Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cham2020

Have someone laughed at you for collecting Hotwheels?

Well, there are alot of people outside who don't understand our passion for small cars. I remember once during a class trip to KLCC, i bought alot of Hotwheels, then one gal told me, Why you spend so much money on this? Better save them!Waste of money only.
Generally I was pissed but I just smiled and told her: I can afford it.. anything wrong?

Recently I knew her elder brother was also a Hotwheels collector.. What the? Contradicting statements Suspect
During last promo, she asked me help her bro to get some cars bounce

that means she already eat up her own words,
so, do you buy anything for him?? RazzRazz

Always will have ppl saying why still play with toy cars.

Usual questions I get from ppl when buyin HW/MBX are :-
a. Abang buat ape dgn kete² nih?
b. Abang collect kete jgk ke?
c. Byk dah abg collect?

But the best so far was:-
Ai..dah besar² camni pun main kete lg ke? Razz

Staff usually will ask me
"collect banyak ke?"

jhc7598 wrote:
that means she already eat up her own words,
so, do you buy anything for him?? RazzRazz

i got a few for him
but then she told me ... i hope my bro find something rare then can put at amcorp sell at high price! clown

aphong2681 wrote:
c. Byk dah abg collect?

they call you abang huh?haha........

to me the most sick question will be
1) you buat collection ker?

<_<

even my friends say something must be wrong with me, collecting toy cars..LOL..

and then, like what the others have said, the staff would/ and is curious of how many cars we have.. :p

cham2020 wrote:
aphong2681 wrote:
c. Byk dah abg collect?

they call you abang huh?haha........

to me the most sick question will be
1) you buat collection ker?

Still ok la, rather than call me uncle.. hahaha.. mb coz most promoters r part-timers juz finishing their studies..
Some of my colleague & friends used to feel that it was a waste of $, but now no longer felt so..

Anyway OT jap..

Question: You buat collection ker?

Answer:
a. Habis tu? Boleh makan ke?
b. Nope, buat tukun ikan dlm akuarium..
c. No lar.. wife/gf I b'day..dia mintak kete sebijik..

Cheers! Razz

of all the ppl asked me, the only person i would like to avoid is my cousin auntie. She always asked the same question, "since you're collecting so many collectibles cars, why not collect the real 1:1 car? It makes sense right? rather than waste so much money on those tiny cars!"
the way she asked kinda of laughing at me.

danielh wrote:
of all the ppl asked me, the only person i would like to avoid is my cousin auntie. She always asked the same question, "since you're collecting so many collectibles cars, why not collect the real 1:1 car? It makes sense right? rather than waste so much money on those tiny cars!"

aww..poor thing.. the way they say, collect real 1:1 cars, like buying kacang puteh (not like its cheap anymore ! LOL)

danielh wrote:

you should say....'i can custom my car,if custom tak cantek.i can use paint stripper and 'undo' all and change tires/spoilers/bodykits my self.'

I always get the sticks from my parents... What a Face

During a previous school break, I used one luggage to transport 150 carded cars back home. When I opened the luggage once I reached... dad, mom, and younger brother were on site. I have never seen such huge eye balls... lol!

I suppose those who have younger siblings know what it's like right? When you get the sticks, you siblings will add some "catalyst" to the mix... Parents would say "so this is how you have spent your pocket money?" and the sibling would say "YALAH~ HAIH~~ HAIH~~" while shaking the head... lol!

The best part was... on that night while I was uncarding the 150 cars in order to put them on my display cabinet, my mom came and said: So late yet you still don't wanna sleep? Do you want me to help you uncard those cars??? ShockedShockedShockedlol!lol!lol!

Lesson learned... never show your parents the amount you bought although they know you always buy these things...

Another classical case came during the CNY break... whenever we passed a 7-Eleven my dad will ask: WANNA STOP BY AND HAVE A LOOK?? while mom will do her trademark "HAIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"...

lol!lol!lol!

