Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stue11

Something for you all to discuss...

My B12 is the longest ive kept a motorbike for and i feel i need a change... i love the old girl but next year think she will go for a newer model of some sort...now ive owned and ridden a number of sports bikes over the years and as much fun as they are i cant ride for more than 5 mile without hurting me body..Now bare with me on this one...im a fool for a race rep paint jobs and obviously Suzuki's are me fav jap..

Please feel free to put your ideas forward on this matter of mine and ile let this thread run untill i decide to sell and buy another...im even considering not riding at all next year and save that much more for a new one...decisions decisions hey... thumbsthumbs

Shocked depends what sort of riding your doing m8 if you do more with the missus on the back id suggest a sports/ tourer scratch i can name a few nice yams for you Laughingthumbs

@dick65 wrote:
Shocked depends what sort of riding your doing m8 if you do more with the missus on the back id suggest a sports/ tourer scratch i can name a few nice yams for you Laughingthumbs
Im all ears thumbs and yea sports tourers thumbs

@dick65 wrote:

agree But then the Kwaks are a solid bike thumbsLaughingLaughingthumbs

I was looking at the usual Blackbird or Busa. Then cast an eye over a ZZR11 or 12. Again depends whether it's naked bike or not?

I feel confident that suggestions and no doubt pictures will follow thumbs If inspiration strikes will let you know thumbs

It's a minefield. You need to narrow it down some by either faired, naked, under/over 1000cc, 4cyl' or twin or more importantly ease of carrying luggage Laughing

as the wife goes on the back Stu 2 comes to mind the suzuki gsxr 1300

or this tool will do it all , and a lot more

@madsod wrote:

Do like that I love youI love youthumbs

@madsod wrote:

Do like that I love youI love youthumbs
agree

I would say go to a big dealership thats got a few differant bikes you fancy and test ride them.If they wont let you take them out then take your money somewhere that will.Its all well and good taking other peoples reccomendations but its you thats got to live with it.Ive had bikes that other people have raved about and I just didnt get on with them,and Ive loved bikes that others have hated and unless you ride them yourself you might end up making an expensive mistake.

Zx9r is bit sporty but I've found it comfort than my naked sv and bandit as bars are nice position etc.

Or newer sports touring. Z1000sx? Faired, comfy etc. Honda vfr they do the 800 and a 1200?

Or there's the visa zxr ans blackbirds etc.

Is say go test ride a few Wink

Don't know what sort of budget you're on Stue but ZZRs can be picked up cheap enough, apart from 1400s of course. Super all rounders, comfort and power to spare. That said, I love my little VFR which I went to Spain on. And they sound a treat when you wind them up a bit thumbs

If you fancy a very comfy, left of centre sports tourer, look around for an Aprilia Futura. A V twin motor has to be right dunnit? Very Happy

How about a triumph speed triple m8.

I'm also bored of my bike stue been thinking for a while now about changing to something newer.

Sounds like there could be a few changes with peoples rides next year? scratch As with everything peoples, keep us posted thumbs

it was a toss up between the busa and zzr1400 when i was searching , very close to getting the zzr ( 08 plate -20,000miles) however for the money the bike i looked at from the main dealership was not in as good nick and had higher mileage than busa (08 plate - 4800 miles) .

maybe next time.

Much as I love my B-King, and don't intend to ever part with it, my Suzuki loyalty does not cloud my opinion that the ZZR1400 is better all round, IMHO, than the Busa - yes I have ridden both. I don't think though that even those motherships are very good for pillions, which seems to be one of your criteria......why not try a beemer?????

Old and Disgraceful racer2

1 - lots of cash:
ZZR1400 - the 11s are pricey for a fossil and the 12s are pig ugly. Maybe a large Beemer if you like buying the aspiration.

2 - medium cash: Triumph Sprint ST 1050 - lovely. Suzuki V-strom if you don't mind dull, or a Blackbird if that sort of stigma appeals Very Happy .

3 - low cash (but may be a money pit) How about an old Pan Euro 11? VFR or a late model Thunderace.

But you absolutely must have a decent ride on them Stu, because just because it seems overly sporty does not necessarily relate to comfort - one of my old bosses bought a blackbird because he was 6'3 and said it was the most uncomfortable bike he had ridden and swapped it for a (comfy to him) R6. The ex wife had a dodgy back, couldn't cope well with commuter style bikes (ER5, GS5, RF6, ZZR6) so went for a cruiser, which was fine for about 20 minutes but then left her in agony. Turned out she was fine all day on my TZR, which had the raciest position of them all.

Think a few test rides will help you out more stue

I like the vfr but its not everyones cuppa,each to there own good luck with it thumbs

I know i wasn't much help stue , but cant agree more with whats been said "test ride " i spent 2 years test riding before i found what i wanted , thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
I know i wasn't much help stue , but cant agree more with whats been said "test ride " i spent 2 years test riding before i found what i wanted , thumbs

im too young to test ride so i have to take a chance. but loved my sv, and im glad i got the ninja. thumbs

glad i rode a bandit 1200 before thou, as didnt get on with that Cool

ZZR V Busa ?

ZZR if your going to turn the key and ride it.
Happy with what you have and leave it stock.

Busa if you want to hot it up. Looks or performance.
13 years of R&D. HUGE aftermarket following.
Everything from luggage, bodywork, streetfighter bits,
Turbo's, Nitrous, swingarms wheels to billet blocks and long throw cranks.

