Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lea75

Books to recommend

Is there a book you love, and would recommend to others?

Give us the title of the book, authors name, what type of book it is, and a very general what the book is about (dont forget not to give anything away!)

I would love to have some suggestions to look though...I love finding new authors congratulations

The book tittled The Shack by William P. Young is an amazing Christian book. It has to be one of my favorites. It is Sad and amazing story all at the same time. It gives a different outlook on Christianity but somehow explains many internal questions that I've struggled with in my beliefs. Beautiful written and definitely inspiring and heart touching. I definitely recommend it. I've recommended it to my grandmother and several friends and they've all past it on as well.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield is another amazing book that I've read. It is a beautiful story about a young woman writing a Biography for a famous Author that is known for telling false tales of her life to newspaper editors and the press. This book takes you into another world, it makes it so easy for you to imagine you are any one of the Characters in this book. Definitely will help you escape reality while reading, it really sucks you in.

Author: Robin McKinley
Book Name: The Hero And The Crown
Synopsis: There is no place in the country of Damar for Aerin, the king's daughter, who is also the daughter of a witchwoman; and so she befriends her father's crippled war-horse, Talat, and teases her cousin Tor into teaching her to handle a sword.
But it is Aerin who rediscovers the old recipe for dragonfire-proof kenet, and when the army is called away to the other side of the country, it is she who, alone but for Talat, rides out to confront Maur, the Black Dragon, the last of the Great Dragons, for centuries thought dead.
(There is also a fantastic love affair in it that makes you cry )

Author: Jodi Picoult
Book: Handle with Care

It's about a girl who has OI and it travels through the life of her,and her parents decide to hold a law case on her, to get money...and they are suing against her best friend!

myladyyawo wrote:
The book tittled The Shack by William P. Young is an amazing Christian book. It has to be one of my favorites. It is Sad and amazing story all at the same time. It gives a different outlook on Christianity but somehow explains many internal questions that I've struggled with in my beliefs. Beautiful written and definitely inspiring and heart touching. I definitely recommend it. I've recommended it to my grandmother and several friends and they've all past it on as well.

I loved that book, and only last week I heard the author being interviewed on Unity FM, the online radio station of my church. It's an amazing book and one that I read because my friend Kokonee recommended it to me. I was a bit hesitant about reading something like this, not because of the portrayal of God, but because of how sometimes books have a tendency to go the route of 'my way or the highway'. This one did not do that at all. It was an insightful read, and something that I will read again and again as well as recommend. A wonderful book.

If you take any book of Alexandra Potter - you will not regret it Smile I recommend "Be carefull what you wish for..." because
the book is really fascinating and you will not even realize when you
started with a dream Smile It's about a girl that has everything in life
went downhill, and a completely absurd situation returns her to the
right path ... I highly recommend, and after this one you'll definitely love all Alexandra Potters books Smile
"Do you come here often?"
"Me and Mr. Darcy"
"Who's that girl" are just some of her books... Smile

I didn't know that there are two books with the same name.

Tromo3 wrote:
I didn't know that there are two books with the same name.

Two books with the same name? Smile

The one you named, and a book from R. L. Stine named: ''Be careful what you wish for''

Tromo3 wrote:
The one you named, and a book from R. L. Stine named: ''Be careful what you wish for''

O yes, right, I also heard about R. L. Stine s book, but i lost that info from head congratulations

MissQueen wrote:
If you take any book of Alexandra Potter - you will not regret it Smile I recommend "Be carefull what you wish for..." because
the book is really fascinating and you will not even realize when you
started with a dream Smile It's about a girl that has everything in life
went downhill, and a completely absurd situation returns her to the
right path ... I highly recommend, and after this one you'll definitely love all Alexandra Potters books Smile
"Do you come here often?"
"Me and Mr. Darcy"
"Who's that girl" are just some of her books... Smile

Be careful what you wish for sounds like it would be a good book. I'll have to see if our local library has it next time I go Smile

I have so many great books to recommend congratulations

Ellen Hopkins is my all time fave author. Her books are amazing and she writes in a differant way than other writers. Since I can't describe her books as good as I want I'm going to share her website with you. www.ellenhopkins.com (thanks Lea!)
After you enter her site go to 'Books' on the list on the left hand side and then click on each title to get a description telling you what the book is about.

Crank, Glass (2nd book to Crank), Burned, Impulse, Identical and Tricks.