Deep inside I know parents are quite supportive of my hobby and they have never teased me in front of house guests and relatives... it's as if my Hot Wheels cabinet is invisible to them... lol!

Parents will surely nag when we student bought these much Razz My dad would say that I'm wasting money buying these, but after that he will look at the car and enjoy the details.

hokuan wrote:
Parents will surely nag when we student bought these much Razz My dad would say that I'm wasting money buying these, but after that he will look at the car and enjoy the details.

Your statement reminds me of another classical quotes from my parents: WHY DO YOU KEEP BUYING? THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME...

Maybe I should bring back my Superbirds to let them have a look... Suspect

Then they'll ask you why one car buy so many colors..

my grandmother always say,buy these cars for wad lar..cannot sit ppl oso.but 5 minutes later she pulls out 20 bucks and give me as sponsoring me to buy hot wheels,same as my aunty just gave me 30 bucks for me today.HAULING TIME!!$$$$!!!LOL~~!

i do have a classic story to tell. once my fren when oversea, i saja tumpang him to help me lookout for t-hunts. since he duno what is hotwheels, i thought teach him to see green card easier. i told him as long as u see beside there is green color, please sapu back for me... few week passed and back he come. he called me immediately after he reach malaysia saying that oversea nobody like u gila kereta la. he saw green card everywhere and ask me to go his house to collect them. when i reach his house i almost pengsan!!! banyak kereta matchbox card tepi hijau... luckily he bought 10 only. lesson learn - not everybody know what is hot wheels even it is written on the card...

titaniumboss wrote:
i do have a classic story to tell. once my fren when oversea, i saja tumpang him to help me lookout for t-hunts. since he duno what is hotwheels, i thought teach him to see green card easier. i told him as long as u see beside there is green color, please sapu back for me... few week passed and back he come. he called me immediately after he reach malaysia saying that oversea nobody like u gila kereta la. he saw green card everywhere and ask me to go his house to collect them. when i reach his house i almost pengsan!!! banyak kereta matchbox card tepi hijau... luckily he bought 10 only. lesson learn - not everybody know what is hot wheels even it is written on the card...

lol..........

Hahaha, Matchbox got no T-Hunts.....! anyway, yeah, students especially like me, I just like to keep it simple, nothing too serious, coz I've no deep pockets.

Anyway back to the story, I once went with a friend, who was a girl (not girlfriend but a girl-friend), says, "you buy these?, I said yeah, so?" and she said,"hmm, cute"

WTF....!???

I'm asking (forcing) my brother to get me the Garage 288 GTO and VW Fastback since he's studying there... hopefully he doesn't get me something else... Razz

It is something i am ashamed of... Been to alot of department stores and a handful of parents always giving me that wtf look...maybe they're wondering why a guy of my age is browsing/buying through the rack of toys made for kids..

But who cares, it's my hobby. Not to mention it's fun...specially finding a model that you really like or is hard to find.(Or maybe...both.)

Nrik Kueh wrote:
It is something i am ashamed of... Been to alot of department stores and a handful of parents always giving me that wtf look...maybe they're wondering why a guy of my age is browsing/buying through the rack of toys made for kids..

But who cares, it's my hobby. Not to mention it's fun...specially finding a model that you really like or is hard to find.(Or maybe...both.)

I would just look at the kids with the impression "Buzz off kiddo', I've got some hunting to do... SHOO~!"

Nrik Kueh wrote:

same thing always happen to me, so many parents looking at me but i just says, i buy them for my childrens, even tho i'm not having one yet, RazzRazz

Nrik Kueh wrote:

exactly.......

a nice topic here...

myself, people also ask me alot, why collect all these cars since youre a grown up? i told this.. " masa kecik tak de duit nak beli mainan, dah besar ni balas dendam.." ok what... i still remember last time my parent tell me to buy using my own money, so bila dah besar, they also cannot say anything.. hehe..

