Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elgee

[WIP] Two-way Co-custom Build: Gee & danielh's Nissan GTRs

yeah!! now HWs gtr looks nice, after taken some putty.. r u using tamiya putty or others?? i just use hardware putty in some of my customs, and as danielh said to me earlier, hardware putty sure hard to handle (easy to damage)..
btw both of u done well in each other's customs!! really nice !!

Walao , this is nice man, really interesting , can't wait to see the result, keep it up bro. lol!

danielh wrote:
yes, your GTR has taken up the shape already. I haven't custom using this putty before. Is it harden when fully dried? But i can see that you can mould it in whatever body shape or the contour you wanted it. This is the advantage using putty.

jhc7598 wrote:
yeah!! now HWs gtr looks nice, after taken some putty.. r u using tamiya putty or others?? i just use hardware putty in some of my customs, and as danielh said to me earlier, hardware putty sure hard to handle (easy to damage)..
btw both of u done well in each other's customs!! really nice !!

i use the normal putty that you can find in hardware stores in malaysia, since i always used this putty back in malaysia.

This putty is soft like blutack/tack-it or plasticine for about two minutes after you knead it. Then i place it over the area i want, with the rough shape. do the shape as close as possible (sometimes this may be even quite far away from the final shape). it will look like one dough over another. ill use the side skirts as example.

In my experience, the putty will completely harden in 24 hours. So it is important that you must leave it untouched (no itchy hands and dont drop it either) for at least a day. Then it will be rock solid, but it is also brittle, which means it will break easily. Then i usually use sandpaper and more recently, the sanding stone attachment on my dremel to shape it.

Once you have shaped it the first time, it won't be perfect. Take a look at it, see what else is there to be done. If you took out too much putty by sanding, knead another batch of putty and go over the surface again. This process can be long or short, depends on how careful you are when sanding. Just be patient (sometimes i am not), or else you will get extra work and get frustrated easier.

Here's the before and after shaping of the front (taken from previous pictures).

Good explanation , well done brother, now i know how to create the side skirt. cheers

hehe.. finally putty works 101.. hehe.. the more patient u are the more impressive the work.. hehe.. im not the patient type of guy.. hehe

patience, which i dont really have, huhu~~
btw thanks a lot bro!! now i had to find this type of putty..

great work danielh.......sexy custom !

elgee, remember to scrible the lines of the bumpers once done..keep up the good work !

wuh................ how much 4 both cars.. hahahah

cham2020 wrote:

elgee, remember to scrible the lines of the bumpers once done..keep up the good work !

yeah, panel lines panel lines is your mantra haha! thanks for the reminder, i almost forgot about them!

YU5H wrote:
wuh................ how much 4 both cars.. hahahah

hmm, i think four digits (not including cents) in USD bro, hahaha! do you agree danielh?

I did some final body work using the dremel today, I finally got the shape on both sides to be symmetrical and consistent. It was a lot of hard work making sure both sides mirror each other, that they are the same geometry. I must admit it is not perfect, but I am pretty happy with the result. After work being done with the dremel, i proceeded to hard-sand it by hand using a 200-grit sandpaper to smoothen the sharp edges. The GTR looks more aerodynamic after that. Then I used 600-grit sandpaper to smoothen the surfaces.

One note, when you put putty, dont be afraid to put more, because when you sand it you are taking putty away. If you put too little putty and get a bit carried away with sanding, you may end up applying putty and waiting for another day before any progress. Here's what the final shape after the wide body kit extension looks like. It looks pretty good now. Very Happy

Also, I posted in my haul thread that I bought wheels for this GTR today. Since nobody PMed me to save it, I have slaughtered it!

Other than the car (to be used for spare or replacement body parts) and the wheels (which is what I bought for in the first place), there are uses for the packaging of this Maisto (and some Jadas too):

1. Keep some of the cards. You can use these to cut up to fabricate body kit parts and spoilers.
2. Keep the transparent plastics, these can be useful as window replacements in the future since they are inside the blister and pretty much scratch free. Smile

Okay, now you may have noticed that that wheel wells on the GTR are both small whereas the XLR that i bought has big rear wheels and smaller front wheels. So what I did was enlarge the wheel wells to fit the larger rear wheels, using the ever-multipurpose dremel.

You can see the difference in size between the front and rear wheel wells.

Dryfitting the wheels. Looks pretty good, doesnt it?

Thats all for today, a slightly lengthy update. Hope you enjoy!

that dremel really do some magic!!! After widened the wheel well, the XLR wheel can fit perfectly into the GTR and now it looks so cool....

Painted the base colours today, started with primer for body and flat black for chassis.

And then the colour for the body:

Spoiler:

work progress now into body spraying stage. From the pictures i've seen, the overall custom GTR wide body looks more clearly now as all the moulded putty works now covered under spray paint.
Keep up the good work elgee!!

ELGee...i'm thinking...maybe we can also somehow...put more the putty, not too much, just make sure there's enough and compacted to the desired shaped, once solid over a day...then we start to buff/polish to actual shape we want...Smile

Also one more thing, am sure couple of us guys are dying to know....how much for that MULTI-PURPOSE DREMEL tool!!! Very Happy Anyway we can invest, transfer paypal/funds to purchase and shipped!!! Wink

thanks danielh! looking forward to seeing your gtr too. :-D

Rayz-HWC wrote:
ELGee...i'm thinking...maybe we can also somehow...put more the putty, not too much, just make sure there's enough and compacted to the desired shaped, once solid over a day...then we start to buff/polish to actual shape we want...