I haven't read Tricks yet (I'm getting it held for me at the library right now), but I have never read an Ellen Hopkins book that I didn't love. Her books suck you in and you don't want to put them down. I read Crank which is over 600 pages in like 3 hours. There's not alot of words on each page like normal books. When you check out the inserts at her website you'll see what I mean about how her books are printed differantly.

Pretty soon Fallout will be out, it's the 3rd and last book in the Crank series. The rest of her books are novels and aren't in a series. She's also writing Perfect right now, can't wait! Anyways, I hope ya'll will take the time to check out her books on her website. I love her books so much and want others to enjoy them too. Out of all of her books the Crank series and Identical are my faves. Smile

I have a few more books to recommend, but will do them later Smile

There are TWO books I read, over and over again each year...totally recommend both of them:

The Princess Bride by William Goldman (unabridge edition)- it's a classic love story with pirates, a giant, flight scenes, kidnapping, and true love.

Sound of the Waves by Yukio Mishima (she's an japanese author but there should be english translation edition)- story about a village fishing boy that falls in love with a rich girl...if you like Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet (but this has a happier ending) then this is a must read for you!

Enjoy!

myladyyawo wrote:

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield is another amazing book that I've read. It is a beautiful story about a young woman writing a Biography for a famous Author that is known for telling false tales of her life to newspaper editors and the press. This book takes you into another world, it makes it so easy for you to imagine you are any one of the Characters in this book. Definitely will help you escape reality while reading, it really sucks you in.

Oh I just read The Thirteenth Tale over christmas break! I liked the way the book was written...it was a good read! If you like books that just 'sucks you in/page turner' then have you read books by Kate Mosse? Her books are really well written in dialogue and description scenes. Got to warn you though, not happy endings but it's one of those readings where you just curl up for hours, wanting to solve the mysteries.

Wow thank you Mayski for the recommendation I've never read her books, but I'll have to look for them to give them a try congratulations

You're very welcome! Start with the her first book 'Labyrinth' and it starts the story in 1209 and jumps to the future 2005. Hope you like it...I picked it off of amazon.com because it got great reviews.

HEY..you got the deers on the bracelet..looks amazing!

Pink Pixel Princess made it for me Smile I just love the deer dolls on pet society congratulations They are my favorites!!

Book: Heal Your Body A-Z: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Way to Overcome Them
Author: Louise hay
If you read her book "Heal Your body", then you will find this book very useful Smile
It will give you the problem in your consciousness that caused physical problem in your body & the new thought pattern to overcome this problem.

Jamie-awesome suggestion..I checked out her website...I think I'm going to be sucker in after my Sookie S. series...lol. THANKS!

I haven't actually read either of these books myself yet, but am going to read them next because friends have highly recommended them both -
both of them are British and historical

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747596484/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Several friends have read that one and enjoyed it

and

Tudor Rose by Sue Allen
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1906070091/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

i reccomend eclipse i think that everybody knows that is the next book of new moon

myladyyawo wrote:

I'm reading "The Shack" right now! It's pretty good so far Smile

As far as a book I'd reccomend... it would probably be "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks. I just finished reading it for the movie this weekend and it was really good! It has a lot of aspects of traditional romance with a couple twists, and it really keeps you wishing for more every time you stop. It's kind of a girly book though, so I'd reccomend it to girls.

I highly recommend the Vampire Academy series Smile Very very good books. Everyone raves about Twilight series (as I do too) but these are right up there!

Harmzy wrote:
I highly recommend the Vampire Academy series Smile Very very good books. Everyone raves about Twilight series (as I do too) but these are right up there!

yes, i've heard the same raves about that series as well.

my recommendation is also twilight related. it's called Dark Side of the Moon. it is Edward's version of New Moon Smile - FanFiction at it's very best! if lea says it's ok, i'll come back and post the site where this book can be found Smile

edit:
here is the site (approved by lea Smile )
http://www.twilighted.net/index.php

you must register first Smile

there is also another great one called Waning Moon by Yborjen which is Carlisle's story (canon) which i found to be amazingly good!!

i want to reccomend brisingr by cristopher paolini its amazing book but u have to read 1st eragon and eldest

mayski wrote:
Jamie-awesome suggestion..I checked out her website...I think I'm going to be sucker in after my Sookie S. series...lol. THANKS!

lol Your welcome! I hope you love them as much as I do! Smile

Harmzy wrote:
<--- Love that series!

I want to recommend The House of Night series by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast. If you love vampire books you'll love this series. I think P.C. said there will be like 12 books all together in the series.. right now I beleive there are 6 out. This is one of my fave series. I didn't know if I would like them at first ,but before I finished chapter 1 I didn't want to stop reading.

