Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

A bit of a confession :(

The other week when on the B-king rideout I got a little to confident and nearly had a off, I was riding really well it was a fast pace , I entered a left corner and hit some gravel felt the front go , I stood the bike up and braked the back wheel was chattering and the tyre squealing, affraid I had no where to go but across the other lane (thank censored nothing was coming)and up on to a grass bank where i pulled the clutch in and just let it come to a rest , I didnt drop it party

The thing is its knocked my confidence , and keep thinking what could have been , is this normal and will it wear off ? confused

just try to relax and enjoy the ride you will soon get your confidence back bike2 if it ever stops raining that is rain2

it will pass dave,so when you say fast paste did you find yourself getting a little behind the others if so

common mistake in my eyes on rideouts just let them get on with it,they will or should wait for you further ahead thumbsthumbs

Dave the one thing you got to remember is ride at your abilities and the way your confident with. Too many people go on ride outs and try to keep up with the quickest of the lot and its not the way to go! as you have learnt, pushing beyond your capabilities doesn't end the way you hoped! You'll soon forget about it though Smile It's one of the reasons I don't like to go for ride out with a group of people, there will always be one that wants to go flat out and gun it everywhere which tends to make the rest try and keep up.

@lee wrote:
it will pass dave,so when you say fast paste did you find yourself getting a little behind the others if so

common mistake in my eyes on rideouts just let them get on with it,they will or should wait for you further ahead thumbsthumbs
I wasn't forced in to it and with the drop off system you dont have to keep up with them , I was enjoying it up to that point

@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

I wasn't forced in to it and with the drop off system you dont have to keep up with them , I was enjoying it up to that point
I wouldnt worry about it to much dave
just get back out on it and relax thumbs

worse one I did was a 85mph emergency stop affraidaffraid smoked 5 fags one after the other when I parked up LaughingLaughing
that was from playing catch up slaphead

like has been said it will pass , i had this on the gsxr just after i got it going to fast and as the bike is light , went in to a dip and a cross wind hit the bike took me right over the other side of the road , i also shit my self , but its never caught me out again , at the end of the day bikes are very fast now , and we all ride to fast at time , my saying is give the bike total RESPECT ALL THE TIME , AND READ THE ROAD THE BEST YOU CAN , thumbsthumbs and im not saying you dont but after the Bandit the BKING is a monster , so much power in the right hand , turn the key and the devil,s horn,s come up

thats confidence mate say on a scale 1 to 10

you get up to confidence of 10, have a close call and knocks to back to 8, but ride, anjoy and youll soon get it back to ten?

dont thyink any bikers gone without a set back unless their mad!

You'll be just fine Dave. Maybe a gentle bimble out with me is what you need. Smile

You'll be just fine Dave. Maybe a gentle bimble out with me is what you need. Smile

agree Take it steady mate and just build up your confidence again. It won't take long once you get back on it. Very Happy

take up Alans offer Dave what you need is steady confidence building
rides it'll take a while so slow down widen your feild of vision look as far down the road as you can ( has the effect off making everything seem to happen slower ) and enjoy your Bike

i reckon weve all been there,when ive had a crap ride i try and get back out again as soon as possible and dont think about it thumbs dont worry about it Dave just ride and enjoy thumbs

Dave you will be ok mate, im always tail end Charlie and i let the dickheads speed of and certainly dont try to keep up, ile be totally honest here after falling off at speed it certainly slows you down thumbs

I askeed Ron Haslam in 2001 as to why i cant get me confidence back after me off...

He answered im a racer on a bloody race track..
Your a rider on the queens highway thumbs

Slow down or die simple he said Shocked but in a nice way offcourse thumbs
Youll be ok mate i promise thumbs

B-King is VERY different to the Bandit.

Bandit makes you work, and in return it really does let you know whats going on,
even well set up a B12 is low tech and lets you know it when you turn up the pace.

B-King is waaaaay better but the extra power,
brilliant brakes, frame and good running gear
mean its easy to be getting a move on at
a fair pace and super smooth before you
realise all's about to go pear-shaped.

Stick another 10,000 miles on it Dave,
you just havent got used to it enough.

B-King is VERY different to the Bandit.

Bandit makes you work, and in return it really does let you know whats going on,
even well set up a B12 is low tech and lets you know it when you turn up the pace.

B-King is waaaaay better but the extra power,
brilliant brakes, frame and good running gear
mean its easy to be getting a move on at
a fair pace and super smooth before you
realise all's about to go pear-shaped.