Also one more thing, am sure couple of us guys are dying to know....how much for that MULTI-PURPOSE DREMEL tool!!! Anyway we can invest, transfer paypal/funds to purchase and shipped!!!

hmm, i suppose you can do that. the putty i use is pretty hard to shape when it is soft though. if you are able to shape it, then quite awesome cos you can do that to save time and putty! :-)

and as for the dremel request, i can purchase a brand new dremel for A$95 (cordless, more for the version with cord). shipping may depend on the weight and dimensions of the package so I cannot give you a quote until I get the box, but id say a ballpark figure of A$70.

Rayz-HWC wrote:
Also one more thing, am sure couple of us guys are dying to know....how much for that MULTI-PURPOSE DREMEL tool!!! Anyway we can invest, transfer paypal/funds to purchase and shipped!!!

You've read my mind dude!!

rikmun wrote:
i saw many nice cars behind~

just regular stuff: vw type 181, fte batmobile, california, bluebird, f430 spider, lambo murcielago, c6r, dodge viper, mini cooper, evo x

gonggok wrote:
nice colour elgee..

rikmun wrote:
garang man!

thanks you guys Smile actually, i really want to put both danielh and my gtr side by side once its complete for a photoshoot.

jhc7598 wrote:

You've read my mind dude!!

see above. Smile

ok dokie.. erm, roughly how much it'll cost?? plus shipping, and in RM..
i dunno forex la, RazzRazz

ah, basically A$1 = RM3.15 (as of today, subject to change in the future).

So one new dremel is A$95 = RM299.25
plus shipping is A$70 = RM220.50 (shipping cost is an estimate, I don't know for sure until I get the weight and dimensions of the parcel).

Thanks. I thought I was the first to make a yellow gtr. Then i remembered tomica already had a YELLOW hat gtr. *facepalm*

anyway, small update. just fabricated some extra parts today, like the diffuser, rear wing and little winglets.

bro gee,what you use to stick the fabricated parts on the body?

rikmun wrote:
bro gee,what you use to stick the fabricated parts on the body?

i use a variety depending on the strength needed. some i use PVA glue, some superglue and some epoxy. usually ill use superglue or pva. but be careful when using superglue, because it will run and the alcohol content will melt paint.

RGSUKAN wrote:
wow...evolusi drift.. soo nice la elgee..

haha thanks! not as nice as your kari kepala ikan.

Adrian wrote:
thanks for sharing..

glad you enjoy!

Street car version using CF hood! I believe it's going to be awesome GTR soon!!

danielh wrote:

and i hope to c u using some CF on ur custom GT-R too..bro!!

chee keng hong wrote:
danielh wrote:

and i hope to c u using some CF on ur custom GT-R too..bro!!

thanks for the suggestion!!!!!!!

Sorry for the late update on my WIP as i was busy in my office work and often came back home late, thus a little time to spare for my custom work.
Here's my progress, the rear side centre logo was to small to print out and can't be seen and read clearly. So i decided to work the other way.

I used masking tape to seal around the embossed logo. (all the four sides)

After that, i used a medium range grit sandpaper to sand of the exposed logo. This has to be done slowly and gentle. As the more i sanded it, the embossed metal logo are now can be seen clearly after i removed the masking area. This method will result the standard nissan logo in full metal finished. It makes my work easy since it's embossed logo on the casting surface.

Next, for the front headlight, i decided to apply chrome finish effect by using a piece of chrome finish paper.
I've marked the area according to the shape that i wanted to cut it out.

]

The chrome paper are now cut accordingly to the shape as shown below.

And the chrome finished are now placed under side of the plastic headlight cover using double sided tape.
Now we can see the actual chrome finished front headlight.

Now, time to concentrate on the interior side. The seat bucket are now painted with red colour as standard racing seat colour. Thare are still some touch up work need to be done on the seat.

While waiting for the bucket seat to dry up, i proceed to the underside of the base. Some metal finish paint applies on the underside muffler and exhaust system. As for the tyres, i decided to retain the originals wheels as the rims was in dark chrome finished that suited the custom GTR.

Lastly, the GTR body casting are now sprayed with clear coat finish.

as all the above section are almost complete, just awaiting for final assembly,
i will upload the full complete pictures soon.
Thanks for viewing.

superb ideas! i like how you used sandpaper for the logo and chromed the headlamps! it is little details like these that make your custom stand out. brilliant stuff in this wip. :-)

wow! Nice job Danielh!! Cant wait to see ur complete Custom GT-R!
Btw..i really like u use the "Greedy" as the Main tempo of the car!!
Bravo!

elgee wrote:
superb ideas! i like how you used sandpaper for the logo and chromed the headlamps! it is little details like these that make your custom stand out. brilliant stuff in this wip. :-)

thanks elgee! the idea of using sandpaper for the logo comes in after my printed logo failed. The scale was too small or the pixel are not up to the quality print finish. And for the chromed headlight, again the idea using this material as the original headlight which placed under the casting looks like camouflage under the black lining which i've sprayed on top of the side hood.
Hope that my idea will be useful for others customizer to share.

pydrumerboy wrote:
Wow, danielh design is amazing

haha!! thanks PY! appreciates your comments, it's just my way of custom to share for others to see.