Eragon is the first book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.
Paolini began writing the book at the age of fifteen. After writing the
first draft for a year, he spent a second year rewriting it and
fleshing out the story and characters. Paolini's parents saw the final
manuscript and decided to self-publish Eragon. Paolini spent a year traveling around the United States promoting the novel. By chance, the book was discovered by Carl Hiaasen, who got it re-published by Alfred A. Knopf. The re-published version was released on August 26, 2003.
The book tells the story of a young farm boy named Eragon, who finds a mysterious stone in the mountains. A dragon named Saphira hatches from the stone, which was really an egg. When the evil King Galbatorix
finds out about Eragon and his dragon, he sends his servants after them
in an effort to capture them. Eragon and Saphira are forced to flee
from their hometown, and decide to search for the Varden, a group of
rebels who want to see the downfall of Galbatorix.
my brother push me to reccomend lol

mine recommendation
The Island is a historical fiction novel written by Victoria Hislop. It is the winner of several awards including that of Newcomer of the Year at the 2007 British Book Awards.[1] The book was also nominated for the Book of the Year award at the same event.[2]
Set on the island of Spinalonga, off the coast of Crete, The Island
tells the story of Alexis Fielding, a woman on the cusp of a
life-changing decision. Alexis knows little or nothing about her
family's past and has always resented her mother for refusing to
discuss it. She knows only that her mother, Sofia grew up in Plaka,
a small Cretan village, before moving to London. Making her first visit
to Crete to see the village where her mother was born, Alexis discovers
that the village of Plaka faces the small, deserted island of
Spinalonga, which, she is shocked and surprised to learn was Greece's leper colony
for much of the 20th century. It is here that Alexis meets Fotini an
old friend of her mother, someone who is prepared to tell her for the
first time the whole tragic story of her family. What Fotini tells her
is shocking and tragic, it is the story which Sofia has spent her life
concealing: the story of Eleni, her great-grandmother, and of a family
torn apart by tragedy, war and passion. She discovers how intimately
she is connected with the island and with the horror and pity of the
leper colony which was once there, and learns too that the secrets of
the past have the power to change the future.

ooh, the island sounds like a good read! i'm going to go search for it in amazon, thanks for the recommendation esperia.

esperia wrote:
mine recommendation
The Island is a historical fiction novel written by Victoria Hislop. It is the winner of several awards including that of Newcomer of the Year at the 2007 British Book Awards.[1] The book was also nominated for the Book of the Year award at the same event.[2]
Spinalonga, which, she is shocked and surprised to learn was Greece's leper colony

great review! you should post it in the book review section too!
http://www.petsociety.forumotion.com/book-club-f54/book-review-t7816.htm

Lucky Strike wrote:
the name of the rose (umberto eco), les miserables (victor hugo) and sans famille (hector mallo) congratulations

have readen all these

smorkle wrote:
esperia wrote:
mine recommendation

its from wikipedia not mine

esperia wrote:
Lucky Strike wrote:
the name of the rose (umberto eco), les miserables (victor hugo) and sans famille (hector mallo) congratulations

have readen all these

classic books that every one should read!

esperia wrote:
smorkle wrote:
esperia wrote:
mine recommendation

i reallized it from the [1],[2] markers ontop of some words

oh! have you read "phantom of the opera" by Gaston Lerru? (or however it's spelled! Ashamed )

Lucky Strike wrote:
[

i reallized it from the [1],[2] markers ontop of some words

oh! have you read "phantom of the opera" by Gaston Lerru? (or however it's spelled! Ashamed )[/quote]
yes....it is obvoius im so bored to write a review !!!!!!!!!! yes i read it and i saw it also @ movie!!!!(btw didnt know up to now that gerard butler played the main role in that movie )

Hi. I'm new to the book club, but read voraciously congratulations. I'm also addicted to audiobooks so I can listen while I walk my dogs

So, my book of the month is "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink. I haven't seen the movie, but the audiobook is beautifully narrated and is a wonderful. I dont want o ruin the story for you, but the book tells the story of 15 year old Michael and 36 year old Hanna who meet in West Germany in 1958. They begin a relationship which includes the ritual of him reading to her each time they meet. One day Hanna suddenly disappears from Michaels life. Eight years later he finds her again in unexpected circumstances. He makes some horrifying discoveries about her life and the motivation behind the ritual of his reading to her.......

Granted, it's not a "cheer you up" book, but I loved it and I hope you do too.