The Busa is a cult bike and the one to have for
the drags, dyno shootouts, landspeed racing and
the motor is the lump of choice for micro-racecars, hill climbers etc.

The ZZR may be a better bike out of the box, I agree.
The Busa is a legend for what it did in 1999.
No one rembers who came along "a little bit better".

Maybe your not a dragracer, but it still show's
what a tough old motor they have....

Thanks everyone for your replies i really do appreciate everyones input time and effort giving advise, i will def be test riding a few next year, infact might just spend next year test riding Laughing but one things for sure i will enjoy looking and testing thumbsthumbs

Something "left field" to consider Stu. If you are broad minded enough to consider a cruiser, I had a Kawasaki VN2000 for four years. The most comfortable bike I've experienced in 41 years of biking and it has plenty of torque to keep you excited. It was the only bike my wife could pillion with a broken back. Seriously, if you can find one, give it a go thumbs

Old and Disgraceful racer2

Around here I think it's law that if you buy a cruiser
you have to ware an open face, 200 badges and
lace up leather jeans. All cruiser riders MUST by law,
dress up like big stupid gay pirates !

Around here I think it's law that if you buy a cruiser
you have to ware an open face, 200 badges and
lace up leather jeans. All cruiser riders MUST by law,
dress up like big stupid gay pirates !
That explains why Dave like's em LaughingLaughinghide

sorry thread hijackedbananabanana

Hi Stu 11,
My wife and I have been riding sports tourers for a few years now, the sports bikes give me too many aches and pains these days,
I have a Yamaha XJR 1300 naked which we use in the summer but it is for sale at the moment as we hardly use it,
the best overall bike I have ever had and currently ride now is the Pan European it is comfortable for both rider and pillion we are well protected from the weather and they are quick enough with good storage and MPG and very planted on the road, but are a shade heavy but not once you are moving, it is a very competent machine, might be worth a test ride just to give you a balanced oppion.
Keith

Here's 1 for you and it's nearly the right colour. Plenty of room on the back for the mrs and some luggage. Laughing

Stue,
There are 4 basic groups that all motorcycles fall into.

1: AIRCOOLED chaindrive 4 cylinder Suzuki's over 1000cc... thumbs

2: OILCOOLED chaindrive 4 cylinder Suzuki's over 1000cc... thumbs

3: WATERCOOLED chaindrive 4 cylinder Suzuki's over 1000cc... thumbs

4: Other stuff that is either slow, fragile, heavy, boring,
much too sensible or lacks tuning potential... Sad

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

@Robbie wrote:
Here's 1 for you and it's nearly the right colour. Plenty of room on the back for the mrs and some luggage. Laughing

I would have gone for that until you mentioned luggage LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Stue,
There are 4 basic groups that all motorcycles fall into.

1: AIRCOOLED chaindrive 4 cylinder Suzuki's over 1000cc... thumbs

2: OILCOOLED chaindrive 4 cylinder Suzuki's over 1000cc... thumbs

3: WATERCOOLED chaindrive 4 cylinder Suzuki's over 1000cc... thumbs

4: Other stuff that is either slow, fragile, heavy, boring,
much too sensible or lacks tuning potential... Sad

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Suzuki man by anychance LaughingLaughingLaughing all makes sense though LaughingLaughing

@Stue11 wrote:
@Robbie wrote:

I would have gone for that until you mentioned luggage LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

But it does say 'Marco' on the frame Stue

Stue, I've had my share of Honda/kwak/Yam
and a few other brands, but I'm not real gentle
on my toys and a bit slack on my servicing.
Suzuki's are great for mix and match with parts
between models and are a bit harder to kill.

They just suit me.

yamaha parts are compatible between models,how about a v max for those long lonely freeways ?

I find suzukis are not as well finished, Hondas indestructible and ducatis fun!

just my experience though.

TheBiker46 wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:
@Robbie wrote:

But it does say 'Marco' on the frame Stue
LaughingLaughingLaughing

@dick65 wrote:
yamaha parts are compatible between models,how about a v max for those long lonely freeways ?

All models have a degree of "parts swapping"
but Yam are nowhere near as good as Suzuki or Kawasaki.
The Zed's and Gpz's and Suzuki's GS/GSX/GSXR/GSF
range are just big boys meccano.

Ridden several V-Max's (the one's that hadnt already spat 2nd gear out)
I thought they were over rated, but i've never been a fan of cruisers.
Shaft drive and odd size wheels dont help.

I find suzukis are not as well finished,

Cant argue with that !
I've always thought Suzuki had poor build quality.
Many parts have a cheap feel to them and using
stickers where other makes use chrome badges,
or big thick edged stickers instead of a 2nd paint colour,
Using adjustable levers one side and not the other !
The finish is certainly not a quality job.

Motors are the Mutt's Nut's though... thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
other bikes are available LaughingLaughingthumbs

They are,but sometimes in life having 2nd best just isn't enough. Laughing

agree Which is why I now own a ZX12 - KawaMike!!!! thumbsthumbsthumbsthumbsfoflfofl
thread hijackedscratchscratch

I had one last year. Very clean and beautiful Blue.
Dropped the price well below Busa bottom book
and still had trouble shifting it. A lot of fun and
great value, a Busa is more streamline and has
more tuning potential but to be honest the ZX is
Ideal for 99% of folk who aren't petrol heads.