Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stantheman

board and lodgings

both my lads are making 25k plus and im struggling to get their board money am i asking too much at £20 a week or are they taking the pi;; they get all their meals provided and internet in their rooms ;im getting wound up big style as they are always in arrears the mrs says i am paranoid any answers please cos i think theyre taking the pi;; Shocked

As a guide, laddo here pays 15% of his gross pay - so that would be about £70 a week if he was earning what yours is (haha I wish!), plus his share of the stupidly dear council tax.

He naturally thinks that is far too much, but it's still a damn sight less than it would be if he went and rented a gaff.

He's currently trying to negotiate a reduction to 10%, which I'd be fine with if he can persuade the gas, leccy and water companies to drop their rates too LaughingLaughing

20 quid is a tad low considering what they are earning, l was paying 10 pound a week 25 years ago when I was on a lowly yts pay of 30 quid a week.
I would be tempted to let them fend for themselves for a week or two, let them do their shopping, ironing,cooking, cleaning .etc ,obviously letting them stop home rent reduced /free during this period .
it will at least give them a insight into the cost of living and how much of a good thing they are onto at the moment.

must admit i was let off lightly when I lived at home I only paid about £10 but was earning more than my dad when I came out my apprenticeship Embarassed Mel paid a third of the bills when she lived at home , So the answer is Stan they are taking the Pi** , Show them this thread when we have all left our comments , because I think you will find we will all say the same thumbs

So broadly Stan they are paying around 4% of their gross earnings for housing and food, with all the trimmings. When you put it like that I'd say it's pretty clear who gets the best end of the deal. They could, and in my view should, be paying more. You'd be a lucky man indeed if you could afford to keep them off your own earnings. Both my lads are still at Uni, and the strain on us in recent years has been massive. They are taking the pi** and you ought to tell them so mate. Smile

as others have said thats a bit low, I used to pay £20 a week when i was at home 20 years ago

Same here. I was on £130 a week and was paying £25 back in 87/88.
As already said unfortunately it sounds like like they are taking advantage.

@Davehutch wrote:
must admit i was let off lightly when I lived at home I only paid about £10 but was earning more than my dad when I came out my apprenticeship Embarassed Mel paid a third of the bills when she lived at home , So the answer is Stan they are taking the Pi** , Show them this thread when we have all left our comments , because I think you will find we will all say the same thumbs

i paid a 1/3 of ALL bills including food except for the mortgage. which was fair.

i think they are definately taking the pixx.

When daughter was living with her mum, she was paying at least £300 a month and doing all the food shopping, on a wage of 11K which I thought was excessively harsh.

On the other hand Stan, for £20 a week I think the only question left is.... "when can we all move in?" LaughingLaughing

When my boy is working I used to ask for 70 quid a week recentlly told him
it would have to increase to 80 because of rising prices etc
He volunteered to pay 100 quid
He earns about 250 a week. think your lads are laughing all the way to the pub Stan

can only echo what others have put stan

I use to pay £10.00 a week when I was on yts scheme earning about £25.00 a week

think you should have a quite word with them when mums not around thumbs

My boy will work with me when he comes out of school this year and i have told him £25 a week to start with and ever time your wages go up so will the rent , you need to teach them the way of the world , so get more or tell them to move out ,

They are taking the piss Stan weve had this conversation before havent we.....it all depends on how soft you wanna be or how hard you should be ... thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
They are taking the piss Stan weve had this conversation before havent we.....it all depends on how soft you wanna be or how hard you should be ... thumbs

Sorry just read the thread properly...in arrears WTF yea def taking the piss ShockedShocked

hi

avin a laugh, sounds cheap, my lad tried to scam me by saying his pay had gone from weekly to monthly and that he was 2 weeks short yeah right !! anyways he ended up living at his grans enough was enough for me.

steve

Without doubt they are taking the proverbial. I agree with Jezza and would let them fend for themselves for at least a month to realise what a good deal they are getting. But both you and your missus must stick together as sometimes a mums feelings come in to play and youre scuppered. Hope it works out.

I don't want to be controversial with you..But it sounds like you are nervous of being the Head of the house..Common sense tells you no-one can be supported on £20 measly quid--especially on their earnings, common respect /consideration for you and your wife is not being shown.

You asked, so I'm saying as I see it--If it were me I'd raise their lodgings to a SENSIBLE amount,YOU decide that amount..
if they grumbled or declined, I'd tell 'em to find elsewhere,& mean it..
Sorry if you don't like my answer--your sons are USERS.

At £40-£50 each a week they would getting a really good deal..But where does £20 go these days.

@goferit wrote:
I don't want to be controversial with you..But it sounds like you are nervous of being the Head of the house..Common sense tells you no-one can be supported on £20 measly quid--especially on their earnings, common respect /consideration for you and your wife is not being shown.

You asked, so I'm saying as I see it--If it were me I'd raise their lodgings to a SENSIBLE amount,YOU decide that amount..
if they grumbled or declined, I'd tell 'em to find elsewhere,& mean it..
Sorry if you don't like my answer--your sons are USERS.
Im 100% sure Stan woundnt take offense hes asked for everyones opinion and thats what hes getting thumbs

I agree £20 is a joke,
if you consider to rent for a one bed flat would cost you say £425 a month plus com tax plus electric plus water and maybe gas plus food, and I am not talking about all the other bills tha crop up, lets say £800 a month to round it up approx, thats £9600 PA much less than half the 25K they are earning,

I have to ask what the hell are they spending there money on ??? and if they are not throwing it away why are they not paying you the correct rate for there keep at the very least,
I would suggest costing up there keep penny for penny and present the bill to them/ him, either pay it or move on !! there comes a limit to the free lunch bit even for a parent, I know, I have the tee shirts for my two. :-)
Keith

i'm saying nowt stan cos i'm in the same situation with my eldest.
thrown him out three times and been persuaded to take him back,he left of his own accord two weeks before xmas to rent a house with two of his mates guesse what he came back last week said he could'nt afford it.
of course our lass has had to redecorate his room Huh i can't get in the garage for his shit,the house is cluttered with stuff and to top it off he's bought another car to either sell or fix so now he's got two cars round the back of the house head bang the things you have to do to keep the missus happy. right i'm off to fit his new carpet confused H

i was paying £20 rent for a bedsit in 1982 in carlisle and still had utility fees on top of that,there taking the mick stan and need to stand on there own two feet,i know its cheaper up north but thats just having a laugh m8