Wish Fairy wrote:
Hi. I'm new to the book club, but read voraciously congratulations. I'm also addicted to audiobooks so I can listen while I walk my dogs

So, my book of the month is "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink. I haven't seen the movie, but the audiobook is beautifully narrated and is a wonderful. I dont want o ruin the story for you, but the book tells the story of 15 year old Michael and 36 year old Hanna who meet in West Germany in 1958. They begin a relationship which includes the ritual of him reading to her each time they meet. One day Hanna suddenly disappears from Michaels life. Eight years later he finds her again in unexpected circumstances. He makes some horrifying discoveries about her life and the motivation behind the ritual of his reading to her.......

Granted, it's not a "cheer you up" book, but I loved it and I hope you do too.

I loved this book too Wish, and the film is excellent! Kate Winslet won an oscar for it, she really is amazing in it! I very often don't enjoy a film if I've read the book but this has to be the exception to the rule.

Double recommendation as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, so I am a total sucker for books that fit into what I think is the young adult science fiction-ish genre. I am going to spare big descriptions, but I just wanted to list my favorites.. because they are amazing reads - and if you are not a young adult, don't be deterred - I'm not in that category and I seriously love them.

Actually I think I am going to steal some descriptions because I am lazy, and I want everyone to know what they are about!

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
This one sounds slightly disturbing, but it is excellent.
Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When her sister is chosen by lottery, Katniss steps up to go in her place.

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
I will spare the description on this one as it is the second in the series, and I don't want to ruin it!

The Mortal Instruments Series - Cassandra Clare

This is a sort of Twilight-eque series, except a bit more urban in the setting. I was skeptical at first, but it is definitely up there with my favorite books ever! They are the sort of books that you can't get your nose out of until you are finished. Check it out. You won't be sorry.

I think I'll stop there for now.

Some of the best books I've ever read is the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and it's followup, The Girl Who Played With Fire. Author is Steig Larson. The stories and characters are so intense and real, and upon finishing them, were heartwrenching and just so full of awe. There is everything from love, family, friendship, human trust, deceit & betrayal, corrupt corporations, female abuse, social injustices, people who are "misfits" and misunderstood, morals, vengeance, the human need for truths, etc.

I don't want to give anything away, nor will my summaries do them justice, but for a ballpark idea:

Both books kind of involve mysteries that the characters are trying to figure out. In the first one, the niece of huge corporate owner has been missing for about 20 years and as he is getting old, is making a final attempt to find how she disappeared. He hires a journalist Mikael Blomvkist who goes through everything that had anything to do with the day the girl disappeared... while researching he meets a certain Lisbeth Salander, introverted, seemingly mentally strange and whatnot, but who is actually extremely capable and intriguing. The two of them discover some very deep and twisted family secrets in solving the mystery.

In the second book, the heroine Lisbeth is framed for 3 murders, and the book delves into her mysterious past.

I hope some of you guys look into these books! They are well worth the read!

Hello!
I became interested in your topic and thought if you won't mind me joining in...
Well, I recommend reading books authored by Paulo Coelho. His books are so inspiring and are very good reads. My personal fave from Mr. Coelho is 'The Alchemist'. It's about a shepherd boy who sought on a search for a certain treasure, and in the end found more than just the worldly wealth he had expected- a treasure more important than anything the world could offer, love. It's really beautiful and I fell in love with it. =)

D.S-G.P wrote:
Hello!
I became interested in your topic and thought if you won't mind me joining in...
Well, I recommend reading books authored by Paulo Coelho. His books are so inspiring and are very good reads. My personal fave from Mr. Coelho is 'The Alchemist'. It's about a shepherd boy who sought on a search for a certain treasure, and in the end found more than just the worldly wealth he had expected- a treasure more important than anything the world could offer, love. It's really beautiful and I fell in love with it. =)

I too love this book - great choice !!

So my recommendation for April is

South of Broad by Pat Conroy

This is a very long novel about the lives of 8 people whose lives collide one summer in Charleston, South Carolina.

I love Pat Conroy and no-one can conjure up the mystery of the South quite like him for me. The characters are beautifully drawn and the story has everything you want ...madness, suicide, religion, humour, friendship, catastophe and ...american football !

The narrative is warm and engaging and the story telling tranpsorted me right into the heart of Charleston.

I'm miserable that I've finished it actually - it was wonderful and I urge you to try it. If you're new to Conroy - get the audiobook as it's unabridged and very well narrated.

I totally loved it - my favourite in a very long time.