ADVedder wrote:
a nice topic here...

myself, people also ask me alot, why collect all these cars since youre a grown up? i told this.. " masa kecik tak de duit nak beli mainan, dah besar ni balas dendam.." ok what... i still remember last time my parent tell me to buy using my own money, so bila dah besar, they also cannot say anything.. hehe..

nice answer man

fully agreed with you cham2020. Have money can buy. more money more buy. no end...lol

danielh wrote:

this is insulting man.....
if i am you i will ask her back, why bother to waste money on clothes and make up when you are so old and no guys will look at you. same also wat

Who hasn't been laughed at???? At least us married guys can tell our wives that because we have this hobby we haven't got the time or money to be out chasing other women

Thorrr wrote:
Who hasn't been laughed at???? At least us married guys can tell our wives that because we have this hobby we haven't got the time or money to be out chasing other women

I have use this excuse so many time at my wife. Now she ok. But dont go overboard' ..no money to buy food or books for kid & yet can spent on hobby.

cham2020 wrote:
danielh wrote:

this is insulting man.....
if i am you i will ask her back, why bother to waste money on clothes and make up when you are so old and no guys will look at you. same also wat

thanks for the concern. afterall whatever shes say doesn't bothers me anymore, i'm happy with my favourites hobbies and collections ( but not collecting girls or mistress! ) Afterall, i'm not the only collectors here..guys, agree?

Well, some did laughed at me.

Apparently yesterday, after school I went straight to 7E and back to school since I have some stuff to do. My friends were sitting in the canteen as I made my way pass there. They called me and I went to their table... I bought my CLS and Ford Focus and one of them laughed at me for buying these kind of cars. My other friend said ''Do you still play these childish stuff?''. I was a bit shy that time but I just told them that I collect them... Ah well. They just keep their mouth shut after I told them I have more than a hundreds of cars...

ADVedder wrote:
a nice topic here...

+1

hokuan wrote:
Usually girls will laugh at us..

yeap........

Fadli85 wrote:
Hahaha, Matchbox got no T-Hunts.....! anyway, yeah, students especially like me, I just like to keep it simple, nothing too serious, coz I've no deep pockets.

Anyway back to the story, I once went with a friend, who was a girl (not girlfriend but a girl-friend), says, "you buy these?, I said yeah, so?" and she said,"hmm, cute"

WTF....!???

Ok what, she thinks u cute! Oh wait, or the car is cute?

If people ask me, i just give them the stare and clench my fist.......

netmatrix wrote:
If people ask me, i just give them the stare and clench my fist.......

tell the hulk dialogue............don't make me angry!!!!

Well i wasn't thinking of "Hulk Smash!!!" kind of thing. But if looks could kill.......

Raymond wrote:
hokuan wrote:
Usually girls will laugh at us..

yeap........

ya..

This hobby is better than alot of other things people do in their free time.. like gambling, drinking, disturbing public peace. The collectors are helping to keep the HW factory in M'sia open and create jobs there..

Especially now that I am working and supporting myself, not many people can make fun of this hobby. Actually this hobby is very common, that's why there are so many brands and all kinds of scale models out there, catering to all budgets!!

All i want to say now is.. keep it up!! this hobby is pretty much healthy.. unless someone in your family is missing his/her meals cos of the HW cars you buy...

wow enjoy reading ur guys experience lah...mine... all my collague laugh at me saying "masih macam budak2 lah kau ni" but when i explain the value of the cars through ebay or someone buying my collection with higher price they all melopong hearing the hws cars got some higer value when it's rare to find and when they get older..

conculsion i drag 3 of my collague got poison and join me collecting and hunting hotwheels ...cheers

I have no problem at if anyone laughed at me but so far everyone around me is cool with me, in fact they even hooked me up with more hw goodies hehe. But there's this priceless moment quite some time ago when ucb doin' his 7e hits.. was going through the cars and one small kid maybe 4-5 years old passed by and "ayah ayah tengok abang ni beli menan!" I like "ehhh.. shh.. shhh..". Lol.