In the same damn place with a different year

Time marches on, right or wrong
Never waits for no one, no
Can’t turn it off, we’ll make it through
`Cause time marches on without you
Time marches on without you, oh
Time marches on, oh
Time marches on without you"

Song from the album premiered on the Concert for Hope! Thud!
Thanks to 1lynnelynne

Guest Guest

^^^ It would be great if someone took a shot at the lyrcis Pretty please!!!

This is from Julie/@hopethisisme (Cookistas)

"Time Marches On"
David Cook / Marti Frederiksen

I never thought I’d see myself down here
I bet the lines on my face never looked so clear
I swear
You were six feet in on a one way street
When you gave me the love with my heart on your sleeve
In a world full of pearls and an endless sea
You were all that I needed, all I needed
Time marches on
(Love alone )
Never waits for no one no new
As time marches on without you

If you knew then what you know right now
Would you’ve packed your bags and left this town
Cause im still here with my heart on the ground
You were the last thing I needed
All I needed

Time marches on
(Love alone )
Never waits for no one no new
I never thought I’d see myself down here
Time marches on
(Love alone )
Never waits for no one, no

Guest Guest

Thanks Nicko! Awww Love

Made wrote:
Thanks Nicko! Awww Love

Thank You! Nicko !!! You Rock! This song is SUPERB !! OMG!!! I can't stop listen... the intensity of David's voice... he seems to sing with his soul... full of pain.... Crying

I have two "corrections" at the lyrics (3 friends agree with me...)
At these verses...

Time marches on
Right or Wrong (instead of LOVE ALONE):
Never waits for no one new (instead of NO)

We saw the video about 10 times and his mouth movements show he singing these words.

Guest Guest

lol, I had already figured the "new" and added it . I'll add the "right or wrong". Thanks, Chris!

ETA: Don't know about the "right or wrong". Seems it's different from verse to verse scratch

I said it in another thread, but I love this song. It really gets to me for some reason. The music and lyrics are just beautiful and emotionally honest. Heart

This is my favorite part:

"I never thought I’d see myself down here
I bet the lines on my face never looked so clear
I swear you were six feet in on a one way street"

I'm not sure exactly. I wonder if the person is going the wrong way on a one way street? Because that could have a different meaning, as if they were too far in to turn back (like being in a relationship that's going bad, yet you can't seem to get out). That probably makes no sense so I'll wait until someone else comes up with something, lol.

Lol. I think along that line of thought too, she walked six feet, realizing it's the wrong way but could not make a turn.

I like this song a lot. It reminds me Chris Cornell for some reason..

Guest Guest

Don't know for sure, but there could be a connection with "6 feet under" as in dead and buried. That is, the girl (supposing it's a love song) was kind in a very bad situation/moment in her life. They fell in love and "[she] gave me the love with my heart on your sleeve ... You were all that I needed"

The next chorus might mean she reverted to that situation, she left and that's why he had to move on: "As time marches on ... You were the last thing I needed"

Does this make any sense? scratch

those lyrics, those words are so.... emotional, deep and painful that it brings a tear to my eye.

ETA:

Also, I would like to put in that "As Time Marches On Without You" reminds me alot of him losing someone close to him and even though they are gone time/life will go on.

Made wrote:
Don't know for sure, but there could be a connection with "6 feet under" as in dead and buried

Yeah, that explanation makes a lot of sense! I love having new songs/lyrics to discuss. Great

Also, I would like to put in that "As Time Marches On Without You" reminds me alot of him losing someone close to him and even though they are gone time/life will go on.

That was the first thing I thought when I heard the song, China!

And Made, I also made the connection between "six feet in" and "six feet under". Don't know if that means anything, LOL, but my mind went there too.

I LOVE the eerie ending. I may have teared up slightly during this one on Friday night. I know for a fact that Chele and I looked at each other and said, "Oh my GOD. Shocked" when it was over. Talk about an emotional punch....

Guest Guest

I think this one and REM are the ones I'm loving the most from the mid-tempo songs. Paper Heart is my fav so far as the up-tempo ones. Imagine all of these with full instrumentation and studio mastering ShockedThud!

All in all, IMO this will be a killer album!

*crosses finger for David*

That was the first thing I thought when I heard the song, China!

And Made, I also made the connection between "six feet in" and "six feet under". Don't know if that means anything, LOL, but my mind went there too.

Same here, this song makes me think of lose.

"I never thought I’d see myself down here
In the same damn place with a different year"

The first thing that I thougt of when I heard these two lines where all the years Adam struggled with Cancer. It's like he saying it's been another year and we are still here, at the same place, still fighting this damn Cancer.

"I bet the lines on my face never looked so clear"

Maybe the wrinkles that comes from being worried and crying all the time, I've done it so much lately that you can see it on my face more then ever before.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but this is what I get from this song. I have to go now but I'll think of the rest of the song latter.

Made wrote:
Imagine all of these with full instrumentation and studio mastering ShockedThud!
All in all, IMO this will be a killer album!
*crosses finger for David*

I was thinking the same !! I lost the account how many times I listened this song and each time it made even more emotional ! Those parts in minor key...kills me !!
I set it to wake up me today (don't know if hubby like or not... LOL flag )

(I saw the video tons of times... and I have no doubt he sings "Time marches on Right or Wrong" )

Guest Guest
Made, I agree with Chris... it's "Right or Wrong," That's what I heard in the theater that night, and was running through my mind after, and listening to the mp3s, I'm fairly confident that is what it is. (It also makes sense "Time marches on, right or wrong never waits for no one new" It doesn't matter whether what happens is right or wrong, you can't stop time.)