Stick another 10,000 miles on it Dave,
you just havent got used to it enough.

well said thumbsthumbs

Yeah it's normal and yes it will pass. Keep getting out on the bike, but don't try and force your pace, just relax and you'll soon get your confidence back up thumbs

It's all been said mate. Did it a few years ago on the Bandit not long after I passed my test. I now ride to my pace and let everyone else disappear if they need to. It's why I need to put some miles on the ZX. Very different to the Bandit and need to get used it thumbsLaughingLaughing

Thanks for all your replies guys no1 I have taken it all on board , think it was a little bit of all that has been said , but also down to hitting the gravel in the corner which is making me think it is going to be there in every corner if that makes sense scratch

I don't mind admitting Ive been there too Dave. A confidence knock just takes a little time to get over, which I'm sure you will thumbs . There is nothing wrong with thinking "what if" there's Gravel, Horse sh*t, Tractor, Broken down vehicle etc. round the corner its your self preservation kicking in. Its when your enjoyment of riding is been spoilt by to many negative thoughts that can become a problem. Look on the positive side Dave a less experienced rider might not of controlled the bike as you did and had an off so a big WELL DONE Lots of great advice on this forum Dave its like a big extended family isn't it? thumbsthumbs

Its all been said and sound advice given.

IMHO If we don't make mistakes in life how do we learn ?

Its what we do with that experience that counts.

Turn a negative into a positive you'll be a better rider for it.

(sorry to sound like a smart arse Embarassed )

If nothing else it will improve your forward observation thumbs

Or get what you really wanted look at the luggage on this
mbike

I don't mind admitting Ive been there too Dave. A confidence knock just takes a little time to get over, which I'm sure you will thumbs . There is nothing wrong with thinking "what if" there's Gravel, Horse sh*t, Tractor, Broken down vehicle etc. round the corner its your self preservation kicking in. Its when your enjoyment of riding is been spoilt by to many negative thoughts that can become a problem. Look on the positive side Dave a less experienced rider might not of controlled the bike as you did and had an off so a big WELL DONE Lots of great advice on this forum Dave its like a big extended family isn't it? thumbsthumbs
Very good point youve made there...Daves experiance riding motorbikes certainlly did save him putting it down the road agree

We've all been guilty of it at some point mate but your confidence is back/coming back as we've had a couple of outings out together since then and you rode alright to me. thumbs

you should have stuck to your Bsa.

hide

now stop worrying about it and get back out there and enjoy yaself you silly bugger.

I ride about 10,000 miles a year commuting and about 6,000 miles a year for fun, I have been on a motorcycle since I was 15 (now 55) and apart from the usual falls when I was a young whip-a-snapper I manage to complete about 25 years without a serious accident, then 3 years ago a Polish taxi driver decided to take me out on a roundabout while he was talking on the phone.
It took me ages to get my confidence back, but it came and yours will as well.
As has been said on here take your time and you will find yourself getting quicker.
You have to convince yourself that your mishap was not of your doing, it was external forces.
Ride safe, Ride happy.

I'm not alone then - having done that myself now think sod the gearbox and use that to check as much speed as possible. Gravel is another matter, dangerous stuff.

When you said you went up and stopped on a bank. Was it in Fakenham, Norfolk cos its probably the same one where I ended up years ago lol!surrender

@Davehutch wrote:
Thanks for all your replies guys no1 I have taken it all on board , think it was a little bit of all that has been said , but also down to hitting the gravel in the corner which is making me think it is going to be there in every corner if that makes sense scratch

Thats normal Dave.You did good keeping it shiny side up.Its happened to me before.I was very wiery(sp) for a few weeks or so.A friend told me to find some back roads,pootle down them looking for gravel,horse shit etc then turn around and ride the bit of road a little faster( not full monty) knowing theres nowt there..
I know you cant do this every time you ride but it seemed to help me in somw way

@Robbie wrote:
We've all been guilty of it at some point mate but your confidence is back/coming back as we've had a couple of outings out together since then and you rode alright to me. thumbs
thanks Robbie with what you have said and the guy who was following me has said this on the king forum ,makes me feel better :

Yours was a little one, no harm done so confidence is likely to return. It will take time though as being a grown up rider you are well aware of what can happen to any of us.

Could you have seen the gravel? Was your approach speed a tad too much? These are considerations that some advanced training MIGHT help with, though as a mature and experienced rider you seem to have excellent road sense.

I was right behind you at the time and your position in the road, corner approach speeds and lines through the corners seemed perfectly okay to me. I'm sure it could have happened to any of us and I saw you control the situation perfectly.