------------------------FAINT--------------------------

samelah kite bang

Beautiful dude!

Really admire your ideas and skill, and congrats on getting 1st again!

reading the title reminds me of dark water movie... aha... anyway, cool one bro... congratz on winning the 1st place... hehe..

fuh.....you really deserve top spot.......superbly done.....

stunning! that's all i say and great built up custom too.
congrats on the result.

btw, thanks for the wheels and parts.Razz
appreciates your gift, a lot of awesome custom parts for me to work with it later. cheers

wow... love the paint job mr. thorr... u have out done your self again... Smile

Thank you all for the fantastic replies, appreciate them all