The haunting ending to this just gets to me so much.

^^That's exactly the right word, Stacy: haunting. After just one listen, I couldn't shake this song. Absolutely beautiful. But you know I'm a sucker for that falsetto of his.....

OH. If we're gonna think it's about Adam, it fits too. But then these lines...

Quote :

make me cry for I can see how Adam loved him and how David needed him bad as a role model the way he keeps saying everytime Very Sad

Guest Guest
^^That's exactly the right word, Stacy: haunting. After just one listen, I couldn't shake this song. Absolutely beautiful. But you know I'm a sucker for that falsetto of his.....

Ditto... that falsetto just get me every time! And he was in such great voice throughout the concert I'm Not Worthy!

I can't get this song out of my head. It's haunting me.

Same here. I love the way it's just his voice in the beginning before the music comes in, and then the "ooh ooh ooh's" at the end. So beautiful. Imagine what the acoustic version will sound like. Shocked

Haunting is the perfect word !! Clapping
And his falsetto singing.... "...All I needed" Holy Sheep!Melt

And the chorus... his voice is full of pain... almost despair... when he sings....

(*turning on my Iphone to see the video for the thousandth time*)

OH. If we're gonna think it's about Adam, it fits too. But then these lines...

Quote :

make me cry for I can see how Adam loved him and how David needed him bad as a role model the way he keeps saying everytime Very Sad
See, but we could be wrong the only person that knows exactly is him. But if he doesn't say we might never know..

Guest Guest

I'm totally obsessed with this song! Awww Love

Music Makes me HAPPY

Pssst Grammy people!

"Haunted" is exactly the word I've been looking for all day. I can't get those "ooo-OO-ooo"s out of my head.

Guys....imagine this acoustic. Shocked

Jamie, look at my post up above. LMAO. Even used the same smiley. We share a brain sometimes. Razz

Guest Guest

I've just watched the video again and the ooooh ooohs are Andy and Neal Awww Love

I KNEW the ooohs from TLG where them too!

I caught myself mumbling this song FOR THE ENTIRE DAY TODAY.

It's totally haunting me.

Made wrote:
I've just watched the video again and the ooooh ooohs are Andy and Neal Awww Love

I KNEW the ooohs from TLG where them too!

WHOOO! THEY SOUND LIKE GIRLS! And that's not a bad thing...

Guest Guest

Not bad at all, China! We know what an amazing voices Andy, Neal and Kyle have Awww Love

Mae, totally "haunting" as Stacy described it and so relatable with, what I think, everyone experienced at one time or another. Tough things happen in your life and you have to realize, at some point, that "Time Marches On", that you have to deal with that, process it and move on. This is a "healing" song that will help us "march on" on so many things...

Thanks David... once again Heart

Made wrote:
Not bad at all, China! We know what an amazing voices Andy, Neal and Kyle have Awww Love

Mae, totally "haunting" as Stacy described it and so relatable with, what I think, everyone experienced at one time or another. Tough things happen in your life and you have to realize, at some point, that "Time Marches On", that you have to deal with that, process it and move on. This is a "healing" song that will help us "march on" on so many things...

I agree with this, and as I was listening to the words my heart started to hurt. It's such a masterpiece and will always be some what of a "healing" song for everyone.

Made wrote:

I think what's "hauting" me the most about this song is that it's May, and every single year May is the hardest month for my family... 6 years ago we lost 2 loved people, and, well, time marches on without them...

Damn, David, you keep doing that to me LOL

Damn. I have "you were all that I needed, all I needed" in my ears since last night!

Made wrote:

I think what's "hauting" me the most about this song is that it's May, and every single year May is the hardest month for my family... 6 years ago we lost 2 loved people, and, well, time marches on without them...

Damn, David, you keep doing that to me LOL
I can relate as my family and myself lost someone last September. And even though we miss him time must march on without the ones you hold dear.

I need you help... Group Hug1
As to many of you, this song has been haunting me since last Friday. (you can see by my avi.... )
I lost the account how many times I watched the videos and listened the song...
It's the last song I listen before sleep and the one I wake up with (my hubby patience will end soon LOL Face )

And I'm stucked at a huge doubt about the lyrics...
At this point...first I was listening...
"..You were the last thing I needed
All I needed..
"

But suddenly the verse seems more like this to me ...

"...You were the last thing I needed
All I'm needing..."

Can someone listen and check if I'm right or not ?

Thank You!

Guest Guest

Chris I think it says:

"...You were the last thing I needed
All I've needed..."

I doesn't really change the sense of the phrase those Smile

Guest Guest
I'll have to listen when I get home, as I forgot to bring my ipod to work today. *GASPS*

I'm sure it's not "All I've needing" though Made. Because that would be really bad grammar, and I doubt our word nerd would go there. I've is a contraction for "I have" and you wouldn't say "I have needing."

So it has to be either "All I needed," "All I've needed," or "All I'm needing."

I wish Ed would get all those lyrics up for us soon.

Guest Guest
Oops, sorry, I meant to say "All I've needed"

I wish we get the lyrics soon too, Jeannie.

Guest Guest
I CAN'T stop listening to this song!!! The last "As time marches on, I know" with the ooohs behind is killing me. The anguish in David's voice is piercing...