Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravelrash

Do you wear glasses?

I'm going for an eye test on Tuesday and i'm at that age when things start to fail Rolling Eyes Just wondering if anyone here wears glasses and are they a pain to wear under a helmet? (uncomfortable/mist up) scratch
Although i'm hoping i'm told "no problem eyes of a hawk" I know thats not the case, if i need them its just something i'll have to get used to I suppose Sad

I wear them but its only for reading,watching tele ect ect dont need them on the bike

sure you will get use to them if needed,and if ya do I would say take your helmet in with you when trying glasses on thumbs

got mine last year but only for reading m8 so cant help with the helmet query,but i know most lids have channels so you can wear glasses with them what i do know is wearing them at first is dead weird but you do get used to them thumbs

just for reading as of now but im sure that will change with age as for under the lid have you not had sunglass on before its the same .so will missed up from time to time ,

Thanks for the replies thumbs
I'm hoping if i do need them then its only for reading.
Stan - still got a flip up in the loft but was very noisy but may be worth having another look thumbs
lee - good idea to take my helmet with me, will do, thanks! thumbs
Dick/Dave i'm hoping i'm the same! I remember that post Dave, it was interesting re-reading it though thumbs
Madsod - Got a tinted visor (but carry a clear)as i couldn't get used to sunglasses (felt like i was moonwalking, perspective all wrong) but I might just have to put up with it Smile

I wear then under the lid. Only real pain is getting them on after the balaclava is on. Best off getting the thinnist frames as possible. Or have lazer surgery thumbs

I wear them all the time and have never had a problem with them under my lid.
you'll soon get used to it. thumbs

did your parents not warn you lot that knocking one out too often makes you blind.

@jezza wrote:
did your parents not warn you lot that knocking one out too often makes you blind.
yes and it takes affect in your late 30's early 40's LaughingLaughingLaughing

@lee wrote:
@jezza wrote:
yes and it takes affect in your late 30's early 40's LaughingLaughingLaughing

who said that? come on own up.

I'm the same, got to 40 and the eyesight started to plummit, only need them for reading, which is sometimes worse that having to wear them all the time, can't wear them to ride the bike coz i cant see past 3 foot away with them on, but need them to see satnav, maps etc, pain in the butt!

ITCHY wrote:
I'm the same, got to 40 and the eyesight started to plummit, only need them for reading, which is sometimes worse that having to wear them all the time, can't wear them to ride the bike coz i cant see past 3 foot away with them on, but need them to see satnav, maps etc, pain in the butt!
thats how I am Rich , have to carry them every where with me now thumb down

I wear them with a full face helmet without any problems but have to push them past the lining gently, chose carefully some arms will dig in to you head rather than slide, I have a pair of skull grip straight arm ones that will not go under the helmet, but ordinary ones with thin arms are fine, best to chose metal arms rather than plastic.
Keith

I wear them when watching the telly and am borderline as to wearing them driving/riding but my bike vibrates that much it wouldn't make any difference if I did wear them

@jezza wrote:

agree with ya i dont need glasses thumbs ,

i hope your eye test goe well thumbs

I wear glasses for riding / driving--- I find keeping my glasses warm,(cold days) --kit up-- helmet on -- then last thing, slide glasses through gently; keep visor up for the 1st couple hundred meters,and close visor after the temperature stabilises in the helmet; Keeping the helmet ventilated is the only way to stop misting.. it's difficult to explain,but you do get used to coping with them----- By the way, I use Reactolite lenses, you wont need to worry about sun-glasses then Cool

Another plus---- You can ride at a fair ol' lick, on a nice day, with the visor up,cos your glasses will prevent you losing an eye to a bug, or fly----
See ??? there is always an up-side if you look for it.. thumbs

no choice for me worn glasses since i was 4.

I have no probs with full face or flip.

my advice for what its worth if you can afford it get a second pair just for riding with.(avoids twisting or spraining your main pair )
mine have spring hinges on the arms to stop them spraining and a slght tint for the glare.

becuse i only wear this pair on the bike i give them a spray and clean with Bob Heath and dont have misting probs but always at traffic lights and junctions pop open the visor slightly to stop steaming up.

Glasses for riding here too, no probs, u get use to it, I do find the bloody newspaper seems to be gettin further away now when I'm reading, it will be bi- focals for me soon.... Sad

@jezza wrote:

agree with ya i dont need glasses thumbs ,

i hope your eye test goe well thumbs

Wife as just told me I need glasses lol! because I have just fell down the stairs fofl

@Grumpyowl wrote:
no choice for me worn glasses since i was 4.

I have no probs with full face or flip.

my advice for what its worth if you can afford it get a second pair just for riding with.(avoids twisting or spraining your main pair )
mine have spring hinges on the arms to stop them spraining and a slght tint for the glare.

becuse i only wear this pair on the bike i give them a spray and clean with Bob Heath and dont have misting probs but always at traffic lights and junctions pop open the visor slightly to stop steaming up.

Same here worn specs all my biking life 50+ years. Had no problem you get used to it but the advice above is sound

somebody said they used reactalite lenses and they did not have to bother with sun glasses? well that is odd because so do I and they do not change behind the visor as it blocks out uv, so I use a helmet with a sun visor built in.
Keith

Got glasses for riding as well. And they do mist up. The old "visor slightly open" does work and when the temperature equlises they are fine. Again, open the visor at lights and junctions etc. I've recently started on contact lenses for the bike to get away from the chew of having to put glasses on etc.

If you have to have glasses for the bike, get your prescription and try "Glasses direct" http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/gender/male/. You will have to put your prescription in, but you can get a cheap pair of glasses for the bike. I picked up two pair for about £45 about 18 months ago. Check what you get as you hav to add "anti-scratch coatings etc". Might be easier than risking your new ones. thumbs

Wow! Mr Magoo eat your heart out! there's a lot more people wear glasses than I thought Shocked thanks for the response everyone! thumbs At least i'm a bit more prepared in what to ask if I need them. thumbsthumbs

Just to conclude i'm a little short sight but " within perameters" so got a prescription but told if i dont think i need them i don't have to get them, relieved! but I know in my own mind it won't be long before that changes.
Thanks for all the replies thumbsthumbs

I have since i was 13.Just put the lid on a guide them into place thumbs

Just to conclude i'm a little short sight but " within perameters" so got a prescription but told if i dont think i need them i don't have to get them, relieved! but I know in my own mind it won't be long before that changes.
I lasted out till i was 45 , went to my local garage for some gasket sealant, there was 3 different tubes and i couldn't read what the difference was, thats when i knew i had to do something Very Happy

@Davehutch wrote:
I lasted out till i was 45 , went to my local garage for some gasket sealant, there was 3 different tubes and i couldn't read what the difference was, thats when i knew i had to do something Very Happy

Optician said 45 was the usual age when eyes start to deteriorate Dave, that gives me another year Rolling Eyes

This pic was taken at a mates 30th bash dress code geeks and nerds...only we were wearing our own glasses unlike me mate Lee who wore these bad boys thumbs

I wear them with my flip lid too. be sure to take your lid with you when you chose your glasses as some of the designs might be too wide for a comfy fit. my old ones broke in the middle after a short time for just that reason.

what about contact lenses has anyone tried them ???

Got them about year ago. They work well, just need to get used to wearing them. Keep an eye open (no pun intended) at Boots Opticians, they sometimes run a "free trial" for them so you can try them for free. For me they're fine but I know some people can't get used to them. If you're not sure I'd recommend enquiring and see what you think. thumbs

Looking good mr and mrs stue thumbs

I got laser eye surger thumbs y done about 9yrs ago and its brilliant.

Would advise anyone to get it done Cool